PDA

View Full Version : AT access from Bald Mountain Road in NC

bdpalace
04-28-2010, 08:02
Is the AT is accessible from Bald Mountain Road in NC between the Jerry Cabin Shelter and the Little Laurel Shelter?

Thanks

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2010, 08:43
I never heard Bald Mtn Road then I think its got several names. But really no access from NC except for side trails. But from the Tennessee side, it is very easy to access the trail.

If you are heading to the Allen Gap from TN, right before the trail crossing on TN70. There is Upper Paint Creek Road/Viking Mountain Road on the left. Stay straight on the road. You will pass the Upper Paint Creek community and Hemlock Hollow Cabins/Hostel. It will turn gravel and switchback up Camp Creek Mountain to the open Jones Meadows. Where you can get to the trail by blue blazes. There are supposedly a number of access trails to the AT but I have only found 2.

At the top, one road will cut right to go to the old Firetower/antennas. That road is very rough. I barely got my Cavalier up it. There is a unmarked trail at the firetower to head to the trail.

Going left, and drive toward the noticeable Blackstack Cliffs. You will see an earthen/rock mound you can park at. Drop down to the forest service road in front of it. And walk it till a large turnout and a blue blaze to the trail. You will be south of Blackstack Cliff Trail, Jerry Miller Trail, and the exposed trail section.

The forest service road off of the main one that will take you to the same turnout and is manageable but not too friendly to low clearance vehicles.

Gray Blazer
04-28-2010, 08:53
I was noticing on Mapquest that Viking Mountain Road turned into Bald Mountain Road. Camp Creek Bald has the most amazing views in NC/TN. And you can see many miles of the AT route in both directions.

bdpalace
04-28-2010, 08:59
I never heard Bald Mtn Road then I think its got several names. But really no access from NC except for side trails. But from the Tennessee side, it is very easy to access the trail.

If you are heading to the Allen Gap from TN, right before the trail crossing on TN70. There is Upper Paint Creek Road/Viking Mountain Road on the left. Stay straight on the road. You will pass the Upper Paint Creek community and Hemlock Hollow Cabins/Hostel. It will turn gravel and switchback up Camp Creek Mountain to the open Jones Meadows. Where you can get to the trail by blue blazes. There are supposedly a number of access trails to the AT but I have only found 2.

At the top, one road will cut right to go to the old Firetower/antennas. That road is very rough. I barely got my Cavalier up it. There is a unmarked trail at the firetower to head to the trail.

Going left, and drive toward the noticeable Blackstack Cliffs. You will see an earthen/rock mound you can park at. Drop down to the forest service road in front of it. And walk it till a large turnout and a blue blaze to the trail. You will be south of Blackstack Cliff Trail, Jerry Miller Trail, and the exposed trail section.

The forest service road off of the main one that will take you to the same turnout and is manageable but not too friendly to low clearance vehicles.

Thanks Viking...that's exactly what I need to know!