PDA

View Full Version : Announcing UBN: a social network for ultralight backpackers

Zach Denton
04-27-2010, 14:03
I've been lurking here at WhiteBlaze for some time and, although the forums are great for discussing topics anonymously, they do not allow you to connect with individual hikers.

Many of you may use Facebook, which is great for connecting and communicating with your friends. Unfortunately, most of the friends you have on there are probably not hikers, and thus you cannot discuss hiking with them.

Wouldn't it be great to have a "Facebook" for hikers? I certainly think so. That way you could update your status with the latest gear you have purchased/made or post your current location on the trail. Plus, you could upload your hiking photos and share it with a community that appreciates them. Furthermore, you would have a hiking-specific profile, where you can post your gear lists and list of hiking trips that you've been on. It would be easy to send out a message to people on your friends list to organize a section hike.

Therefore, it is with great pleasure I announce the release of UltralightBackpackingNetwork (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net): a social network for ultralight backpackers. I think that this will be a great website to use for connecting with individual members of the community.

Furthermore, UBN (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/) features an articles section which aims to be a free, centralized repository for ultralight backpacking information. WhiteBlaze contains a wealth of information, but the information is scattered about the site. If any ultralight backpacking experts out there would like to assist me as a guest author in assembling this knowledge, just sign up at UBN (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/) and contact me (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/members/admin/).

Note that since UBN (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/) has only just been released, there aren't many members yet. Therefore, it's up to you to sign up (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net) and maximize the utility of the website. I encourage you to invite any backpackers you know to join the website so that they, too, may benefit from UBN (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/).

p.s. We're currently working on a feature that allows hikers to update their status from the trail using a mobile phone. This feature should be out any day now and will be great for thru-hikers who want to let their friends and family know exactly where they are and what they're doing.

DocHolliday
04-28-2010, 01:55
Social networking sites are becoming a plague.

That's just what I want to do, update my status on the trail.

"Doc is just wanted to let you all know that I'm cleaning my armpits with a scrap of towel and some camp suds."

"Doc is currently chaffing a **** ton."

...give me a break.

Zach Denton
04-28-2010, 02:29
Doc, although there has been a profusion of social networking sites recently, you're missing the intrinsic value of UBN.

UBN is geared specifically toward ultralight backpackers, meaning that almost anyone on the site would be willing to plan a trip with you or discuss the pros and cons of their gear.

You know all the great people you meet while hiking the AT? The goal is to be able to find them on UBN and maybe hike with them again sometime. At the very least you would be able to reminisce on the great time you had.

I think that most people will use the status updates for news that they feel is worth reading, such as "I just made it to Fontana" or "I'm testing out a new stove design - I'll let you guys know if it works!" Perhaps gear manufacturers will use this so that we get more insight into the design process. This will be a great way to stay up-to-the-minute in the ultralight backpacking community.

I'm offering UBN as a free service to hikers, and I think that it will be of great benefit to the community in the future.

Wolf - 23000
04-28-2010, 04:19
Doc, although there has been a profusion of social networking sites recently, you're missing the intrinsic value of UBN.

UBN is geared specifically toward ultralight backpackers, meaning that almost anyone on the site would be willing to plan a trip with you or discuss the pros and cons of their gear.

You know all the great people you meet while hiking the AT? The goal is to be able to find them on UBN and maybe hike with them again sometime. At the very least you would be able to reminisce on the great time you had.

I think that most people will use the status updates for news that they feel is worth reading, such as "I just made it to Fontana" or "I'm testing out a new stove design - I'll let you guys know if it works!" Perhaps gear manufacturers will use this so that we get more insight into the design process. This will be a great way to stay up-to-the-minute in the ultralight backpacking community.

I'm offering UBN as a free service to hikers, and I think that it will be of great benefit to the community in the future.

Zach,

UL Backpacking is not about what gear someone uses or doesn't uses. It often depends on the level of experience of the hiker using it. Which goes on to their reasoning to list something as having pro/cons - it is all the prospective of the users how they are using their equipment and what they are hiking. For example, is an alcohol stove better than a white gas stove? An alcohol stove is clearly lighter but also takes more fuel to boil water. If you're hiking in very cold temperatures or say sharing your stove with another person, then a gas stove might make more sense over an alcohol stove in the sense they will be carrying less weight in fuel to do the same task. A gear list doesn't tell you any of that.
Also how experience is this hiker posting. I'm sorry to be harsh on some people but there are a lot of BS out there that boost about UL hiking but bail out the first when the weather gets bad or have to rely on others hikers for their safety.

While hiking, I've met some extremely great hikers in my time. Some were UL others were not. There are already a lot of forms that we stay in touch. One guy I met briefly for a few minutes looked me up 14 years later. I guess I had that much impact on his hike he looked me up. Anyway, my personal favorite is seeing everyone at the ALDHA Gathering. You should consider joining if you have not already.

Wolf

Zach Denton
04-28-2010, 06:03
UL Backpacking is not about what gear someone uses or doesn't uses. It often depends on the level of experience of the hiker using it. Which goes on to their reasoning to list something as having pro/cons - it is all the prospective of the users how they are using their equipment and what they are hiking. For example, is an alcohol stove better than a white gas stove? An alcohol stove is clearly lighter but also takes more fuel to boil water. If you're hiking in very cold temperatures or say sharing your stove with another person, then a gas stove might make more sense over an alcohol stove in the sense they will be carrying less weight in fuel to do the same task. A gear list doesn't tell you any of that.

Wolf, this is sound advice. One should always evaluate a decision before taking action. Furthermore, it is important that you have a gear system that works for you.

Forums like WhiteBlaze are great for evaluating individual items in a gear system. Most of the "gear list" topics on here are posted by hikers who still haven't finalized their system. Others comment and state which items they are missing. This is a great resource for learning about individual components of the system but not for learning about entire systems that work.

On UBN, however, you list a gear system that you are experienced with -- the gear you currently use when hiking. By listing the gear you use in your UBN profile, you are providing an example of a fully functioning gear system. You can then share with other hikers exactly how this system works for you.

With that in mind, the main focus of UBN is not posting your gear list. Rather, it is designed to facilitate discussion between individuals. The gear list section merely provides a topic of discussion and an example of a working system.

Also how experience is this hiker posting. I'm sorry to be harsh on some people but there are a lot of BS out there that boost about UL hiking but bail out the first when the weather gets bad or have to rely on others hikers for their safety.
Let me begin by saying that I do not claim to be an expert -- far from it. I am constantly learning new things.

In real life, I have noticed that one learns best from individuals -- mentors. These people are typically highly knowledgeable about specific topics, and are happy to share what they know. On UBN, you would be able to connect with such mentors and learn in a far more personal manner. Note that this is not a one way interaction -- they share what they know with you, you share what you know with others, and so on.

As far as my experience is concerned, I first started backpacking when I was 11. I did a section of the AT with some of the guys from my scout troop. We started out at some point in western MD and ended up in Harpers Ferry. Since then I've been hooked and recently I went on a 7-day trip in the southernmost alpine region of Sweden. In about four weeks I will be going backpacking in Switzerland for about 10 days. Hopefully in the fall I will be thru-hiking the JMT and then next spring I will be thru-hiking the AT. However, I feel that all of this is irrelevant; after all, it is you who should be contributing to the UBN community.

While hiking, I've met some extremely great hikers in my time. Some were UL others were not. There are already a lot of forms that we stay in touch. One guy I met briefly for a few minutes looked me up 14 years later. I guess I had that much impact on his hike he looked me up. Anyway, my personal favorite is seeing everyone at the ALDHA Gathering. You should consider joining if you have not already.

It's great that you were able to reconnect with hikers that you met on the trail. On the other hand, it is a shame that it took 14 years for that guy to find you. That's 14 years of great experiences you could have had together.

I feel that UBN is the natural progression in inter-hiker communications. On UBN, you can search for someone by name or trail name and instantly contact them.

Although I have never been to the ALDHA Gathering, I understand that it is a wonderful event. I will definitely be joining after I finish my thru-hike. However, ALDHA is an annual event. With UBN, you don't have to wait until October to talk to your friends -- you can talk with them right now.

DocHolliday
04-28-2010, 06:56
I don't mean to diss your hard work and efforts, but I really don't see any unique benefit that UBN brings to the table.

In fact, if anything it breaks down the widespread focus that makes websites like WhiteBlaze so valuable. The only thing your current website would effectively accomplish is the division of hikers into smaller groups, and taking away from the mass posting and exchange of information.

It's a nice site, and the idea seems well founded, but you need to take into consideration the services that your demographic seeks. Take some times to survey the local communities, find out what they're lacking, and provide it to them.

Also take into consideration the age group you're dealing with. These 'ol farts don't want to go anywhere. :p:D:)

Zach Denton
04-28-2010, 14:32
Doc, you seem to be a fairly opinionated fellow. What would you like to see in a site like UBN?

Johnny Thunder
04-28-2010, 14:38
Social networking sites are becoming a plague.

Says the character on a social networking site...

David@whiteblaze
04-28-2010, 14:45
Hmm, I only have two comments: First, why ultralight? I have a 25# gear and 4 day food weight, and just because someone wants to bring an extra camp chair or game, does that mean they are excluded? Sure, most hikers on the AT end up whittling their weight down along the way, but if they don't to your standards? And second, it sounds like the only thing that you don't see here is a button next to the online status of a user that says "IM with this user" just thinking...

mtnkngxt
04-28-2010, 15:02
Pay no attention to Doc Holiday, he is a new resident troll. Then I looked at where he was from, and was not suprised.

Mags
04-28-2010, 15:23
Pay no attention to Doc Holiday, he is a new resident troll. Then I looked at where he was from, and was not suprised.

Hey..put a kibosh on the personal attacks. :) Doc gave a reasonable opinion that was not strident. It is ok to disagree as long as you are not disagreeable. Doc was not. :)

Zach Denton
04-28-2010, 15:24
Hmm, I only have two comments: First, why ultralight? I have a 25# gear and 4 day food weight, and just because someone wants to bring an extra camp chair or game, does that mean they are excluded? Sure, most hikers on the AT end up whittling their weight down along the way, but if they don't to your standards? And second, it sounds like the only thing that you don't see here is a button next to the online status of a user that says "IM with this user" just thinking...
Thanks for the feedback, David. It's true, UBN is focused on ultralight backpackers. It's a great site if you want to become ultralight or are ultralight and want to share with the rest of the ultralight community.

However, within the next few weeks or so we will be releasing a website open to all backpackers and hikers. So far the response has been mostly positive so we will try to get that site launched as soon as possible. I'll be back with more information about that when it is released.

white_russian
04-28-2010, 15:34
However, within the next few weeks or so we will be releasing a website open to all backpackers and hikers. So far the response has been mostly positive so we will try to get that site launched as soon as possible. I'll be back with more information about that when it is released.

Wouldn't it make more sense to start a website for regular folks and set aside sections for things ultralight. I mean in your first post you say that information on whiteblaze is fragmented, but having two completely different sites is even worse.

Graywolf
04-28-2010, 15:42
Wouldn't it make more sense to start a website for regular folks and set aside sections for things ultralight. I mean in your first post you say that information on whiteblaze is fragmented, but having two completely different sites is even worse.

WB does have 2 completly different sites, One is strictly on Hammocking..Whats wrong with a guy wanting to have one strictly on ULB?? I see nothing wrong with it..Why isn't there one on tarping?? But I guess it too would get lots of negative post because someone doesn't agree with it..

His site is young, Let it grow..It is for Ultra lighting. let it be...

Good job..Good to see someone branching out into other hiking realms

Graywolf

Zach Denton
04-28-2010, 15:49
This would be a great point if we were talking about, say, cars, and I made a website solely for Maserati owners. It would obviously be more logical in this case to have a website for cars in general and then make a Maserati section, Lamborghini section, etc.

However, ultralight backpackers are unique in that the gear and techniques they use are simultaneously so specific and yet so diverse. What I mean by this is that while all of them seek to optimize the weight they carry, they do it in so many different ways. For instance, one UL backpacker may make his own UL hammocks (check this guy (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/members/psyculman/album/) out), while another may use a tarptent. Therefore, I feel it is justifiable to have a network specifically for ultralight backpackers.

Graywolf
04-28-2010, 16:04
Heres a good model for a backpacking social network:

www.hikersjournal.ning.com (http://www.hikersjournal.ning.com)

It even breaks down into different catagories, like one group is Ultra-Backpackers..One group is Appalachian Trail, etc.

Graywolf

white_russian
04-28-2010, 19:27
This would be a great point if we were talking about, say, cars, and I made a website solely for Maserati owners. It would obviously be more logical in this case to have a website for cars in general and then make a Maserati section, Lamborghini section, etc.

However, ultralight backpackers are unique in that the gear and techniques they use are simultaneously so specific and yet so diverse. What I mean by this is that while all of them seek to optimize the weight they carry, they do it in so many different ways. For instance, one UL backpacker may make his own UL hammocks (check this guy (http://www.ultralightbackpacking.net/members/psyculman/album/) out), while another may use a tarptent. Therefore, I feel it is justifiable to have a network specifically for ultralight backpackers.
That doesn't make any sense. I have a generally a UL kit and a generally heavyweight kit and value each piece of both. Occasionally I go full UL or full heavyweight, but mostly somewhere in the middle. You seem to think that UL and not UL are exclusive and can not coexist, but they can. It is not black and white.

DocHolliday
04-28-2010, 22:17
Doc, you seem to be a fairly opinionated fellow. What would you like to see in a site like UBN?

All of my current needs are served here at whiteblaze. You'll have to do a survey to see what others may find beneficial.

Says the character on a social networking site...

I'm not here to make friends, I'm here to extend my wisdom. Friends would just be a pleasant side effect. =P

Thanks for the back up Mags. I don't understand this new internet culture where people are in constant suspicion of 'trolls'. I just wanted to help Zach enhance his website, and give him some reality on how challenging it is to create a web community. Making a website is one thing, but providing a platform that is powerful enough to cause a migration of users from a different site is another. There's a lot more pencil and paper time than there is PHP time.

And what's wrong with Rochester? :-?

I know we have lots of bridges, but I'd hardly call the city a troll village... :rolleyes:

Tinker
04-28-2010, 22:23
I thought there already was a site for ultralight backpacking:
www.backpackinglight.com (http://www.backpackinglight.com)

How many do we need? - and, as another poster alluded to, and I will concur - how many notices do I really want in my email box reading "so-and-so commented on so-and-so's response to such-and-such?
Go for it. If it doesn't work, it doesn't work. If it does, it does. You probably won't see me there anytime soon, but it might just be the thing that floats someone's boat.

Knees
04-28-2010, 22:29
There doesn't seem to be much at your site. Am I missing something? What are you offering that Whiteblaze, Trail Journals, and FB don't already offer?

Jonnycat
04-28-2010, 22:35
http://img405.imageshack.us/img405/5638/spamspam.jpg

David@whiteblaze
04-28-2010, 22:52
hahahahahahaha ^^^ he's offering the one thing that whiteblaze, facebook, and trail journals don't have... combination... it's like the old world... it was great, but then they invented america, and voila'... instant pudding... oh sorry, I'm hungry... they made a mixing pot of cultures so we can each follow our own, and/or glean from others... enchiladas, for instance, aare not typical southern baptist food...

Wolf - 23000
04-29-2010, 02:45
Forums like WhiteBlaze are great for evaluating individual items in a gear system. Most of the "gear list" topics on here are posted by hikers who still haven't finalized their system. Others comment and state which items they are missing. This is a great resource for learning about individual components of the system but not for learning about entire systems that work..

Something I learn a long time ago when I first started, no one can tell you how to hike the trail. It is something you have to learn for yourself. Before I left for my first hike I did the same thing, asked everyone what I should carry only to find out that I recieved some bad advise and the folks that gave it to me were no where around. I had to find my own way of doing things.

On UBN, however, you list a gear system that you are experienced with -- the gear you currently use when hiking. By listing the gear you use in your UBN profile, you are providing an example of a fully functioning gear system. You can then share with other hikers exactly how this system works for you.

With that in mind, the main focus of UBN is not posting your gear list. Rather, it is designed to facilitate discussion between individuals. The gear list section merely provides a topic of discussion and an example of a working system.

Why? Not everyone is a gear head. Most hikers will spend a couple hundred or thousands of dollars on their equipment. That is not something that you want to advertise to the world. To me, gear list are boring because botton line I'm going to carry what I want.

Let me begin by saying that I do not claim to be an expert -- far from it. I am constantly learning new things.

In real life, I have noticed that one learns best from individuals -- mentors. These people are typically highly knowledgeable about specific topics, and are happy to share what they know. On UBN, you would be able to connect with such mentors and learn in a far more personal manner. Note that this is not a one way interaction -- they share what they know with you, you share what you know with others, and so on.

As far as my experience is concerned, I first started backpacking when I was 11. I did a section of the AT with some of the guys from my scout troop. We started out at some point in western MD and ended up in Harpers Ferry. Since then I've been hooked and recently I went on a 7-day trip in the southernmost alpine region of Sweden. In about four weeks I will be going backpacking in Switzerland for about 10 days. Hopefully in the fall I will be thru-hiking the JMT and then next spring I will be thru-hiking the AT. However, I feel that all of this is irrelevant; after all, it is you who should be contributing to the UBN community.

Zach my post was not direct towards you or what you are trying to do. I've been backpacking UL for about 21 years. I've been doing it for a long time in all conditions/weather. My focus was direct more to many "UL hikers" that toot their horn on how light they have but rely on ideal conditions. When someone talks to them with any knowledge of UL, they seem clueless on the subject. Imaging going to a talk on backpacking and the instructor relying on you to teach him/her. How would you feel? It is sad to say but there are a lot of "expert" hikers that are not that good but have websites, write articles, etc. There is a popular backpacking magazine whoms gear review for example is often base on someone taking the gear out for little more than a weekend hike but they claim to be "experts".

It's great that you were able to reconnect with hikers that you met on the trail. On the other hand, it is a shame that it took 14 years for that guy to find you. That's 14 years of great experiences you could have had together.

Not really. If I want someone to know how to get in touch with me, I would give them my address/phone number or something. This is a guy that met for a few minutes that I don't know. If I was a woman, I might even felt a little stalked.

I feel that UBN is the natural progression in inter-hiker communications. On UBN, you can search for someone by name or trail name and instantly contact them.

Although I have never been to the ALDHA Gathering, I understand that it is a wonderful event. I will definitely be joining after I finish my thru-hike. However, ALDHA is an annual event. With UBN, you don't have to wait until October to talk to your friends -- you can talk with them right now.

You can do that on WB already and you are doing it right know.

I do hope you can make it to an ALDHA Gathering. I think you will really enjoy it.

Wolf

Zach Denton
04-29-2010, 05:14
There doesn't seem to be much at your site. Am I missing something? What are you offering that Whiteblaze, Trail Journals, and FB don't already offer?
UBN provides the functionality of all three of those websites in one centralized location. However, it does not seek to replace the individual websites you mentioned. It merely seeks to provide a better method for individual ultralight backpackers to communicate with each other.

Furthermore, some of you may have misunderstood me when I said that UBN is for ultralight backpackers. This is a guideline, not a rule. If you consider yourself interested in ultralight backpacking, but perhaps on the borderline of ultralight or you sometimes go comfort-driven, that's fine. UBN is open to anyone who is interested in ultralight backpacking. There are no strict rules saying who can and cannot join the site; only guidelines.

boarstone
04-29-2010, 06:36
Start ANOTHER hiking site? Yahoo is full of'em....

Mags
04-29-2010, 08:49
Why do I think there will be more posts on this thread ABOUT UBN than on UBN itself? :D

Good luck and all that... :)

Many of you may use Facebook, which is great for connecting and communicating with your friends. Unfortunately, most of the friends you have on there are probably not hikers, and thus you cannot discuss hiking with them.

Well, that's not strictly true. I've been in this community long enough where I know enough hikers (or they know me)..but we seldom discuss gear (even on FB). Gear is the least important of the outdoors. It may be somewhat important, but there are other parts of being in the outdoors far more important. :)

max patch
04-29-2010, 09:01
Give the OP a break, he's 17 years old.

I don't think you'll want me at your site -- I routinely start off around 45 pounds on day 1 of a week hike -- but good luck Zach with your site. If nothing else, I think you'll learn something about human behavior...

Zach Denton
04-29-2010, 09:28
Why do I think there will be more posts on this thread ABOUT UBN than on UBN itself? :D

Good luck and all that... :)

Well, that's not strictly true. I've been in this community long enough where I know enough hikers (or they know me)..but we seldom discuss gear (even on FB). Gear is the least important of the outdoors. It may be somewhat important, but there are other parts of being in the outdoors far more important. :)
Mags, you've got a great site. I remember coming across when I was first researching ultralight backpacking.

I think you might be surprised if you actually joined UBN. Three users have already discovered that they live in the same area, another guy has found a potential hiking partner for a JMT thru-hike, yet another guy has found a creative outlet to showcase his MYOG skills, etc.

It's a great site and if you try and decide it's not for you, that's fine. But I still think you should at least give it a shot before conclusively denouncing it.

Mags
04-29-2010, 10:11
I think you might be surprised if you actually joined UBN.

I would because I don't have the time for yet another website! :D

Good luck!

I But I still think you should at least give it a shot before conclusively denouncing it.

Never did denounce it. :) Just saying that I think this thread is gonna generate more posts than the website. :)

As for the gear thing..well, that's just my hobby horse. Shiny toys seem to be discussed out or proportion to other aspects of the outdoors...
Nothing to do with your website..it is the (online) outdoors community in general.

I sincerely wish you luck, though.

Zach Denton
04-29-2010, 15:44
I would because I don't have the time for yet another website! :D

Good luck!

Never did denounce it. :) Just saying that I think this thread is gonna generate more posts than the website. :)

As for the gear thing..well, that's just my hobby horse. Shiny toys seem to be discussed out or proportion to other aspects of the outdoors...
Nothing to do with your website..it is the (online) outdoors community in general.

I sincerely wish you luck, though.
Well, I propose a competition then. Let's see if this thread can generate more posts than UBN. This thread is already lagging far behind, so you better get posting!

DocHolliday
04-29-2010, 17:47
Don't challenge a drunk man.

Press
04-29-2010, 21:35
I agree with Max. Hang in there kid. Pretty cool that you are doing this, whether the stodgy old folks on here like or not. You appear to be a pretty smart 17 year old.