PDA

View Full Version : hammock tent?

skyler
04-28-2010, 21:03
i was talking to a guy at ems about a sleeping pad, and he made another sugestion that i get a hammock tent instead because there dryer. Input? i just bought a new nemo gogo le and i think its fine, but, im planning a through hike, what type of shelter do you suggest?

Mountain Wildman
04-28-2010, 21:10
I imagine he meant a Hammock like a Warbonnet Blackbird or a Hennesy Hammock.
It's a personal preference. Some swear by Hammocks, others, Tents.
I use a tent because I can keep my pack inside with me away from critters and the elements. Hammocks are supposedly more comfortable.
To each his own.

gunner76
04-28-2010, 21:27
Check out http://www.hammockforums.net/ . This is where all the hammock hangers "hangout". Lots of great info. Look for any videos by Shug.

Tinker
04-28-2010, 22:32
Here's a hammock tent: http://www.whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=38474&catid=member&imageuser=2502
It's just a big rainfly over a hammock.
It'll be heavier than a tent, but, if you buy a light hammock and a light sleeping bag you might be carrying less (or the same) weight that you would be carrying with a tent, sleeping bag, pad, and, if desired, a ground cloth.
With a hammock you never have to crawl in the mud (and it never sticks to your floor because you don't have one).
Something to consider.

Tinker
04-28-2010, 22:35
I contradicted myself in the above post. Oh, well, probably won't be the last time.
For the same protection in all weather, a hammock with a big fly will probably weigh about the same as a solo tent with included poles.
Comfort and convienience go to the hammock, in my book. Site selection (as long as there are trees) is usually much easier, as well as the above mud comment.

kayak karl
04-28-2010, 22:36
was your thread title to mean Hammock or Tent
or Hammock tent as in Hammock Hut

skyler
04-29-2010, 17:24
i have this

http://www.rei.com/product/799590?preferredSku=7995900029&cm_mmc=cse_froogle-_-datafeed-_-product-_-7995900029&mr:trackingCode=C0B0A1E3-F810-DF11-BAE3-0019B9C043EB&mr:referralID=NA

could i sew a mosquito net onto it?

beakerman
04-29-2010, 18:10
believe it or not Walmart sells one like that but it has a 300 pound rating and is about half the price...ok it does not have the beaners but if you need them I'm sure you can find them for less than $20 total.

I have one of the wally world ones and I put a skeeter net on it

skyler
04-29-2010, 19:29
no, i meen i have one, but should i sew a net onto the hammock its self? or buy a new hammock with one on there? cost is an issue but how should i go about transforming my existing hammock?

Tinker
04-30-2010, 00:04
Your hammock is fine. Buy a Warbonnet bug net and use whatever tarp you like (or can afford).

Atreus
06-15-2010, 11:29
It'll be heavier than a tent.

I switched to a Blackbird for many reasons, but one was that it weighed less than a tent. Less fabric, less weight. Plus it backs smaller than my Erueka Zues tent. No poles. Sil nylon tarp is super lightweight.

mak52580
06-15-2010, 12:14
I switched to a Blackbird for many reasons, but one was that it weighed less than a tent. Less fabric, less weight. Plus it backs smaller than my Erueka Zues tent. No poles. Sil nylon tarp is super lightweight.

Ditto on the Warbonnet Blackbird. They are much lighter and provide all around coverage and the one of the best and flattest lays in the hammock world. Go to www.warbonnetoutdoors.com (http://www.warbonnetoutdoors.com) and see for yourself. They are also much cheaper than a tent too.

1azarus
06-15-2010, 20:16
there is absolutely nothing wrong with your hammock -- in fact, lots of weight-conscious hikers use simple hammocks just like yours. no crime that it didn't cost a lot. many put ridge lines on your type of hammock -- and you can learn about that at hammock forums. the real advantage to your no-bugnet hammock is that you don't always need a bugnet, so you don't have to bring it with you unless you expect bug issues. i find that a head net, which weights way less than a full bug enclosure, (and is way cheaper!) is almost always plenty -- you have a sleeping bag over you, anyway. you might also spray the bottom of your hammock with permithrin, unless you are sleeping on a foam pad which'll discourage bugs from biting through the hammock. enjoy your hammock!