PDA

View Full Version : Where to enter/exit around Asheville

Benton
04-28-2010, 23:35
After years of talking about it, my good friend and I have committed to getting out and enjoying the trail. We can only spend a week on the trail so I'm trying to figure out the best way to spend that time.

We'll be in the North Carolina area the first week in June and our wives will be in Asheville to pick us up somewhere along the trail after our 6 or 7 day hike. We've never been on the AT before and at first, heading either north or south through the Smoky's seemed like a good idea but I've read through this forum and frankly, it's a little intimidating trying to figure out the reservation system, where to start, how far we'll get, etc. How do I make reservations at shelters when I don't really know how far we'll get each day?

Asheville is a good central point for both of us but we can be a little flexible. Would you suggest doing a week on another section of the AT either a little farther south or north of Asheville?

Any and all suggestions are welcome since we're new at this and still in the preliminary stages of planning. Thanks.

Tennessee Viking
04-28-2010, 23:54
For a first hike, I would lean toward another section other than the Smokies. The reservation system might not be fun to deal with the first time out. And you would need to know your approximate speed to plan your shelter stays. Outside of the Smokies, you will get to camp more instead of being forced to use shelters.

I would suggest starting either at Standing Bear Farm/I40/Davenport Gap to Sams Gap. This would be easy shots from Asheville. Or Sams Gap to 19E which is probably the most scenic portion of trail in the area.

If you had more planning time, I would also suggest hiking the MST from Clingsmans Dome and try to get as close to Asheville as possible. But you will need to do a lot of research into knowing where to camp around the Parkway section.

bigcranky
04-29-2010, 07:45
Agree with Viking, avoid the Smokies for your first hike. The Trail both north and south of the park is just as nice, with fewer crowds and regulations.

If it were me I would start at Winding Stair Gap on US 64 about 10 miles west of Franklin, NC, and hike northbound to Fontana Dam. This is about 60 miles of tough southern Appalachian mountains. It's beautiful, with some great views, and has some tough climbs with good rewards at the end. This section is easy to get to at both ends, plus there are several places to bail out if needed. Plan to take 6-7 days to hike this section.

You can resupply at Nantahala Outdoor Center at the midpoint of the hike. Send a mail drop with food, since the last time I was there they didn't have a great selection. Plan to stay in the bunkhouse overnight, and get a shower and do some laundry, and eat a couple of meals at River's End Restaurant. (All the info you need is in the Online Companion (http://www.aldha.org/comp_pdf.htm). Download the right PDF and print out the pages you need.) You'll feel like a thru-hiker.

It's a very satisfying feeling to walk into NOC carrying pack, and walk out again. You'll see what I mean when you get there.

Happy trails.

bulldog49
04-29-2010, 08:35
The recommendation of Sam's Gap to I40 is a good one. Leave your car at Standing Bear Hostel and have Curtis shuttle you to Sam's Gap. You can always bailout early if you need to in Hot Springs, about two days hike to I40.

Benton
04-30-2010, 08:52
Thanks for the great suggestions guys. I'll take a closer look at all the routes suggested and I'm sure one will be perfect for our first adventure on the AT. I appreciate it.

Ox97GaMe
04-30-2010, 16:45
I would suggest going North from Davenport Gap/I-40 area. There are a few more easy access exit points between Hot Springs and Sams Gap than there are between Hot Springs and I-40. Not saying you cant get out from those places, but they are a little harder to find on a map.

wakapak
05-01-2010, 15:24
You could easily do a week on either side of Asheville that wouldn't be too hard or far a drive for your wives to get you. How far are you planning on hiking each day? Hot Springs to Erwin is a good hike, don't recall the total mileage off the top of my head, but as Ox said, there are many easy access points in between those two towns you could get off trail at and they aren't that hard to find by car either. Chaco and I live in Asheville, and have been on most access points of the AT around here, so if you have questions, feel free to PM either one of us and we could give you more details!

Benton
05-03-2010, 10:47
It looks like between Hot Springs and Erwin is approximately 68 miles and that's pretty much the pace we were hoping for 6 or 7 days on the trail. We're both in pretty decent shape but haven't done much hiking with a decent pack on our backs so we're simply hoping for a leisurely walk through the woods. But frankly, I'm just not sure what our average mpd will be and hopefully it won't matter too much with fairly easy exit points as you suggested.. we plan to just keep walking until the end of our scheduled trip. Again, thanks for the advice.

Coop
05-03-2010, 11:53
I'm planning on 22 mpd. Better step up your game, BentonBoy.

dmax
05-03-2010, 12:05
Hot Springs to Erwin sounds like a good plan......And if your in Asheville next year with the wives you could work on another section in the area....Maybe on that trip do Roan Mt back to Erwin.......

Coop
05-03-2010, 13:06
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

For clarification, the stretch between Hot Springs and Erwin ... is that considered "The Smokies", and are shelter reservations required? (Or can we camp?)

Also, are there resupply spots or bunkhouses within those seventy miles?

Thanks again.

Jack Tarlin
05-03-2010, 13:25
All good suggestions and the stretch North of Davenport Gap is great, but for this time of year, I'd go from Erwin to 19E or if you have the time, continue on to Dennis Cove and finish your trip at Kincora Hostel. This will bring you up and over the Roan Highlands, a spectacular stretch of trail. Miss Janet can help with shuttling at the Erwin end; Bob peoples can help at the Kincora end; you could also leave a vehicle at his place. This stretch is a bit further from Asheville, but if I were going out in the NC/TN area in late Spring for a week, this is where I'd go.

Tennessee Viking
05-03-2010, 14:38
Thanks for the info. Much appreciated.

For clarification, the stretch between Hot Springs and Erwin ... is that considered "The Smokies", and are shelter reservations required? (Or can we camp?)

Also, are there resupply spots or bunkhouses within those seventy miles?

Thanks again.Coop
No..Smokies is considered the National Park. From Fontana Lake to Davenport Gap. That is the only area in TN/NC that requires reservations. Camping is only allowed for thru-hikers when the shelter is full. Non-thru hikers are required to use the shelters. Just check the backcountry section on the Smokies website for info.

Hot Springs and Erwin can be pretty remote. Your only real chance for lodging is at Hemlock Hollows Cabins and Hostel. Access to it is about a couple miles north of Allen Gap, then follow a gravel road to Upper Paint Creek Road and Hemlock Hollows. After that you will have to hitch into Erwin.

In Erwin, there is lodging right beside the trail at the river.

Just give me a PM. I just over here in Raleigh, and I am originally from East Tenn, if you need more info.

Digger'02
05-04-2010, 15:20
i agree with Jack's suggestion more than anything but I always suggest avoiding Pickup N. Droppov at 19e... just not really ideal. Dennis Cove is the right move.

Sly
05-04-2010, 15:56
Isn't I-40 closed in the section from Davenport Gap to Asheville?

Nope just reopened...

INTERSTATE 40 IN WESTERN NORTH CAROLINA OPEN AS OF APRIL 25, 2010 AT 6 P.M.

http://www.ncdot.org/traffictravel/