PDA

View Full Version : Best SOBO Guide book?

Mr.Keel
04-27-2010, 21:49
What is the best sobo guide book? Specifically looking for data such as mileage, distance to shelters, water sources, towns, drop points, hostels, elevation profiles, maps and other necessary information and such.

Awol2003
04-27-2010, 22:13
The A.T. Guide is the only one that provides all the info you requested formatted specifically for southbounders. www.theATguide.com (http://www.theATguide.com)

This, like most guidebooks, is updated annually. If you plan to hike in 2011, you might consider buying at the end of the year when 2011 books start selling.

white_russian
04-27-2010, 22:16
They are all equally inaccurate. AT Guide has the SOBO specific edition, but using a NOBO edition you get used to reading from the back cover pretty quick. They are all about the same in the end.

toothpick
04-27-2010, 22:28
Found that the book Appalachian Pages southbound edition to be a very valuable asset on my section hike last spring. Has milages to shelters, elevations, water sources, miles to towns and the services they offer. Was very helpful!

Awol2003
04-27-2010, 22:54
Glad you liked App Pages, Toothpick, but it is no longer published.

wcgornto
04-27-2010, 23:32
Glad you liked App Pages, Toothpick, but it is no longer published.

Too bad. I used the SOBO version last year also. Liked it very much.

Awol2003
04-28-2010, 08:23
Too bad. I used the SOBO version last year also. Liked it very much.

Sorry, I should've clarified. Nothing was lost when App Pages was discontinued. The A.T. Guide has everything that App Pages had, and more. The profiles have greater detail, there's twenty more maps, there's a new feature that helps with trail names in the Whites, and there were over a hundred changes/additions to the services listed.

Donnie
04-28-2010, 08:41
I can vouch for Awol in that the AT guide does take the Appalachian Pages and makes it just a tad better. I especially like the switch to the landscape format for use of elevation profiles -- the most frequestly used feature, in my opinion.

On a side note, I just started reading your book Awol and can say it is one of my top two AT books so far. Being a milage junky, my only complaint is not constantly being reminded of what day it is on your hike (ie. July 19th) so I can mentually approximate everage miles per day. With that being said, I think the lack of dates makes for a smoother, more continuous read. Thanks.

-Donnie

bulldog49
04-28-2010, 09:27
Found that the book Appalachian Pages southbound edition to be a very valuable asset on my section hike last spring. Has milages to shelters, elevations, water sources, miles to towns and the services they offer. Was very helpful!

That's the guide I use. I really like the format.