PDA

View Full Version : How rocky is it in PA...How bad for shoes?

stephen
04-27-2010, 23:53
I am hiking in Pennsylvania later this week and next week. I have a heavier, sturdy pair of hiking boots or a lighter pair of trail runners. How bad are the rocks? I rather use the trail runners but don't want to be sorry. Thanks.

stranger
04-27-2010, 23:57
Port Clinton to the Delaware Water Gap is the section with the most rocks, about 70 miles. Personally, I would wear trail runners if you are experienced with them and are not carrying more than 25-30lbs, but if you lack experience in trail runners, and pinch your foot between two V shaped PA rocks, you are going to know what pain is all about : )

Southern PA is beautiful, with few rocks, mid PA is somewhat rocky, but it's still fairly typical, but from Port Clinton to DWG (and most of NJ and parts of NY) are very rocky.

10-K
04-28-2010, 05:13
The 230 or so miles of the AT in PA ate up a pair of my Inov-8 Roclite 390's. The soles were shredded in places. I usually get 500 miles out of a pair.

Toolshed
04-28-2010, 06:20
I've done PA 2x once with FGL Mountaineerng boot and once with NB 80x running shoes.
I am faster and have more confidence on the ricks with my boots. I trust the vibram soles explicitly and the thickness of the soles allows me to easily walk (or quickly rockhop) across the tops of the sharpest rocks.
My feet and ankles aren't bruised, sore or painful or strained in any way. If I place my foot down between 2 tight rocks and feel the leather and hardware scraping hard against the rocks, well better the boot get the abrasion than my skin.

With my Trail Runners, I fly and dance over the trail...Until I get to the first set of rocks. I Cannot simply walk across the sharp tops since they bite into the bottom of my sole, I feel awkward - as though I've worn slippers to a construction site. yes my feet are light and nimble, however, I must move quickly as it is painful standing on some rocks. My Trail shoes don't allow any ankle support when walking at steeper angles especially on the sides. I am more cautious about just stepping forward and using momentum as I cross the tops of sharp rocks because stepping on the sharp ones causes me to pause and bend my knee a little to avoid my foot bottoms from taking all the pain coming up trough the sole.

If you are an experience TH and have feet worn in from the trail and can take the bruising, toe stubs and sore ankles, go with runners. If you are a weekend warrior or not familiar with the rocks, go with the boots.
If you have a mail stop (If you are doing the whole state) you could mail the shoes to you for the southern end of PA or mail the boots for the northern end of PA.
If I were doing PA in sections again, I'd wear my boots from Rte 441 Swatara Gap, LickDale/Green Point Area North to NJ and Trail shoes from there South to MD

Marta
04-28-2010, 07:02
A trick suggested to me by the hiker who owns a gear store in PA was to put two pairs of insoles in my trail runners. I layered in the factory insoles and a pair of Superfeet.

I didn't have any problem with foot bruising, however there can be other problems if you don't watch your step:
http://www.trailjournals.com/photos.cfm?id=192893

Jeff
04-28-2010, 07:19
Made it thru with trailrunners. My poles really helped in PA.

PA gets a bad rap about rocks. NH and ME have just as many...maybe more.

Don H
04-28-2010, 08:10
Don't worry, they picked up all the rocks in PA and piled the up at the Pinnacle!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/5/2/6/000_0413_original.jpg

DavidNH
04-28-2010, 08:13
There is a saying that goes.. Pennsylvania is where old boots go to die!

DavidNH

That said the rocks are mostly in the eastern half of state.

d.o.c
04-28-2010, 08:59
all the states are rocky i thnk VA on ward is just rocky mess fun and PA is only as bad as u want it to be i wore my montrail runners from the strt to DWG...where they no longer had any ruber on the bottoms..but i PRobly should hve got new ones befor PA

Blue Jay
04-28-2010, 09:00
PA gets a bad rap about rocks. NH and ME have just as many...maybe more.

I agree 100%. The rocks start in central VA, not PA, and they do not stop. You just get used to walking on them as a NOBO. SOBOs always wonder what the hell everyone is talking about.:welcome

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-28-2010, 10:14
I am hiking in Pennsylvania later this week and next week. I have a heavier, sturdy pair of hiking boots or a lighter pair of trail runners. How bad are the rocks? I rather use the trail runners but don't want to be sorry. Thanks.

Rocks are bad in other places along the trail but PA's rock gardens seem to be the worst for the smaller ankle twister type. Been across the state several times wearing boots and low top trail shoes. I personally feel that the low top trail shoes worked best esp. in late spring, summer, and fall. Boots seem to be old school anymore although they still do have their place for me, mostly winter snow hiking. I believe long distance hikers have found out that boots may be the root of some major hiker evil. They are heavier and hotter and don’t vent as well as low top trail shoes for one, which tires your feet and legs quicker. They can be a lot rougher on ankles from all that twisting and turning which generates more heat. More heat means sweaty feet and wet feet generate friction in footwear no matter what kind boot or shoe, and friction = blisters.., 'ouch'.:eek: With the new breed of low top trail shoes it seems an obvious choice, but again its personal. Most thru-hikers I’ve met and seen walking through PA, try for whatever reason, to walk across the state in worn out boots or shoes and their feet and they suffered for it, especially so when the rocks are wet and slippery. If your heavy wear boots, for bottom of foot and a little ankle support, but if your lite then I would wear a good brand (montrail) of trail runners, they're lite, cool and roll with the rocks. Have fun and don't forget to look up every now and then:)

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-28-2010, 10:36
Don't worry, they picked up all the rocks in PA and piled the up at the Pinnacle!

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/8/5/2/6/000_0413_original.jpg

I remember when that pile started as 8 rocks left by BMECC trail maintainers after a trail clean up. Little did they realize what a mistake that was as the pile grew higher each day with contributions left by visitors to the overlook. Would have been fine if they just picked up loose rocks from the trail but they started to dig them from the ground denuding the overlook area of any plant life. After realizing what was happening I tried on several occasions to clear them away and return them back to the trail and woods but as you can see from this picture to no avail. Please no more cairns’ in PA.

ki0eh
04-28-2010, 20:34
I tried on several occasions to clear them away and return them back to the trail

Now that's a proud PA trail maintainer!!! :D

(Sorry, couldn't resist...)

Toolshed
04-29-2010, 00:20
You know you are in PA when you see 2 rocks for every dirt

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 10:41
I have done PA with both types and the rocks suck either way...enjoy.

Dogwood
04-29-2010, 13:49
As some others have also mentioned, I've had enough about hearing hikers betch about the PA rocks. The rocky hiking doesn't begin on the AT in PA and it doesn't somehow magically stop when you get out of PA. Do be prepared for the round rolly polly twist an ankle stetches and the angular sharp bruise your sole type rocks in PA.

If you're a weekend warrior type hiker who may not have suffeciently strengthened your ankles and feet you might want to look at a shoe with a thicker sole and more ankle support if you plan on hiking to a checkered flag. Depending on the fit I'm trying to acheive with my hiking shoes and the trail conditions I sometimes do what Marta mentioned - either use two insoles or one thicker one like Sole brand to avoid bruising the bottom of my feet on trail that has lots of especially sharp angular rock.

Personally, on my AT thru-hike by the time I got to PA I practically ran through the state with trail runners by either running across the top of firm round rocky trail and switching off ocassionally when the rocks rolled or were really sharp by placing my feet between the rocks. Takes some practice though!

BTW, getting adequate ankle and sole protection in a hiking shoe DOES NOT mean your only option is a Heavy thick leather European Mountaineering styled shoe.

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 14:45
Hey DOGWOOD, lighten up . My last word was "Enjoy" I wish I could go hike right now, even PA.
Now if you want to talk mosquitos......NJ has nothing on Florida.

emerald
04-29-2010, 15:00
No, you can't post something like that and not get called on it. Enjoy as posted were it not meant to be sarcastic could easily be taken to be sarcastic and is more likely than not to be thought to be sarcastic.

Pickleodeon
04-30-2010, 17:54
They're not that terrible in comparison. I agree that the rocks just keep on going north.

I've done the rocks in boots and trail runners. Stick with whatever you feel more comfortable in, dont change to something you're not used to just because of the rocks. Take your time, and I recommend poles. You'll be fine.

Hoop Time
05-01-2010, 19:38
I had been hiking in boots, but went with trail runners today for the first time on a day hike with my daughter from atop Peters Mountain sobo to the Doyle. I think the trail runners were better. Especially made me feel "nimbler" in the rock hopping stretces. But I would like to find something in a high top because my ankles could use the support.

Wise Old Owl
05-01-2010, 21:15
Thanks Bag o Tricks I wondered why the pile had doubled since my last visit...

As for the original question I have done Pa in boots and runners, it hurts the feet reguardless, make sure you have thick socks.

www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36262&c=member&orderby (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=36262&c=member&orderby)