PDA

View Full Version : Trail Days 2010 - Call for Volunteers

Local
04-28-2010, 20:48
Trail Days 2010 - Call for Volunteers

For detailed information on volunteering, go to http://www.traildays.us/volunteers.html

This year we will open the campground to volunteers one week early, on Saturday May 8. (Stealth campers who arrive early will be recruited for work details.)

Campground setup volunteers: Desired number: 10 - 15

Show up between Saturday May 8 and Monday May 10. Please pre-register for this by contacting Richard Smith: [email protected].

We will block off the area for the manufacturer's representatives, clear campsite areas near the creek, clear trails to new camping areas, clear areas for group camping, gather wood for the bonfires, make sure the rest rooms and showers are ready, and do other jobs as needed to get the campground ready for up to two thousand campers.

We need two or three of you to take charge of a small volunteer work crew for an assigned area. The campground this year is spread out along several hundred yards of Beaverdam Creek, so we need people who can work independently. Bring long-sleeve shirts, trousers, work gloves, and sturdy boots or work shoes. This is strenuous, sometimes messy work.

Mala's Magic, Madness, and Mayhem will be there to feed to feed the volunteers Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. Walkingstick will be back on Thursday to help feed the volunteers.

Vendor setup volunteers

Desired number - 4

Be at the Town Park on Thursday 13th to help measure and block off spaces for all of the vendors, including crafts, food, and manufacturers.

We will designate a time and place of meeting later.Volunteers in this area should be available all day Thursday, and early Friday morning.

Volunteer Host/House Manager

Desired number - 4

Study the schedule of programs at Rock School Auditorium and at the Laurel Building May 12 through Sunday, May 16 to help you choose where you would like to spend your time. When you volunteer by email, please specify that you would like to be a house manager for programs.

To volunteer contact Richard Smith via e-mail, [email protected]. Check this site for more information: http://www.traildays.us/volunteers.html

Thanks for your help.

Local
05-02-2010, 19:42
We would appreciate some suggestions, folks. We have a lot of work to do at the campground and other places. So far the volunteer count from Whiteblaze is one, from Trail Talk also one. Do you think it would be best just to wait to see who comes into town early and try to recruit volunteers that way? We open the campground in six days, on May 8.

Local
05-02-2010, 19:44
Whups. We open the campground for VOLUNTEERS this next Saturday, May 8. It's Thursday May 13 for everyone else.

Lone Wolf
05-02-2010, 20:22
go to the county jail for volunteers

Jack Tarlin
05-02-2010, 20:23
Local: Don't know when I'm arriving but will be happy to help you with stuff when I do.

Local
05-02-2010, 22:14
Thanks, Jack. Much appreciated by the townsfolk.

Wolf, good idea about the inmates, and I'll let you know when the next TD committee meeting is, which will probably be this week, so you help figure out the logistics. The inmates might work out but a church is sending a group of teenagers so we need to look at how that mix could work.

Lobsterbush
05-02-2010, 23:04
I would like to help this Saturday and possibly Sunday but I will not know if I have to work until Friday. If I just show up could I help without pre-registering? I would hate to register and then not be able to make it.

Local
05-03-2010, 08:09
Lobsterbush, I sent contact information to your WB e-mail.

Local
05-03-2010, 22:04
Turns out that the best place to recruit volunteers is in front of Mojoe's (http://www.mojoestrailsidecoffee.com/) in Damascus. There are a lot of hikers already in town, and it seems several are hanging out here until Trail Days. We almost have the numbers we need now. If I sent you info, please get back with me, because unless your name is on the list you will have to provide your own meals.

mtnkngxt
05-07-2010, 17:35
If there are any spots still open please send me a PM. I'm 45 minutes away with no plans from now until Trail Days.

Local
05-07-2010, 20:01
Yeah, probably plenty of volunteer openings based on some interesting behavior in town by a few of the signed-up volunteers. I'll try the PM thing but am not really sure what that is.

Lobsterbush
05-07-2010, 22:32
mtnkngxt (http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/member.php?u=14603) . I thought you were sectioning in from Wise shelter to trail days

mtnkngxt
05-08-2010, 14:27
Was planning on it, but I'd heard there was something going on in town, and they may still need volunteers.

With the weather looking like rain most of the week, I'd rather be in town helping out than slogging through that crap on the trail.

Local I sent an email to Richard Smith. Thanks for the heads up, and sorry for being late in the game.

Jack Tarlin
05-08-2010, 17:24
We had a great crew today and got a good deal done. Will be meeting at the campground again tomorrow (Sunday) to clear some more brush, etc. There is certainly room for anyone who wants to join us.

Lone Wolf
05-09-2010, 14:28
We had a great crew today and got a good deal done. Will be meeting at the campground again tomorrow (Sunday) to clear some more brush, etc. There is certainly room for anyone who wants to join us.

i just came from there. i'm impressed. looks good

trailangelmary
05-09-2010, 14:33
Thank you to all the helpers working on making the camping area better for all of us. My countdown has begun. I am pumped. See you all middle of the week.

Jack Tarlin
05-09-2010, 16:10
Had another great crew out this afternoon, Mary. Cleared out a whole bunch of good campsites, including several that'll work well for you and your field kitchen. See you soon.

freefall
05-09-2010, 16:47
Thanks Local, Jack and all of the other volunteers for helping make the experience great for everyone!

I do have a question that may be slightly off topic but since ya'll were out there gettin' it done, you would know best. Should I bring my hammock or my tent? Just wondering if, with this being a "new" camping area if finding a hanging site might be difficult especially arriving sometime Friday?

Jack Tarlin
05-09-2010, 17:00
Most of the new camping area is in the woods so a hammock will do fine. Bring whatever you like, and if it's wet and muddy, a hammock might actually not be a bad idea. In any case, no shortage of good places to stay.

freefall
05-10-2010, 02:40
Thanks Jack, I'll see everyone Friday as long as I make it from Bristol!

trailangelmary
05-10-2010, 09:37
Had another great crew out this afternoon, Mary. Cleared out a whole bunch of good campsites, including several that'll work well for you and your field kitchen. See you soon.

Thanks, Jack.

D'Artagnan
05-10-2010, 12:58
i just came from there. i'm impressed. looks good

Hey, I think someone's hacked LW's account... :D:D;);)

TOW
05-10-2010, 15:00
Salutes to Local and Alan and all the volunteers, awesome job!