PDA

View Full Version : Where is a "safe" piece of trail?

K2
04-28-2010, 17:36
Hi friends,

Ok, the balance problems don't seem to want to go away, and this thru hike has turned into a section hike. Oh well, life goes on.

I wondering if you can suggest a bit of trail that would allow for a bit of stagger once in a while; I am using hiker poles.

I was thinking Harper's Ferry south as far as Damascus if time and stated health problems allow.

What do you think? K2

Pedaling Fool
04-28-2010, 17:52
That'll work.

johnnybgood
04-28-2010, 18:22
Oops ! t(r)ail it says . I thought we had Gov. Sanford .

Manwich
04-28-2010, 18:25
Oops ! t(r)ail it says . I thought we had Gov. Sanford .

Two drums and a cymbal fall off a cliff. (http://instantrimshot.com)

modiyooch
04-28-2010, 22:00
Unless you specifically want to go to Harper's Ferry, I suggest you hike North in case it doesn't work out.

K2
04-28-2010, 23:49
Thank you for the suggestions, humor and rimshots. ;)

I meant to say north, but I'm thinking Harper's Ferry as an endpoint in order to get on Amtrak to go home; it's not a be all end all. I live in North Carolina, and I'm actually looking to walk north from there. I'm just trying to find a place to start and end and not kill myself in between.

I expect the balance issue to be a temporary thing, and it is being treated, but I am anxious to get started. K2

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 10:43
Sounds better SB than NB. I would also suggest you stop earlier in the day to help ensure if you do take a bad fall that you have a better chance of someone coming by to help if needed.

modiyooch
04-29-2010, 18:03
Sounds better SB than NB. I would also suggest you stop earlier in the day to help ensure if you do take a bad fall that you have a better chance of someone coming by to help if needed.
we're thinking nb because we are 2 hrs from the trail. She can get as far a Roanoke and still have someone willing to drive to pick her up. And if your friends are not willing, call me.

K2
04-30-2010, 18:35
we're thinking nb because we are 2 hrs from the trail. She can get as far a Roanoke and still have someone willing to drive to pick her up. And if your friends are not willing, call me.

Oh, thank you; how sweet:o!

At this point, I am looking at starting toward the end of May; I have doc appointments to keep, and I hope I can get things straightened out.

What I was wondering, could I start in NC (safely)? And where?

Again, thanks for all the responses. K2

modiyooch
04-30-2010, 21:08
Damascus is the closest. I remember it as safe. Lone Wolf could give you better details. My 2, 3 & 5 yr old did the first 8 miles many years ago
Why not attend Trail Days in a couple of weeks and check out the area?

Blissful
05-01-2010, 17:52
Can't go wrong with the terrain in SNP to start. Heaading south from HF, you have the ups and downs of the rollercoaster and big boulders in Devils Racecourse