PDA

View Full Version : Split from Unexperienced Hiker Thread: Is this a good hike for me?

Annelotte
04-20-2010, 19:34
Hello, my name is Annelotte. I'm a dutch student from the Netherlands studying in Philadelphia for the semester. After my study I am planning to hike a part of the AT. I have never hiked before; I have been camping and the likes but never hiking, so I really need all the advice you guys can give me. I do have some specific questions:
- I was thinking about hiking for about one week. The part I'm interested in is basically PA down to West Virginia, since that is relatively close to Philadelphia. Would you know if this is a very difficult section? Or good for starters? Also, how many miles would say I would be able to hike in one week, being an unexperienced hiker?
- How would I get to the trail? I have no car... Are there any trains or busses going near the Trail? Or are there people willing to give me a ride there?
- What should one pack for a week hike? Like how many foodstuff, clothes, etc?
- Any essential equipment I might need but might not think of as an inexperienced hiker?
- Any other advice? The more you could tell me the better!

Thank you all,
Annelotte

WHISTAND
04-27-2010, 18:53
Hello, I am new to this site. I have been hiking all year round (day hikes) up and down the mts in Potter County PA. I am a 50 yo woman and plan on hiking the AT solo. I need to be in the mts. Do you think the above hike would be good for me?

Lilred
04-27-2010, 19:45
The above hike would be good for anybody, go for it!! From another 50yo female hiker that's been hiking solo since 2003.

Cookerhiker
04-27-2010, 20:10
Hello, I am new to this site. I have been hiking all year round (day hikes) up and down the mts in Potter County PA. I am a 50 yo woman and plan on hiking the AT solo. I need to be in the mts. Do you think the above hike would be good for me?

Welcome to WhiteBlaze and to the world of backpacking.:welcome Lots of good hiking in Potter County - I just did the Black Forest Trail last October.

WHISTAND
04-28-2010, 10:46
Thanks for replying. What I didnt mention: I have a bad back, RSD, TOS (Nerve Damage). Last week I had a fall in the parking lot at work, poss fracture elbow. MRI not back. ONce I get over this I am going to hike. HOW DO I KNOW WHERE I CAN PITCH MY TENT, AND MILES BETWEEN EACH SITE? I have been told there are places I cannot camp since I am not a Through Hiker.

Doctari
04-28-2010, 12:02
Thanks for replying. What I didnt mention: I have a bad back, RSD, TOS (Nerve Damage). Last week I had a fall in the parking lot at work, poss fracture elbow. MRI not back. ONce I get over this I am going to hike. HOW DO I KNOW WHERE I CAN PITCH MY TENT, AND MILES BETWEEN EACH SITE? I have been told there are places I cannot camp since I am not a Through Hiker.

???????
There are a few places along the AT with strict camping rules (The Smokies & Shenandoah's for example) but none that I know of regarding "You can only camp here if a thru hiker". There are other discussions on this elsewhere at WB but you should do well.

Sorry about the fall, but don't let that stop you, I did a 3 day hike with a torn Bicep, (torn 12 hrs before hitting the trailhead) nearly couldn't use my left arm. Had a great trip anyway.

For a on line tril guide, with almost more information than you need regarding miles & campsites, go to: http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm
They list miles, water sources, many (not nearly all) campsites, all of the shelters along the way & weather there are camping sites at the shelter, they also list the rules & regulations special for each area.
Granted, it is from last year (09) but it should do you good.

As to your medical issues, HYOH is "Hike Your Own Hike", or hike at a pace that YOU are comfortable with, if it hurts too much, stop & sort out what will make it better.

twosticks
04-28-2010, 12:17

Whistand,
I would contact the PATC, www.patc.net and get some guide books. Those will tell you where you can camp and how far between. As for not being a thru-hiker, neither am I and I camped wherever I wanted. In MD, you are supposed to camp at campsites and not along the trail. It's a relatively easy section of trail, but with health issues, I would take it easy and enjoy yourself. As for being alone, that section can get pretty busy, so you'll never really be "alone". Enjoy the hike. I've done it twice.

twosticks

Cookerhiker
04-28-2010, 12:26
There are only 2 locales on the entire AT where thruhikers merit any special consideration regarding camping that I know of:

1. In the Smokies, thruhikers (those whose hike starts 50 before and ends 50 miles after the Smokies borders) don't need to make reservations at shelters but they still must complete a permit. Non-thruhikers must make shelter reservations. All hikers must stay at shelters i.e. no in-between shelter camping allowed on the AT by any hikers. There are other threads on this subject.

2. In Baxter State Parks, there is a campground reserved for thruhikers called "The Birches."

There are portions of the AT where camping is restricted, regulated, or prohibited. Examples: Shenandoah NP has regulations, most of NJ is in Stokes State Forest where camping is restricted to designated sites, CT also restricts camping to designated areas. I'd suggest joining the Appalachian Trail Conservancy (http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4805859/k.BFA3/Home.htm)and acquiring the Companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm) for the details.

Kerosene
04-28-2010, 15:33
My future wife and I backpacked the 110 miles between Duncannon, PA and Harpers Ferry, WV in June 1979. This was her first (and regrettably only) long-distance backpacking trip, but she did quite well considering her fitness level. We covered the distance in 11 days, including one nero and one 17-mile day, but most of the time we hiked between 10 and 12 miles per day.

There are prettier sections of the AT that you might consider for a week-long hike, but I'm not sure I'd send you down South in the heat and humidity of summer. Another option might be Massachusetts and southern Vermont, which would have more elevation change than southern Pennsylvania but more viewpoints as well.

WHISTAND
04-28-2010, 22:35
Thanks for your input. I am looking for AT trails not too far from Phila. Just for a quick "get-a-way" on the weekends. If I have more time off I like Potter/Tioga County PA Someone Mentioned Duncannon.