PDA

View Full Version : Shoe Seam Repair?

DAJA
04-28-2010, 22:05
So I got a pair of Montrail Hardrocks to try out, given all the praise for trail runners... I've always been a proper boot guy but figured I'd give trail runners a shot..

Well on their first 20kms on the trail, the stitching on the toe is letting go.. Is there a shoe glue or seam glue that you can use to prevent the pulling from growing?

And no it's not worth the hassle to send back, I just wonder if there is a simple fix to prevent it from pulling further..

Overall, I found them very comfortable.. No ankle issues and I gotta admit my feet felt great every step.. But before I commit, they gotta last longer than 20kms..

Any suggestions?

brooklynkayak
04-29-2010, 07:11
Shoe Goop, Marine Goop, Aquaseal Sealant and many others are hard, clear and durable.
I used to use shoe goop to replace the worn soles of my skateboard shoes and it is pretty tough.

I have been using Marine Goop to repair Thermarest pads lately and many other items, including shoe seams with good results.

You can get Marine Goop at West Marine and many other boating supply web sites.
Info:
http://www.eclecticproducts.com/ag_adhesives.htm

DAJA
04-29-2010, 07:42
Thanks, thats exactly what I was looking for... At this point when I get the stuff, I'm going to coat every seam in the stuff to hopefully make these things last at least a season...

So again, lighter generally means less durable... 20kms and seams are pulling... Perhaps, trailrunners work great on even, wide footbeds like the AT, but don't stand up to use on more aggressive narrow footpaths.. It will be interesting to see how long they last.. If I can get a full season out of them, i'll be pleased.. If I don't it will be back to a proper boot..

brooklynkayak
04-29-2010, 10:07
Don't coat them too much or they may not breath as well.

BAG "o" TRICKS
04-29-2010, 15:59
So I got a pair of Montrail Hardrocks to try out, given all the praise for trail runners... I've always been a proper boot guy but figured I'd give trail runners a shot..

Well on their first 20kms on the trail, the stitching on the toe is letting go.. Is there a shoe glue or seam glue that you can use to prevent the pulling from growing?

And no it's not worth the hassle to send back, I just wonder if there is a simple fix to prevent it from pulling further..

Overall, I found them very comfortable.. No ankle issues and I gotta admit my feet felt great every step.. But before I commit, they gotta last longer than 20kms..

Any suggestions?

Send them back heard they been having problems with them

Cool AT Breeze
04-29-2010, 16:17
Seam Grip is the best fix for your repair.

Mags
04-29-2010, 18:27
THe Hardrocks have gone downhill since Columbia bought them.

NO shoe should do that in less than 20km/12 miles. That's barely a warm up. :)

FWIW, I've never used trailrunners on the AT and only used them off the AT! :D (Including your neighbors to the West in the CDN Rockies and off trail at that)

Being serious, a trail runner is good for ~700 miles +/- depending on the terrain, conditions and weight of pack/person.

DAJA
04-29-2010, 18:45
I bought them on clearance at a small oufitter in NC, so I won't be sending them back. The owner specifically pointed out that I was lucky because they where the last pair he had of the "real" montrails. I asked what he meant, and he explained that Montrail was bought out by Columbia. His comment suggested to me that the quality has declined since the takeover.

Anyway, I suppose I could contact Montrail directly, but too much bother. I've ordered some seam sealer to hold it all together, as the replies above recommend.

I'll patch'em up and continue to see how they hold up over the summer.