PDA

View Full Version : Hiker meets the Obamas

Lilred
04-27-2010, 16:48
Whattya know, Obama is hiker friendly.

Please don't destroy this thread by getting all political. Let's just be glad our president likes to hike and appreciates the trails we have.

Carolina Hiker Bumps Into President, First LadyUpdated: 21 hours 44 minutes ago
Print Text Size E-mail More
David Knowles
Writer

AOL News (April 26) -- On a remote wooded path in North Carolina on Friday, a 65-year-old woman took a solitary hike. Little did she know she'd meet President Barack Obama and the first lady along the way.

The chance encounter happened when Westerville, Ohio, resident Karen Russell was hiking the Mountains-to-Sea Trail just off the Blue Ridge Parkway, Asheville's Citizen-Times newspaper reported.

Jonathan Walczak, Citizen-Times
Karen Russell, of Westerville, Ohio, had a chance encounter with the president and first lady while hiking just off the Blue Ridge Parkway in North Carolina on Friday.
"It was just a little nondescript trail that I was on," Russell told the Citizen-Times, "and I didn't expect to find anybody there really, let alone the president."

The Obamas had landed in Asheville that same day to catch a weekend vacation. The presidential motorcade had driven the Blue Ridge Parkway for about 15 minutes when the first couple decided to get out and take an hourlong hike.

Russell, who had also come to North Carolina on vacation, had already been on her trail for an hour when she noticed the cars on the parkway below. Then, in the middle of the forest, two Secret Service agents approached her.

After asking Russell if she minded being checked with a metal detector, the agents made sure her camera was real and not a concealed weapon. Once cleared, Russell could scarcely believe who she saw next.

"And then I probably went 10 feet and I couldn't believe it," she told the Citizen-Times. "I just looked up and I said something really stupid, like, 'Are you who I think you are? You are!' "

The Obamas shook her hand, and stopped to chat for a moment before wishing her well and continuing on their way.

"Talk about a strange meeting of time and space," said Russell, who told the president she had voted and campaigned for him in Ohio. "I was ecstatic, I really was."
Filed under: Nation

Shiraz-mataz
04-27-2010, 16:54
That's a really cool story! There HAS to be a joke about Governor Sanford out there somewhere... Anybody???

Nean
04-27-2010, 16:54
I enjoyed that, thanks!:sun

Rain Man
04-27-2010, 17:10
YEAH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
:banana
Rain:sunMan

moytoy
04-27-2010, 17:19
I wonder what would have happened if the woman had been carrying a legal concealed weapon. Just a thought.

white_russian
04-27-2010, 17:30
I wonder what would have happened if the woman had been carrying a legal concealed weapon. Just a thought.
hey look a troll

sidebackside
04-27-2010, 17:33
Read this in Backpacker Magizine or something liket that. Pretty cool story!

moytoy
04-27-2010, 17:35
I think that is a legitimate question. Many hikers do carry a legal weapon. What happens when one meets the President of the United States totally by accident?

flemdawg1
04-27-2010, 17:50
Very cool, whether you agree w/ his policies or not

Lyle
04-27-2010, 17:55
I will say that just last week President Obama and many of his administration officials invited approximately 500 leaders of outdoor oriented organizations to Washington for a meeting. I know NCTA Executive Director attended, and I believe ATC had a representative there. Not sure of what other trail organizations were in attendance, but I'm sure some. If I understand correctly, the President himself did meet briefly with them.

It's good to have a man (and woman) in the White House who is concerned with trails.

FritztheCat
04-27-2010, 17:57
Good! Every politician should get outside more often (other than golf courses).

Skidsteer
04-27-2010, 18:08
I think that is a legitimate question. Many hikers do carry a legal weapon. What happens when one meets the President of the United States totally by accident?

It could be a legitimate question. If you stipulate that someone can meet the President of the United States by accident. Unlikely. :rolleyes:

After asking Russell if she minded being checked with a metal detector, the agents made sure her camera was real and not a concealed weapon. Once cleared, Russell could scarcely believe who she saw next.

Tennessee Viking
04-27-2010, 18:28
I wonder if the Obama's will use their Secret Service nicknames as their trail names. Barack Obama's is "Renegade," and Michelle Obama's is "Renaissance."

ShakeyLeggs
04-27-2010, 19:16

Not a thing would happen as they are not breaking a law or threatening the president.

I think it is great that the POTUS and his wife went for a hike. I feel he should do more hiking as it is a great stress reliever.

Lone Wolf
04-27-2010, 19:42
i'm sure the meeting on the trail and subsequent photo was staged. BTW, Bush was an avid hiker, runner, biker

weary
04-27-2010, 20:25
i'm sure the meeting on the trail and subsequent photo was staged. ....
What evidence do you have -- other than your usual cynicism -- that makes you so sure? All wise folks test whether random happenings are truly random. But to be "sure" suggests a particularly virilous cynicism, a deadly virus that can destroy genuine human dialogue and human understanding.

Weary

Chaco Taco
04-27-2010, 20:33
What evidence do you have -- other than your usual cynicism -- that makes you so sure? All wise folks test whether random happenings are truly random. But to be "sure" suggests a particularly virilous cynicism, a deadly virus that can destroy genuine human dialogue and human understanding.

Weary
After all the time we spend on here, its probably just best to let this one go. It really aint worth it:rolleyes: Just tryin to save you the trouble:D

David@whiteblaze
04-27-2010, 22:06
what does it really matter? some guy and his wife took some time off to go walk in the woods. some lady bumped into them. now it's a story that's all over facebook, the news/sites and now hee? what's the whole deal? I wish I was him right now, instead of being here typing this...

Darwin again
04-27-2010, 22:19
i'm sure the meeting on the trail and subsequent photo was staged. BTW, Bush was an avid hiker, runner, biker

Hiker?
Proof please.

Alligator
04-27-2010, 22:30
Thread's not about Bush. Drop it.

Alligator
04-27-2010, 22:32
The secret service is definitely quicker than SPOT.

thepokerkid227
04-27-2010, 22:33
Whens Obama planning his thru hike? lol

DAJA
04-27-2010, 22:35
Yah gotta admit it would be more than strange to be approached and questioned by the secret service while hiking... Followed by a brief meeting with the President and First Lady..

So do the secret service wear trail runners or hiking boots with those spiffy suits?

Alligator
04-27-2010, 22:38
I don't know but they reportedly each have a set of James Bond Lekis.

double d
04-28-2010, 01:31
Yah gotta admit it would be more than strange to be approached and questioned by the secret service while hiking... Followed by a brief meeting with the President and First Lady..

So do the secret service wear trail runners or hiking boots with those spiffy suits?

Well DAJA, they could tell you, but they would have to kill you then!!!!

Connie
04-28-2010, 02:21
I looked at Today's Posts. I saw the thread title.

I saw it was in the General section of the forum. I had to look twice.

I really thought it was in the Humor section. Really.

The Secret Service: Do they wear sunglasses? Do they look like Mr. Smith, in The Matrix (the movie)? Do they have a shoe-phone like Agent Maxwell Smart?

The POTUS? Renegade and Renaissance?

Hiking may never be the same.

Shiraz-mataz
04-28-2010, 06:11
Oh c'mon... No one's got a dig about a certain governor from South Carolina? How about wondering if Michelle went hiking to make sure Barack didn't slip off to Argentina? (not good at jokes - someone else will have to provide the punchline)

Toolshed
04-28-2010, 06:31
Hung out with the Secret service for a day when Carter was flying into my airport back in 78. They were very friendly and had a sense of humor up until day 2. about 5 hours before the landing - they became quite serious. No Jokes and a peronality that meant "do it" whenever they tell you to do something.

On a lighter note, this is a warm up trip for him and the big O before they go on their hunting trip with Dick Cheney.

Old Hiker
04-28-2010, 07:11
Well DAJA, they could tell you, but they would have to kill you then!!!!

Or they could just give you a hint and beat you up!

Gray Blazer
04-28-2010, 07:34
Oh c'mon... No one's got a dig about a certain governor from South Carolina? How about wondering if Michelle went hiking to make sure Barack didn't slip off to Argentina? (not good at jokes - someone else will have to provide the punchline)

I don't see how you can joke about something like this! Don't cry for me, Carolina. I will have to report your post and you will be put in a Halliburton retraining camp!

max patch
04-28-2010, 08:35
Whens Obama planning his thru hike? lol

I can honestly say that I hope Obama does a leisurely SOBO starting June 1.

max patch
04-28-2010, 08:56
I hope Obama sticks to the AT; the publicity would wonders for the trail in terms of increased funding.

clodhopper
04-28-2010, 09:13
uh oh...thread..is...slipping....downhill.....can.... .anyone......save.....it.......? :)

Good thing it wasn't a throughiker---not sure the Secret Service has a protocol for dealing with that kind of stench.

Rain Man
04-28-2010, 09:34
The POTUS?

The President Of The United States.

And the Supreme Court is SCOTUS.

This thread should be in the Straight Forward forum, based on the gratuitous cracks some can't refrain from blessing us all with.

sherrill
04-28-2010, 09:35
I think it's safe to say, irregardless of your political leanings, that most politicians should take a hike.

Skyline
04-28-2010, 09:36
I wonder if the Obama's will use their Secret Service nicknames as their trail names. Barack Obama's is "Renegade," and Michelle Obama's is "Renaissance."

Very cool trail names.

Very cool First Family.

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2010, 09:40
It could be a legitimate question. If you stipulate that someone can meet the President of the United States by accident. Unlikely. :rolleyes:
That's true. No one just "bumps" into the president.

Yukon
04-28-2010, 09:41
I think it's safe to say, irregardless of your political leanings, that most politicians should take a hike.

Now that's a great quote!

flemdawg1
04-28-2010, 09:42
That's true. No one just "bumps" into the president.

Not unless your in a tux or evening dress and can smooth talk your way into a State Dinner.

Cookerhiker
04-28-2010, 09:42
I will say that just last week President Obama and many of his administration officials invited approximately 500 leaders of outdoor oriented organizations to Washington for a meeting. I know NCTA Executive Director attended, and I believe ATC had a representative there......

I believe Steve Paradis, the ATC Chief Operating Officer represented ATC.

Spokes
04-28-2010, 09:49
I wonder if Obama is:

- a tent or hammock guy?

- a filter or Aqua Mira guy?

- a purist or a blue blazer guy?

- a canister stove or alcohol stove guy?

- a boot or trail runner shoe guy?

- a trailjournals, postholer, trailphone, Facebook, or blogspot journal guy?

- a NOBO, SOBO, or Flip-Flopper guy?

Anybody know?

Gray Blazer
04-28-2010, 10:11
The President Of The United States.

And the Supreme Court is SCOTUS.

This thread should be in the Straight Forward forum, based on the gratuitous cracks some can't refrain from blessing us all with.

It is definitely hard to bite my tongue on this, but I'm trying really hard.

Pootz
04-28-2010, 10:39
What a nice story.

Looking forward to the President having the leisure time to do some more extended hiking; preferably this will start around 21 January 2013. :D

I second Jack's thought. A nice long vacation of him in 2013 will be nice.

This must have been the most expensive section hike in the history of the AT.

All joking aside it is nice for the AT to get the publicity and to see the President out doing my favorite activity.

Strategic
04-28-2010, 10:57
It just came as a bit of a (pleasant) surprise to me. I tend to think of both the Obamas as kind of "city folk" given their usual presentation. The President in particular always struck me as someone very fit, but much more likely to be in the gym than on the trail, with no more than an intellectual interest in the outdoors. I guess it's the executive image thing, which they both long ago adopted for fairly obvious professional reasons, that throws me off. That kind of image is just not what you usually associate with "hiker"; though that, like all assumptions, is usually disproved as often as proved.

Certainly glad to see that the President appreciates and values direct contact with nature and introduces his kids to it as well.

weary
04-28-2010, 10:59
I wonder if Obama is:

- a tent or hammock guy?

- a filter or Aqua Mira guy?

- a purist or a blue blazer guy?

- a canister stove or alcohol stove guy?

- a boot or trail runner shoe guy?

- a trailjournals, postholer, trailphone, Facebook, or blogspot journal guy?

- a NOBO, SOBO, or Flip-Flopper guy?

Anybody know?
Sure: The Obama's use a tent, drink untreated water from springs, blue blaze, ignore the internet, and mostly section hike -- I think!

jody
04-28-2010, 11:40
Funny how if your for the POTUS you can make jabs at those who are not!! I would much rather him be a hiker than a president and in that form would not mind meeting him on the trail at all!! So call me a Troll!!

LIhikers
04-28-2010, 11:49
One hike can just be for a change of pace, who knows. I'll know we have a friend of the trail if we find the first family out there a second and third time, or maybe in some rainy weather.

srestrepo
04-28-2010, 11:52

HOLY CRAP this is good stuff

Lion King
04-28-2010, 12:26
got that beat....

http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=DEVELOPEXEC#p/u/44/TUd2xeZP-Kw

Gray Blazer
04-28-2010, 12:28
Funny how if your for the POTUS you can make jabs at those who are not!! I would much rather him be a hiker than a president and in that form would not mind meeting him on the trail at all!! So call me a Troll!!

Amazing, ain't it.

Lilred
04-28-2010, 12:34
I second Jack's thought. A nice long vacation of him in 2013 will be nice.

This must have been the most expensive section hike in the history of the AT.

All joking aside it is nice for the AT to get the publicity and to see the President out doing my favorite activity.

He wasn't on the AT, he was on the Mountains to Sea trail

DavidNH
04-28-2010, 12:43
I wish every president would get out on the trails and see the magnificent wildlands we have. Before you can protect them you have to know them and experience them!

Nonetheless, this is a great story and great thread!

DavidNH

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2010, 13:03
There is a chance the SS staged it. Because they would have closed down the Parkway. Had the motorcade within an easy reach of the First Family. Made sure no crazy people were hiding in the woods. Then again, a few presidents have gone against the advice of the SS, and said I am going for a walk and 'you know what I am in the mood for a Big Mac.'

But we at the FMST definitely love the publicity the Obamas brought to our little trail.

weary
04-28-2010, 14:26
I think wise people like him in both roles. I know I do. But I don't know for sure about others.

Alligator
04-28-2010, 14:32
Hopefully more of our elected officials will make it out to the trails.

Unfortunately some folks consistently can't resist bashing the other side. Thread closed.