PDA

View Full Version : Experiment with Google and WhiteBlaze

attroll
10-21-2004, 00:55
I am going to conduct an experiment and I am hoping that some of you will help me with this experiment. I probably should not do this but I want to see if this actually helps our ratings on Google. First off let me explain I am not doing this to try and boost our rankings on Google. I just want to see if this is one of the ways Google does it rankings.

What I am asking is that if some of you would go to Google and do a search for “Appalachian Trail” and scroll down through the pages until you find WhiteBlaze. We should be on page 3. Then click on WhiteBlaze from the listing. I figure if we can get about 100 people to do this then this will help me test this theory.

Uncle Wayne
10-21-2004, 01:44
I am going to conduct an experiment and I am hoping that some of you will help me with this experiment. I probably should not do this but I want to see if this actually helps our ratings on Google. First off let me explain I am not doing this to try and boost our rankings on Google. I just want to see if this is one of the ways Google does it rankings.

What I am asking is that if some of you would go to Google and do a search for “Appalachian Trail” and scroll down through the pages until you find WhiteBlaze. We should be on page 3. Then click on WhiteBlaze from the listing. I figure if we can get about 100 people to do this then this will help me test this theory.

You're right, middle of page 3 when I tried it at 12:40 a.m. cdt.

sprocket
10-21-2004, 01:48
Are you a moderater and trying to gain better visibility for this site? If so, email me directly and we can discuss options to move you onto the frontpage of an "appalachian" search. I own a web development firm here in Massachusetts.....It's what allows me to hike whenever I'd like:)

attroll
10-21-2004, 02:03
Are you a moderater and trying to gain better visibility for this site? If so, email me directly and we can discuss options to move you onto the frontpage of an "appalachian" search. I own a web development firm here in Massachusetts.....It's what allows me to hike whenever I'd like:)
I just emailed you. Thank you for the offer.

Pencil Pusher
10-21-2004, 04:26
I did just that on Google. I did notice that the web address for this was without the www prefix. I also noticed that for the Whiteblaze "Favorites" link I have. I modified it for the future and wonder if that was the cause of the sometimes seemingly long delays of the website loading. Anyhow, good luck in your quest to get Whiteblaze repositioned for Google.

nero
10-21-2004, 11:10
I did just that on Google. I did notice that the web address for this was without the www prefix. I also noticed that for the Whiteblaze "Favorites" link I have. I modified it for the future and wonder if that was the cause of the sometimes seemingly long delays of the website loading. Anyhow, good luck in your quest to get Whiteblaze repositioned for Google.The reason the web address doesn't have www in front is that the owner of the whiteblaze.net domain name has it setup so all http requests, no matter if the machine name is www or not go to the same website.

urls generally have this form (assuming just one web site is running on one machine)

protocol://machine_name.domain_name.top_level_domain

-Nero

Bjorkin
10-21-2004, 11:47
If you're looking for visitors to find your site for the term "Appalachian Trail" then one of the best things you can do is have in-bound text links from other sites list the link as "Appalachian Trail." Don't use banners. It's a waste of space. In-bound links and lots of content are the keys to success online

MisterSweetie
10-21-2004, 12:20
You're right, middle of page 3 when I tried it at 12:40 a.m. cdt.
Link number four on page 3 at 11:20 CST 2004.10.21.

chknfngrs
10-21-2004, 12:48
#5 on page 3, 12:48EST

Rain Man
10-21-2004, 13:58
What I am asking is that if some of you would go to Google and do a search for “Appalachian Trail” and scroll down through the pages until you find WhiteBlaze. We should be on page 3. Then click on WhiteBlaze from the listing. ....

DONE.

I was shocked (?) to see the Georgia AT Club on page one of the Google results. You might contact their webmaster and see how he/she does it. I feel certain that WhiteBlaze gets tremendously more hits and is a much larger site than the GA AT Club site.

Rain Man

Alligator
10-21-2004, 14:14
Link #5 pg 3 at 14:14 EST on 10/21/04. There third link was a page within the second link, (GATC).

brian
10-21-2004, 14:50
I think google works by searching the web (by computer) and scanning pages for *links*. If rates pages based on how many links there are from other web pages. Some organizations use this to their advantage. Go on google and search on "Miserable Failure". Hit "Im Feeling Lucky, which simply brings up the first page that is listed on the goodle search.Suprise, suprise on the first link :clap . THis is called a "Google Bomb", where groups of people strive to get a page to the top of the list by asking **everyone** who has a web page to add a link to the site being advertised on their own site. When google scans the site, the link is noted and it is added to the list of other websites. So, to get Whiteblaze on top of other pages, WB needs to get viewers who own webpages to add links (http://www.whiteblaze.net) to whiteblaze.com, so google counts them and helps to reconfigure the listings. I bet the Georgia AT club has some dedicated hikers who have their own webpages, with links to the GA AT site. I will be adding a WB link to my own site, to help further this cuase. You should too!

Brian
www.outdoorequipmentsupplier.com

mountaineer
10-21-2004, 15:06
Page 3, #5 at 2:05 pm.

Tim Rich
10-21-2004, 16:24
Page 3, #7 at 4:25p.m. Eastern

baseballswthrt
10-21-2004, 17:16
Page 3 # 5 10/21/04 1715

Anita

Dharma
10-21-2004, 18:04
Brian is right on with his answer. Google works by back references, how many websites link to whiteblaze.net. You need to get on people's websites and on AT websites. You also stand a better chance if the link is text (actually it must be text or google ignores it) and has indexable words in it like "appalachian trail". Google ignores links that have text like "click here".

MileMonster
10-21-2004, 18:26
I'll put a link to WB on my site when I get around to it.

www.milemonster.net

weary
10-21-2004, 22:27
Whiteblaze is 5 on page 3.

But for some reason, Trailplace is 5 on page 1. And Wingfoot discourages links. There's a secret we apparently haven't figured out yet.

Weary

attroll
10-22-2004, 01:09
wbdent Yes Brian is right. I knew this already. Google sends its spiders out to search the web and some of the rankings are based on how many other web sites have links to WhiteBlaze. But there is other critera besides that. That was why I was asking users to help by trying this little experiment. I have written to Google and asked how there rankings work. They wrote back and said they could not give out there secrets because if they did people would find ways to trick the ranking system.

wbdent I also did some changes that sprocket suggested. So now it is just a waiting game to see if it helped.

sprocket
10-22-2004, 01:12
it will......but you need to direct people to search for "Appalachian Trail" on google and my personal favourite, Dogpile. Clicking the link from here to Whiteblaze will help a wee bit.

sprocket
10-22-2004, 01:23
As an aside, Whiteblaze showing up under a search for "Appalachian Trail" will be partly dependant on the text of the actual index/homepage. I might suggest using the term in more than one location through out the splash page.....

attroll
10-22-2004, 01:34
OK. I will go and work on that a little bit now. I hae done that before in the past.

Uncle Wayne
10-22-2004, 02:29
Still on page 3, link 4, at 1:25 a.m. cdt 10-22-04.

Jersey Bob
10-22-2004, 10:03
at least 10 characters

sprocket
10-22-2004, 10:06
"Appalachian trail forums"....page 1 numeral uno.

Smee
10-22-2004, 13:06
Came up #4 on page 3.