PDA

View Full Version : Gatlinburg Report

Jack Tarlin
04-27-2010, 15:58
Greeting from scenic Gat Vegas!!

Here in town after getting rained out of the National Park and damn near killed by lightning. Rocky Top is an unfortunate place to be in an electrical storm. All's well here in a favorite Trail town and not a whole lot has changed since my last visit. Was looking for the banner across the main drag that says "Welcome to America's Premiere Cathouse City!!" but I must have missed it somehow. Did however enjoy walking past the Elvis-esque wedding chapel; 22 places that sold big knives and ninja outfits; the Wax Museum; Ripley's Believe it or Not!!; disgusting fudge emporia beyond count; at least three shops devoted to the lifework of the utterly vomitous Thomas Kincade ("Painter of light!!"); lots of fine velvet art, mostly wolves and faux native Americana scenery; and of course, last but not least, 400,000 of the ugliest T-shirts this side of a political Convention. Came damned close to getting one that depicted an extraordinarily lifelike and gory crucifixion with the catchy phrase "Body Piercing Saved My Life!!" but I somehow managed to resist and saved the $22.95 for something more useful, such as one of the finer potable products available in Clermont, Kentucky. (And very over-priced I might add, this sure ain't Nw Hampshire!) Oh, I also noted that the local Civic Center is presently and proudly hosting the 39th Annual (Count 'em!!) Solid and Hazardous Waste Conference, which seems somehow appropriate for Gat if you think about it. May have to go back downtown later and take a picture of the sign advertising this fascinating family event.

But seriously.....

All's actually OK here. Very friendly people, lots to see and do, and of course, countless places to eat. The new NOC Outpost is very handsome indeed, is somewhat larger than Rhode Island, and has a wonderful staff; sorry to see the probable end of the Happy Hiker but I'm glad there's a nearby replacement.

Most hikers still stay at the Grand Prix (extremely friendly staff this year by the way).

Also recommend the Smoky Mt. brew-pub; good food and drink and countless televisions, may go back to catch the Sox at dinnertime.

Other news: Re-Supply not great in town unless you take the shuttle bus to the supermarket; Public Library has also re-located well out of downtown. There's a great big Wahlgren's tho, which is actually a pretty reasonable place to get some supplies, snacks, healthcare stuff, etc.

Lastly, the NOC has a sign-up list for a free, yes FREE shuttle back and forth to Newfound Gap which a great help to those who don't care to hitch-hike.

All for now, someone wants this machine. Heading back to the high country tomorrow in hopefully improved weather and looking forward to finishing the Park......after all, the only thing better than arriving at GSMNP is leaving it behind.

white_russian
04-27-2010, 16:06
That shuttle is great news. I have zero problems sticking my thumb out, but hitching out of Gatlinburg did take me a while.

Rcarver
04-27-2010, 16:16
Jack, hate that I missed you through the park. I was at Spence Saturday night.

HikerRanky
04-27-2010, 16:46
The question is... did you eat the Mountain Burger at Smoky's? If not, you should really do it!

Ox97GaMe
04-27-2010, 17:06
you going back out to Rocky Top tomorrow or will you be starting at NFG? I have a crew going in to Derrick Knob tomorrow. If you are in that section, maybe we will see you.

Also, I know how much you LOVE the park. So here is a heads up. We havent finished clearing blow downs between Charlies Bunyon and Pecks Corner yet. That is Fri/Sat project. So take your time and enjoy the nice weather that is forecast for the next couple days. After that..... GET THE H*&% OUTTA MY BACKYARD!!!!! <LOL> See you in Damascus, if not sooner. :)

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 17:15
The new NOC Outpost is very handsome indeed, is somewhat larger than Rhode Island, and has a wonderful staff.

Cool, maybe now that the NOC is in at least three trail towns, people will stop referring to Wesser as NOC. Had to pick up my daughter in Wesser, and I promise you all, Wesser is on the map, "NOC" is not!

Rain:sunMan

Spokes
04-27-2010, 17:42
Never trust a town that sells "LIVE HERMIT CRABS"........

Tennessee Viking
04-27-2010, 18:43
Funny thing...they cleaned up the town.

Cool AT Breeze
04-27-2010, 20:48
:)
Funny thing...they cleaned up the town.
Not yet, Jack leaves tomorow.:)

Jack Tarlin
04-28-2010, 08:40
Ox:

Leaving this afternoon, hope to be at Standing Bear by the weekend, which is good cause they're calling for rain again at the end of the week.

The Trail looks great this year, by the way, so thanks to your group for all you do; a few massive blowdowns (some new) after Derrick and several more between Double Springs and Newfound but nothing to wrote home about.

Anyone in the area, drop by Standing Bear on Saturday.......looking forward to getting back to the Park and also looking forward to gettin' out of it!!

LoneRidgeRunner
01-02-2011, 00:59
Can anyone tell me if this is still available and how to make arrangements in advance? I'm planning a section hike of GSMNP around the 3rd week of March of 2011 and am considering going to Gatlinburg for resupply and r and r for 1 night. I'm not afraid to hitch hike but I imagine getting out of Gatlinburg and back to Newfound will be much harder hitching than from Newfound to Gatlinburg.

Sly
01-02-2011, 01:07
Can anyone tell me if this is still available and how to make arrangements in advance? I'm planning a section hike of GSMNP around the 3rd week of March of 2011 and am considering going to Gatlinburg for resupply and r and r for 1 night. I'm not afraid to hitch hike but I imagine getting out of Gatlinburg and back to Newfound will be much harder hitching than from Newfound to Gatlinburg.

It still should be available, although space is limited. New entry for the 2011 Companion

NOC’s Great Outpost (865) 277-8209 x1162, Full service outfitter, including free shuttle to/from Newfound Gap, free showers for hikers, internet access, white gas and alcohol fuel by the ounce. Shuttle leaves Newfound Gap at 8:30 AM, 12:45 PM, and 4:45 PM; shuttle leaves Gatlinburg at 8:00 AM, 12:00 PM, and 4:00 PM. Shuttle vehicle space limited to 4 hikers.

LoneRidgeRunner
01-02-2011, 01:20
It still should be available, although space is limited. New entry for the 2011 Companion

Thanks for the info Sly..much appreciated...:banana

Sly
01-02-2011, 01:25
Thanks for the info Sly..much appreciated...:banana

No problem, have a great hike!

wornoutboots
01-02-2011, 11:42

This may help as well http://www.cherokeetransit.com/

LoneRidgeRunner
01-02-2011, 12:13

Thanks wornout..

wornoutboots
01-02-2011, 17:32
Thanks wornout..
NP-what a great section!! I did NF to Standing Bear & NF to the NOC in the last year or so. I brought a ready made sign that said NF Gap & on the other side Cherokee/Bryson City if you need to hitch?

Sly
01-02-2011, 17:37

is that new? I'm not sure I ever saw it before.

wornoutboots
01-02-2011, 18:41
is that new? I'm not sure I ever saw it before.
I dont think so, I saw found it here I think looking for a ride for my last years section. I think it's $7 to go from Gatlinburg to Cherokee & it stops in NF G along the way