PDA

View Full Version : Post-hike blues

MelNino
04-27-2010, 09:17
(sorry if this is mentioned before...I'm high on allergy meds and didn't bother to search. You may flog me later :))

I have yet to do any long distance trails, though I am starting to think about the Long Trail, and then the AT. What keeps me from starting soon is not so much the time, $$, and having to quit my job....its the post-hike blues.

After I finish my "day" hikes (usually hitting a peak withs ome friends) I get pretty bummed once I have to go back to the 'real' world. I can only imagine after hiking for weeks, months, the blues would be worse!!

If you get 'em, how do you deal with the post-hike blues?

sbhikes
04-27-2010, 09:21
Go hiking again and work somewhere that doesn't require a big commitment of your life energy. The real world is on the trail.

Spokes
04-27-2010, 09:22
I started a new hobby- homebrewing beer because you tend to say "Cheers!" a lot.......

Mags
04-27-2010, 09:29
Same link as posted before. I just spend more time outdoors.. :)

http://www.facebook.com/album.php?aid=97468&id=563440020&l=54ced992c0

It also helps my "real' world is full of mountains easily accessible and close friends who also enjoy playing in the mountains, too.

Adayak
04-27-2010, 11:01
If you plan out set days on a calendar that you will go hiking it makes the wait easier to endure and gives you something to look forward to.

Tin Man
04-27-2010, 13:32
With teenagers keeping me close to home base, scouting helps me get out there at least once a month. As far as doing what I want to do, it helps being one of the trip planners . . . and doing my own thing when I don't like someone else's plan. :)

Pootz
04-27-2010, 14:26
It helps me to be in the planning phase of my next hike. Up next for me is the VT Long Trail. We have been planning it since last summers hike of the Northville / Placid Trail. And get back out there and hike as often as possible.

Nean
04-27-2010, 15:55
Them blues are just home sickness and culture shock. By understanding its not always fun adjusting to not having as much fun- find something you enjoy otherwise and focus on that.:sun

For me its coffee and the paper in the morn, beer and girls at night, and inbetween- giving my friends a hard time on WB!:D

MelNino
04-27-2010, 16:59
Them blues are just home sickness and culture shock. By understanding its not always fun adjusting to not having as much fun- find something you enjoy otherwise and focus on that.:sun

For me its coffee and the paper in the morn, beer and girls at night, and inbetween- giving my friends a hard time on WB!:D

Ha....this sounds like a good temporary "cure" for me...in fact, I may be using the beer & friends tonight!

chief
04-27-2010, 17:31
(sorry if this is mentioned before...I'm high on allergy meds and didn't bother to search. You may flog me later :))

I have yet to do any long distance trails, though I am starting to think about the Long Trail, and then the AT. What keeps me from starting soon is not so much the time, $$, and having to quit my job....its the post-hike blues.

After I finish my "day" hikes (usually hitting a peak withs ome friends) I get pretty bummed once I have to go back to the 'real' world. I can only imagine after hiking for weeks, months, the blues would be worse!!

Really you need to stop being such a drama queen. It's only a hike!

Bear Cables
04-27-2010, 17:37
I plan another hike, read trail guides to places I dream of going and then head out to the golf course :)

Tin Man
04-27-2010, 21:20
I plan another hike, read trail guides to places I dream of going and then head out to the golf course :)

The A-Teen green trail leads to the 19th watering hole, a favorite hike and destination for sure.

MelNino
04-28-2010, 09:02
Really you need to stop being such a drama queen. It's only a hike!

Like, totally :D

Blue Jay
04-28-2010, 09:29

Very few can hike all the time (for some reason Stumpknocker comes to mind). Find a place to live near a trail. It does not have to be very long, even a half mile will do. It just has to be reasonably wild.
With very little imagination and a few hours you can be anywhere, AT, PCT, Alaska. This works.:welcome

Jonnycat
04-28-2010, 09:36
Find somewhere online where other trail junkies go and hang out with them. There's gotta be somewhere like that.

wrongway_08
04-28-2010, 10:12
I like to smoke a lot of dope to kill the blues ....... makes you forget you have the blues ......... man those are some cool clouds, looks like pappa smurf ...........

Just kidding .... :)

Go hike another trail ....... :)