PDA

View Full Version : HELP a thru hiker - camera found near Buck Mountain, TN

Hokiehikergirl
04-27-2010, 14:06
Hi.. i'm new to the forum. This may not be the appropriate place to post this and if it's not, I'm sorry!

I found a camera on 4/16 near Buck Mountain, TN between Buck mtn Road and the mountaineer shelter. The hundreds of photos on it lead me to believe its a thru hikers. I posted a note at the Watauga trailhead with my contact information. I was scared to leave it where I found it because a front was moving in and we were about to get some serious rain. I'm posting it here as well in hopes that it will reach its owner.

I posted all the photos of people on a flickr account here:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/49647714@N05/?saved=1

Please contact me if you can help me locate the owner.

wornoutboots
12-06-2010, 15:39
I noticed Cowgirl was in a few of these pics so I emailed her the link, hopefully she'll be contacting you with some info

ChinMusic
12-06-2010, 15:43
I feel pretty confident that with your efforts Hokie that the owner will get their camera back. Good work.

drifters quest
12-06-2010, 21:55
That might be Jack Straws camera.. he was in all those locations with me when the pictures were taken.. he had a trail journal so ill try to get in touch and see. I think he lost his camera somewhere in NC just past elk park if I remember

BSF-Hiker
12-06-2010, 22:17
I sent Robby (Jack Straw) an email about this thread. Hopefully, he'll check in.

Hikerhead
12-06-2010, 22:21
Yeah, good work. I think this guy will get his camera back. Not too many times that has happened. He'll be thrilled. Hokiehikergirl.....I like that name. :)

Rain Man
12-07-2010, 10:39
Nice going HokieHikerGirl. So, are you a VT gal in Tiger territory?!

Rain:sunMan
Clemson '75

SouthMark
12-07-2010, 10:46
I feel pretty sure that it is Jack Straw's camera (Robby South). He did loose his camera in that area. He was hiking with Smokestack, Natedog, Cowgirl and others. I am his granddad. I will let him know about this asap. Thank you Hokiehikergirl. I will let you know and send you an address and shipping costs.

Hokiehikergirl
12-07-2010, 15:24
Hey guys I haven't been on in awhile!! I think it is indeed Jack Straw's through talking with SouthMark... as soon as I get his addy I'll mail it to him :)

I graduated from VT in 2002 with a B.S. in bio and in 2005 with an M.S. in bio.. I'm now at Clemson getting my Ph.D. in bio :)

I miss Hokie country, but I'm enjoying the weather down here in Clemson.

I did some AT hiking in VA over Thanksgiving break (from 614 near Arcadia to US11 in Troutville). It was nice to be back in VA :)

daylaandjasper
12-12-2010, 21:42
what a great thing! I lost my camera on my 01 thruhike (back in the film days- so luckily only lost a couple rolls- but I would have been thrilled to get it back!) you have banked yourself some awesome trail karma for your 2012 hike Hokiehikergirl!

Doodlebug AT 01/10

crazystick
01-05-2011, 00:04
WHat a great thing you did, I hope the camera found its way back to its owner.

less than two years ago I thru hiked the "river to river" trail, it goes through the shawnee wilderness in southern illinois, from the missouri river to the Mississippi, after completing the 200 mile hike i had TONS of pictures on my brand new (gift from my birthday a week prior to the trip) camera, I lost the camera on the train ride back home , it was probably stolen but I often think how badly i wish I had the pictures that documented that life changing hike.
I am happy to see a camera being found and returned, I am sure the person will be forever grateful.

Rocket Jones
01-05-2011, 07:43
You will never hear from someone who finds your gear if they don't know who it belongs to.

Someone on WB made a great suggestion about taking a picture of lost-and-found information like your name, phone number, reward offered, etc. Take the photo without a card in the camera, so the pic is stored in the main camera memory.

I build and fly rockets (hence the nickname) and always have my name and phone number on the rocket and/or chute somewhere. Over the years, I've gotten many happy calls from people who found rockets that had drifted away.

Rain Man
01-05-2011, 11:34
Someone on WB made a great suggestion about taking a picture of lost-and-found information like your name, phone number, reward offered, etc. Take the photo without a card in the camera, so the pic is stored in the main camera memory.

Same thing for jump/flash/thumb drives. Just create a little text file of that data and save it to the drive. Then it can be returned if found.

Rain:sunMan