PDA

View Full Version : Great Section Hike

fw2008
04-28-2010, 19:21
Here's a great, and very convenient section hike in New York:
Since I have never hiked the section from Bear Mountain Bridge to the AT train station, I cannot give accurate descriptions of the tenting areas.
There are several listed in the AT Data Book as "C"; camp sites, but do not have the "S"; shelter designation.
I don't know whether or not there are any shelters in these areas, so I recommend that you carry your own shelter on this hike.
I have detailed the hike as 6 or 7 days, because I feel that is how long it would take me to do the hike. I am a reasonably strong hiker, but have never done a hike this long.
You should use the interactive map at the Appalachian Trail Conservancy's web site: http://www.appalachiantrail.org/site/c.mqLTIYOwGlF/b.4850633/k.9733/Interactive_Map.htm to help you determine how far you can hike each day.
What I have done is studied the AT Data Book 2010 and calculated the distances between shelters, etc (I have actually created an Excel spreadsheet that does this for me to make planning easier)
You can start at either end, but for my own preference, I have detailed the hike NOBO.
So here it is!

Start: Tuxedo train station

Day 1

Take Metro North or the bus to Tuxedo train station.
Take the red blazed Ramapo Dunderberg (RD) trail leading away to the south, follow into the park.
The trail crosses over the Ramapo River on it's own old bridge, but you can just take E. Village road to the north of the train station, follow it down and under the NY Thruway and continue on the trail from there.

If you stick with the RD trail through the mess of trails to the west of Lake Sebago, you will arrive at the junction with the AT on Fingerboard Mountain (after passing through the famed "Times Square").
The distance is approx. 7 miles. The Fingerboard Shelter is just a short hop east on the blue blazed Hurst trail.

I would probably have a good lunch at Fingerboard, then continue north 5.3 miles to William S. Brien Memorial Shelter. Depending on how late and how tired I was, I would either tent there (or use the shelter if you so prefer), or continue another 3.7 miles to West Mountain Shelter.
Don't forget to stop at Beechy Bottom Brook, just after crossing the PIP for water, before ascending West Mountain; there is NO water on West Mountain.

So, the mileage for the day are:
12.3mi to William Brien shelter
16mi to West Mountain shelter.

It's a good distance, but the terrain is easy to moderate.

Day 2

Hike to Bear Mountain Inn, Fort Montgomery; Re-Supply if needed.
8.1mi from Brien or 5.6mi from West Mtn shelter.
You will be ascending the "easy" side of Bear Mountain. For an experienced section hiker, this isn't a "real" mountain, but just a large hill:)

Have a meal there (I think they still serve the Sunday brunch, but have a cafeteria as well).
Or have a meal at Fort Montgomery;
Grocery, Meals, Lodging; 0.7m W (actually, you will be hiking north on US route 9W)
If you didn’t pack enough to reach Stormville, 30 miles north, you will have to re-supply here.
You can buy packable junk food at Bear Mountain Inn, but I personally would take the extra 1.4mi (round trip) into Fort Montgomery to buy real food, and at a much better price.
Head north over the BM Bridge, up to Camp Smith trail; take the side trail to fantastic view from Anthony's Nose.

Note: Climb from Bear Mountain Inn to summit of "The Loaf" is very steep after you get into the woods, after crossing NY route 9D. It climbs from a low of 124' at the Bear Mountain Trailside Zoo, to 700' over less than 1 mile! That's a grind:mad:
I have done this piece. It's tough on a hot day, and with a full pack, go slow, give yourself enough time, then relax for half hour on Anthony's nose. Make sure you have plenty of water. You will be guzzling it down fast as you climb if it's warm out.
There will be water at Hemlock Springs Campsite, 1.0 miles from the trail to Anthony's nose.

Continue to Hemlock Springs Campsite.
Mileage is:
8.6mi from West Mountain shelter
11.1mi from William Brien shelter
(3mi from Bear Mountain Inn)

Day 3:

12.3mi to Dennytown Road campsite, or
17mi (incl 1mi road walk) to Canopus Lake, Fahnestock State Park Camp site
Note: AT Data Book does not indicate shelters at either of the above sites; just “camp” sites.
There may be fees to stay at these sites.

Day 4:

Hortontown Rd. RPH Shelter
10.7mi from Dennytown Rd, or
7mi from Fahnestock SP (easy day)

Day 5:

RE-SUPPLY at Stormville, NY, route 52
Grocery & meals 2m East from trail
Route 52 is 5.1mi from Hortontown Rd RPH shelter.
So, by the time you get back from the grocery, you will have hiked 9.1 miles already (unless you can get a ride to and from the grocery)
Good thing the Morgan Stewart (I keep thinking Martha Stewart) shelter is only 3.9mi from route 52.

Day 6

Morgan Stewart shelter to Telephone Pioneers Shelter
7.8mi. Easy day!
Arrive at the shelter early, take the rest of the day off.
Or:
Push on another 3.1mi to the Metro North AT train station.

Day 7:

If you did not hike all the way to the train station yesterday, you have a very easy day today.
Just 3.1 miles from Telephone Pioneers shelter to the AT train station, or about 5 miles to the Wingdale station (the extra 2 miles is along road, not trail)
If you finish up on a weekend or holiday, you can just get a train back to NYC from the AT station.
If not, hike north on route 22/55 about 2 miles to the Harlem Valley / Wingdale station where train service is available daily and you have more trains to choose from.
Check the current Metro North Harlem line schedules at:
http://www.mta.info/mnr/html/planning/schedules/schedules.htm

Have Fun!

I hope to actually do this hike in the fall of 2010.

FW

Raul Perez
04-28-2010, 20:01
Hi FW,

I actually hiked a part of your section hike over the weekend.

West Mountain from William Brien Shelter is fairly steep. For me it was quite a hike up with a 27lb pack (most of it water for the afternoon and night) and I'm in good physical condition.

William Brien has 4 bunk beds... one with a mattress. But when I was there it was trashed with cans, plastic, and papers. Some douche hikers did a number on it. A lot of flat spots for tents. Water at the bottom of the yellow trail towards Silver Mine Lake about 1/8 mile down.

West Mountain shelter, on a clear sunny day, has a great view but the shelter is prone to leakes in the rain. The roof has taken a beating as some hikers like to climb up on it for a "better" view. I should know as the first time I went there in Nov 2009 there were 2 guys sitting on top of it and they weighed over 200lbs each. Someone tried to patch the roof with some plastic tarp when I was there.

From what I've been told the bear mountain inn has been closed for renovations for quite some time. I've never been in it to verify as I usually get to the parking lot for the inn by 8am. But it doesn't look like its open I could be wrong on that.

I have video of the trail in the hammock forum.... Shake Down Hike

fw2008
04-28-2010, 20:40
Hi FW,

I actually hiked a part of your section hike over the weekend.

West Mountain from William Brien Shelter is fairly steep. For me it was quite a hike up with a 27lb pack (most of it water for the afternoon and night) and I'm in good physical condition.

William Brien has 4 bunk beds... one with a mattress. But when I was there it was trashed with cans, plastic, and papers. Some douche hikers did a number on it. A lot of flat spots for tents. Water at the bottom of the yellow trail towards Silver Mine Lake about 1/8 mile down.

West Mountain shelter, on a clear sunny day, has a great view but the shelter is prone to leakes in the rain. The roof has taken a beating as some hikers like to climb up on it for a "better" view. I should know as the first time I went there in Nov 2009 there were 2 guys sitting on top of it and they weighed over 200lbs each. Someone tried to patch the roof with some plastic tarp when I was there.

From what I've been told the bear mountain inn has been closed for renovations for quite some time. I've never been in it to verify as I usually get to the parking lot for the inn by 8am. But it doesn't look like its open I could be wrong on that.

I have video of the trail in the hammock forum.... Shake Down Hike
Hi Raul;
Thanks for that info. I had forgotten about the partying that goes on at WMS. I never had a bad experience there though.
I never used the shelter itself; tented nearby, and it was mid November. Most of the party trash is gone long before then.

I have been up to the Bear Mountain park, but didn't go close to the inn, so I didn't know it was closed for renov.
In any case, I would rather go to Ft. Montgomery for food.

As for the difficulty; I will edit my OP to reflect what you said.
I climbed up from Bear Mtn inn with 50lbs on my back (my pack is a monster), but it was only for 1 night.

I am probably going to do a day hike tomorrow from the lower parking lot (the boat dock) to at least Hemlock Springs Campsite.

I've never done more than 1 night on the trail, but am hoping to make this hike my first longer one.
I think if I start on a Monday, I should be at the AT train station near Paulding by Saturday, Sunday latest, so I will get the weekend service home.

I've really got to work on getting my pack weight down. Problem is, I own only one tent; a 4 season Mountain Hardwear that weighs 8lbs with the rain fly.
I think my pack weighs another 8lbs empty, and my Sierra bag (0 deg) weighs 2lbs.
I also carry a bear canister that weighs another 2lbs empty.
It's a lot of weight, but right now, I cannot afford any new equipment.
Maybe if I could get a job at one of the outdoor retailers, I would be able to afford that new stuff at a discount :D
But then, I might not get any time to hike:mad:

I'll post my day trip tomorrow night if I do it.

FW

fw2008
04-28-2010, 20:41
Woops; Can't edit post in this board. Sorry about that.