PDA

View Full Version : My gear list - what do you think? tips?

The Beekeeper
04-28-2010, 14:58
Here is a gear list for my NOBO thru hike starting May 20. I've never hiked that AT and have little backpacking experience so any tip and suggestions relating to my gear would be greatly appreciated.

Tent - bug agnes fly creek ulw
Sleeping bag - vaude ice peak 150
Sleeping pad - therm-a-rest prolite (small)
water purification - mrs autoflow gravity filter
water storage - platypus 2 liter
dry sack - granite gear uberlight ctf3 drysack
multitool - leatherman blast
stove - minibullet bongo pro
fuel canister - 12 oz soda bottle
headlap - petzl tactikka plau
cook wear - evernew ceramic .9L
spork - snow peak titanium
Spot gps
bugspray - repel lemon eucalyptus
rope - buewater 3mm paracord
knife - buck nobleman ti
compass - suunto MCB amphibian
space blanket
fire starter - light my fire firesteel scout
clotter - z-medica quikclot sport
med tape
tecnu
matches - rei stomproof matches
bear bag - 10L rei lightweight stuff sack
towel - msr ultralight pack towl
soap - campsuds
pack cover - gregory seam sealed rain cover

Total weight comes to about 9lbs dry

garlic08
04-28-2010, 18:05
Am I missing something? I don't see the pack. And you'll need to figure out clothing for the inevitable inclement weather--at least a rain jacket and a long sleeve jersey of some sort, even in May. An extra pair of socks is nice, too.

Otherwise looks like a good list. You'll work out the little personal details as you go. Like do you need a multitool and a knife? I assume someone is asking you to carry the Spot.

Mountain Wildman
04-28-2010, 18:14
Toilet paper, Hand sanitizer, Water bottle.
As Garlic noted, Definitely bring some type of rain protection and insulation, Down Jacket or Fleece, Rain jacket works as wind break for chilly windy summits as well as any possible torrential downpour. Maybe a pair of long underwear and shirt to keep clean and dry for sleeping, and maybe a pair of shorts. Looks pretty good though, Nice and Light!!!

Spokes
04-28-2010, 18:15
Here's the only checklist (http://www.backpacker.com/november_08_pack_man_/articles/12659?page=4) you'll need.

Tinker
04-28-2010, 23:35
I can't see the need for a space blanket (unless you're talking about the pocket sized one). Too much weight, not enough versatility.
Put permethrin on your clothing to minimize the potential of being bitten by ticks (they still can bite if you aren't vigilant on looking for them, but permethrin is another deterrant).
Sunscreen and Body Glide are always in my pack, too.

ChrisFol
04-29-2010, 01:06
If you want to nix some items, then right off the bat:

-Nix the filter. Just use ClO2 tabs. If you need a filter, look at the 2oz Frontier Pro.
-No need for a multi-tool and a buck knife. Nix one.
-Nix the dry-sack and pack cover. Use a Hefty COMPACTOR bag as a pack liner.
-Nix the Space blacket
-Nix the pack towel, just use a bandana.
-Nix the PBL.

If you want to go lighter:
-Switch to a tarp
-Switch to a CCF pad.
-Use a lighter knife-- a razor blade is fine.
-Repackage your bugspray and campsuds.
-Use a smaller and lighter pot. Ceramic is heavy.
-Headlamp is also on the heavy side unless you plan on hiking at night.

Things you have missed:
-Lip balm
-Clothing packed/worn (baselayer, insulation, outwear)
-Sun hat
-Warm hat
-Gloves
-Sunglasses
-Watch
-Trekking poles
-Pack
-Tent stakes
-Windscreen
-Purification tablets.
-Toothbrush/toothpaste
-Sunscreen

Your missing list is endless.

butts0989
04-29-2010, 01:14
i dont know what type of money you're planning on spending but heres my advice.
-switch to a lighter bag, possibly quilt: save 5-7 ounces
-switch to a tarp bivy set up: save 20oz
-switch to Aquamira: save 5 oz

dont know what pack you use but i would expect with your baseweight you'd be using some sort of UL frameless pack (sub 20oz)

Panzer1
04-29-2010, 02:46
maps, guide book

NomadandKatahdin
04-29-2010, 03:10
I always take a small bottle of rubbing alcohol, take the boots and socks off and rub a little on your feet...sometimes burns a little, but I never had foot problems after starting that. Extra socks are a must....

brooklynkayak
04-29-2010, 07:16
I always take a small bottle of rubbing alcohol....

Or bring Everclear or some other drinkable high percentage Vodka. Multi-use.
It isn't poison so can used for many things such as mixed with water and flavor as a nightcap when you can't sleep:-?

The Beekeeper
05-01-2010, 19:15
Thanks for all the advice. as far as packs go, im still looking at them but thinking something in the 65 liter area.

- Clothes and toiletries that I can just get from a grocery store are on a different list so that's why they're not included.
- the SPOT is so my friends and family dont worry
- the knife is gonna be used to clean fish since the knife on the leatherman wont be sufficient so thats why I have both
-I definitely gonna add a spare water bottle, tick deterrent, body glide, maps, and guide book to the list
-the space blanket is 2 oz and very small but im probably gonna scratch that off the list anyways
-the dry sack is .6 oz, the pack cover is 3 oz, the towel is .8 oz, the pad is 11 oz (lighter than a ccf zlite), the headlamp is 2.8 oz and i have heard they come in handy a lot, and the pot and pan are 7.2 oz together which is lighter than a lot of cookware i have looked at

Thanks again for the input and more is more than welcome

ChrisFol
05-01-2010, 20:13
Thanks for all the advice. as far as packs go, im still looking at them but thinking something in the 65 liter area.

- Clothes and toiletries that I can just get from a grocery store are on a different list so that's why they're not included.
- the SPOT is so my friends and family dont worry
- the knife is gonna be used to clean fish since the knife on the leatherman wont be sufficient so thats why I have both
-I definitely gonna add a spare water bottle, tick deterrent, body glide, maps, and guide book to the list
-the space blanket is 2 oz and very small but im probably gonna scratch that off the list anyways
-the dry sack is .6 oz, the pack cover is 3 oz, the towel is .8 oz, the pad is 11 oz (lighter than a ccf zlite), the headlamp is 2.8 oz and i have heard they come in handy a lot, and the pot and pan are 7.2 oz together which is lighter than a lot of cookware i have looked at

Thanks again for the input and more is more than welcome

- I would nix the leatherman then. What do you have on there that you actually us? What items in your gear require a multi-tool?
- Read the guidebook before you go and leave the heavy book at home.
- A short Z-lite weighs 10oz and a short Ridgerest weighs 9oz.
-Nix the dry sack and packcover and just use a pack liner.
- The are certainly ligher headlamps.
- Pot and pan, what kind of cooking or you doing?

The Beekeeper
05-01-2010, 22:56
true I'll probably nix the leatherman. I'm gonna bring the thru-hikers companion though since there's just too much information to remember. You're right about the pad weights I think I was looking at specs for the regular length pads. Any suggestions on lighter headlamps? I figured I'd bring the pan to cook fish in since I plan on catching and eating fish along the way.

ChrisFol
05-01-2010, 23:29
true I'll probably nix the leatherman. I'm gonna bring the thru-hikers companion though since there's just too much information to remember. You're right about the pad weights I think I was looking at specs for the regular length pads. Any suggestions on lighter headlamps? I figured I'd bring the pan to cook fish in since I plan on catching and eating fish along the way.

-Not familer with the book, but you could photocopy important sections, rather than lugging around a while book.

-Headlamp, I use a Black Diamond Ion, weighs 1.1oz on my scale and cost me around $20. I am sure there are other similar 1oz headlamps out there. If you are not hiking at night, then something like this is all you really need.

-Which cookset is it? Just curious, I am fly-fisherman and I am always interested in lighter fry-pans.

The Beekeeper
05-02-2010, 15:42
Here's a link to the cookset - its actually a slightly lighter one by the same company.

http://www.backcountrygear.com/catalog/accessdetail.cfm?PRODUCTS__ProductID=EVR4022&code=GF11

Teflon
05-02-2010, 16:35
On the SPOT - I carried one on my section hike from Springer to Fontana Dam and most times it didn't work. I carried one as a compromise for friends and family as I'm from Canada and as I suspected, my cellphone coverage was spotty - BUT everyone else on the trail had great cellphone coverage - particularly if you have AT&T (Singular sucked) so, for the difference in weight (the SPOT is heavy at over 8 oz), I'd just carry a cell ... I'm skipping over the Smokies (doing them next year with my son) and starting at Davenport GA on May 15 and doing 2 weeks to just past Erwin and even though I hear that section is a dead-zone for cell phones, I still won't carry that SPOT - As Lady MacBeth said - "Out damn spot !!!"

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 00:21
You need ear plugs.

Wild Cat
05-03-2010, 02:38
Starting May 20th huh? Awesome! That's the day I started last year! It can be done! As impossible as it may seem at the beginning.

Anyway, I figured I'd add a few of my cents...

Water Purification: I used a pump filter all the way to NH, then I saw the light when I switched it out for Aquamira. I'll never use anything else. Yes, there were times where it was nice to have a filter as the source wasn't great, but Aquamira is SO much lighter and easier to use that it makes up for a little dirty water every once in a while. Another fear I had was that it would taste bad, but there is absolutely no taste.

Knife: I carried a knife for a long time...I would sometimes try to think of stuff to cut just so I could justify lugging it along with me. Whenever I really needed one, I could just as well ask someone I was hiking with if I could use theirs. I ended up getting rid of it and using that method. If I were to do it again, I would take the smallest knife possible because you'll probably only need it for cutting nylon cord or plastic.

Bug spray/Sun screen: This is just my experience, but I didn't REALLY need bug spray until New Jersey and I never needed sun screen. I can't say what's best for you as everyone has different experiences with that stuff.

Firestarter and matches? I used a bic lighter and it never failed me. Some folks may not be that trusting...I'll admit I wasn't either at first, but after about 1,000 miles you stop caring.

Compass: Ehh, just use the sun.

Spot: Ahh, yes. I had to carry one of those stupid things too. But it made my parents feel at ease, so whatever. I hear that there's a new model out that's smaller.

And about the cell phone coverage...I had the exact opposite experience. In the southern states Verizon is king. I had AT&T and had quite spotty coverage wherever Verizon would have really good coverage. I had better luck up north where the trail is close to more populated areas.