PDA

View Full Version : Plane/Flying

Sniddle
04-27-2010, 18:34
I'm flying for the first time in 2 years, what's new as far as regulations and checking a pack the entire way from Kansas City to Bangor. I know not to pack camping fuel.

What's the best way to secure all your stuff so nothing gets lost or broken?

Any no-no's that'll slow down the process or get me in trouble?

philly
04-27-2010, 21:21
i work for TSA and have checked many packs. I would recommend that if you could not over pack your pack. that would be great if it needs to be inspected. no fuel at all, no matches or lighters in your pack.

any questions let me know.

Erin
04-27-2010, 23:31
No fuel, no self ingiton stoves, no lighters, no matches. Follow all the rules which are posted on the airline website. Questionables in clear see thur baggies.
And when you come home, they will dive thru your dirty stuff anyway especially if you are older and female. The last time I flew thru Kansas City I watched them search six year olds and white haired women. It is a wierd airport since there are several terminals and each gate area is a separate search and not a central search area because of the set up of the airport. Before people think I knock TSA, the TSA folks are nice but they have to search more than just profiles and backpackers have wierd stuff such as poles and peanuts. They will ususally chat you up about your gear. I always get a kick out of it as long as they catch the bad folks, I don't care if they open and check my toothpaste. Just get there a little early,have a sense of humor and patience, you will be fine.

Jonnycat
04-28-2010, 09:57
Don't strap your pack to the outside of the airplane.

flemdawg1
04-28-2010, 10:05
I'm flying for the first time in 2 years, what's new as far as regulations and checking a pack the entire way from Kansas City to Bangor. I know not to pack camping fuel.

What's the best way to secure all your stuff so nothing gets lost or broken?

Any no-no's that'll slow down the process or get me in trouble?

Since you are checking it, just put it in a cheap duffel bag.

TheKO
04-28-2010, 10:13
I bought a cheap duffle bag at Wally mart - and put the pack in it. Locked it with a cheapo lock. I had no problems.

bulldog49
04-28-2010, 11:11
I bought a cheap duffle bag at Wally mart - and put the pack in it. Locked it with a cheapo lock. I had no problems.

When practicable I prefer to ship mine ahead via UPS. Bit more expensive but I escape any potential hassle at the airport and know ahead of time that is at my destination.

white_russian
04-28-2010, 11:30
Check your thrift store for old luggage. My local thrift store sells them for $5-10 and it is a bit more sturdy than a duffel bag

singing wind
04-28-2010, 20:28
There have been some previous threads about this subject - lots of good tips about packing for carry on and checked baggage.

At check-in ask I usually ask for a plastic bag for the pack. If they don't have one, I tighten down the pack's shoulder straps and the side compression straps, and tuck away as many of the other straps as possible. Then click together the sternum strap (if it has one), and the waistbelt. On my current pack I can click the waistbelt up around the sternum strap thus lessening the chance of the waistbelt getting caught on something. So far so good.

Good luck!

Marta
04-30-2010, 06:41

These days you aren't allowed to lock your luggage.

Reid
04-30-2010, 07:27
Check your thrift store for old luggage. My local thrift store sells them for $5-10 and it is a bit more sturdy than a duffel bag

Hey not a bad idea, I may do that today myself.