PDA

View Full Version : Backpacking suggestion?

Peanut
04-28-2010, 07:06
Hey everyone! I'm backpacking this weekend, but don't have a plan for where yet. Any ideas?

I live in Baltimore, MD.
I can't leave 'til after work on Fri., so I don't want to drive too far.
It's me and one other person and we'd rather not shuttle.
Maybe a loop in SNP?

Approx. mileage: 3-6 on Fri, 13ish on Sat. and whatever (5-13) on Sunday

Any thoughts?

Hikes with a stick
04-28-2010, 07:08
Check out the mid alantic hikes website. Don't remember the exact web address, but google it.

Mrs Baggins
04-28-2010, 07:17
http://midatlantichikes.com/

We use this a lot for day hikes.

There's a good loop in SNP that may be doable for you with your time frame. It begins and ends at Elk Wallow wayside - AT to Jeremy's Run to AT. We started it around 11:30 am on a Friday, made it to the shelter (Pass Mountain) by early afternoon, down to Jeremy's Run the next day (backcountry camping next to the stream), and then back to the AT and Elk Wallow. Lots of stream crossings on that route but none real deep. Only problem we had was with the ranger when we got our permit. He first tried to say the shelter was only for people out for more than 3 days and then told us that it's often used by people who park on the road and walk in for parties. Apparently they're willing to crack down on legitimate hikers but not the partiers? We used it anyway and there were no party people there.

twosticks
04-28-2010, 12:40
Hey everyone! I'm backpacking this weekend, but don't have a plan for where yet. Any ideas?

I live in Baltimore, MD.
I can't leave 'til after work on Fri., so I don't want to drive too far.
It's me and one other person and we'd rather not shuttle.
Maybe a loop in SNP?

Approx. mileage: 3-6 on Fri, 13ish on Sat. and whatever (5-13) on Sunday

Any thoughts?

Bring both cars and do half (or more ) of the AT in Maryland. Take 70 straight out and park one car where the AT goes over 70. Drive down to Harper's Ferry and park the other car there and go north. It's a nice section. You can park your first car further up the trail if you feel more adventurous.

It's only about an hour away.

Peanut
04-28-2010, 19:56
Thanks guys...I've been on midatlantic but didn't find anything that didn't involve a shuttle and the ones that are a good length for me are too far away for our timing on Friday. The MD AT is my backup plan, but we've both done it multiple times and am looking for something different. But thank you for the suggestions. I appreciate it.

I was looking at that Jeremy's Run loop today, or maybe another loop in that area? Maybe something where I can park and not have to pay to get in the park?

jdb
04-28-2010, 21:19
Check out the Catoctin Trail.

www.nps.gov/cato (http://www.nps.gov/cato)

Peanut
04-28-2010, 21:22
hmmm...thanks, will do. I was not aware that one could backpack there. I'll check it out.

Peanut
04-28-2010, 22:07
so I looked into Catoctin Trail...I like it, but there's no backcountry camping allowed and I can't find any maps online. They say I can camp at Catoctin or Cunningham Falls...do you know if that's about halfway? hmmm :)

Peanut
05-09-2010, 12:40
update: We did the Catoctin Trail end-to-end with a shuttle....16ish miles the first day and 12ish the second, including a great side trip to Cunningham Falls. It was a gorgeous weekend and a ton of fun!! Thanks!

Mrs Baggins
05-09-2010, 12:44
update: We did the Catoctin Trail end-to-end with a shuttle....16ish miles the first day and 12ish the second, including a great side trip to Cunningham Falls. It was a gorgeous weekend and a ton of fun!! Thanks!

So where did you camp? Park? Water sources? (other than the Falls?).

Peanut
05-09-2010, 12:51
Hi Baggins!!

We used the AT map for that area, which has the Catoctin Trail in blue...The water sources were running according to the stream crossings that the map shows...We had plenty.

We stayed at the Manor Area Campground which is $25/night. It's a car camping place, that could fit a lot of backpacking tents on a pad, so if you have a group, the cost could be split. We did see a few places where people may have camped, but the park says there is no backcountry camping allowed. Oh, and there are 2 other paid campsites on the northern half--one called Houk and the other I can't remember off the top of my head.

We parked one car at the south trailhead in Gambrill State Park, and the other car was in a parking lot off of Mt. Zion Rd. (a few miles from the AT crossing of Raven Rock Road). It's about a 30-45 minute shuttle.

Peanut
05-09-2010, 12:53
I'm sorry, "Mrs. Baggins"

Mrs Baggins
05-09-2010, 13:26
Hi Baggins!!

We used the AT map for that area, which has the Catoctin Trail in blue...The water sources were running according to the stream crossings that the map shows...We had plenty.

We stayed at the Manor Area Campground which is $25/night. It's a car camping place, that could fit a lot of backpacking tents on a pad, so if you have a group, the cost could be split. We did see a few places where people may have camped, but the park says there is no backcountry camping allowed. Oh, and there are 2 other paid campsites on the northern half--one called Houk and the other I can't remember off the top of my head.

We parked one car at the south trailhead in Gambrill State Park, and the other car was in a parking lot off of Mt. Zion Rd. (a few miles from the AT crossing of Raven Rock Road). It's about a 30-45 minute shuttle.

Great! Thanks for the info. Know the areas well so it would all be easy to find from here. Taking the Maryland Trail Dames to Catoctin Mt Park next Saturday for a 5 mile loop with a stop at the Falls. If that loop is closed due to Camp David being in use we'll do a 3 mile loop that the ranger assured me would remain open.

Peanut
05-09-2010, 13:36
sounds good!

Bucherm
05-12-2010, 05:20
If you don't mind driving a little farther out, try the HikingUpward (http://www.hikingupward.com/maps/nova_map.shtml) Northern VA/WVA map for a good listing of day hikes.

Peanut
05-12-2010, 06:35
Thanks! I'll have to check that out! :)

Mrs Baggins
05-12-2010, 07:32
Wow! Great site! Thanks so much for passing it on! We'll be using it lots!