PDA

View Full Version : Star Bucks Coffee Shots

Graywolf
04-28-2010, 23:57
has anyone tried these yet?? I see them all the time at Star Bucks but it didn't occur to me until today that these would be great for hiking..Bought a couple to try out..Went home, boiled up some water, poured it into a cup, added the little packet,, adn BAM!!!! That was a punch..

Could really get you fired up in the morning real quick..

Graywolf

Rick500
04-29-2010, 00:36
You mean the Via dehydrated coffee? I've tried those; liked them quite a bit.

T-Dubs
04-29-2010, 09:08
I've tried them, first when they gave away sample packs and then I bought some as a vacation-emergency-caffeine-fix. I thought they were very good but the expense will keep me from using them in any long-term capacity.

TWS

Furlough
04-29-2010, 16:06
has anyone tried these yet?? I see them all the time at Star Bucks but it didn't occur to me until today that these would be great for hiking..Bought a couple to try out..Went home, boiled up some water, poured it into a cup, added the little packet,, adn BAM!!!! That was a punch..

Could really get you fired up in the morning real quick..

Graywolf

VIA - good coffee. Used it a couple of weeks ago in the SNP. You can buy them in bulk from COSTCO.

Graywolf
04-29-2010, 16:53
You mean the Via dehydrated coffee? I've tried those; liked them quite a bit.

These arn't dehydrated, they are highly concentrated liguid..Like an extremely strong expresso shot..Almost like syrup...Add it to the water, vi'ola..

But yes, they can get expensive if used every day..

Graywolf

Dicentra
05-05-2010, 15:51
I think they are pretty good (and I don't like Charbucks coffee). Available at Costco now too!

Nean
05-05-2010, 15:56
There's another company that has those too, forget the name- but they had them at all the huts last year.;) Didn't know you could mix w/ water though, as I injected mine...:eek:

Dicentra
05-05-2010, 16:10
There's another company that has those too, forget the name- but they had them at all the huts last year.;) Didn't know you could mix w/ water though, as I injected mine...:eek:

Java Juice?

Trader Joes freeze dried instant is really good too. I've served it to my hubby and he didn't even know he was drinking instant (yeah, he's my guinnea pig a lot).

pattydivins
05-06-2010, 01:38
What type of container do you use to make hot coffee in? I am thinking my stainless steal "klean kanteen" would work well for this...

daddytwosticks
05-06-2010, 07:29
On my last short section hike, I just dumped my Java Juice packet contents into my SP-600 single wall mug and heated it up over my Esbit stove...not bad at all and about the best (for me) solution to coffee on the trail. :)

John B
05-06-2010, 09:10
These arn't dehydrated, they are highly concentrated liguid..Like an extremely strong expresso shot..Almost like syrup...Add it to the water, vi'ola..

Graywolf

You mean these? http://www.starbucks.com/coffee/starbucks-via-instant-coffee

I buy them all the time for use at home and hiking. They aren't liquid, though -- they're like a superfine grind of coffee. Very tasty. Hard to tell the difference between VIA and fresh-brewed Starbucks coffee. $9 for 12 packets.

Comet Omega
05-06-2010, 19:36
I'm addicted to coffee, don't normally buy a Starbucks, but these are the bomb for the trail!

Tinker
05-06-2010, 22:40

Graywolf

No, you won't get a viola (large violin) by adding water.

Voila (no accent grave on my keyboard) is the word - means "there it is" (literally) or "that's it" (or "all") in our vernacular.

I plan on giving them a try, even though it's expensive. On my last overnighter in Mass, River 1 was surprised that I ate a Mountain House meal (usually I prefer the cheaper Knorr/Lipton dinners, but didn't feel like bringing a pot to dirty it up for one night out).

traildust
05-06-2010, 22:47
Only way I can get Dovetail out there and going everyday. When the coffee runs out, she stops running or in this case walking.

amac
05-07-2010, 05:08
I tried the Via, and yes it was the best instant coffee I ever had, but....it still tasted like instant. The concentrated liquid sounds good. However, because it's a liquid, it'll be heavier than fresh grounds. Plus, there's something about fresh brewed coffee that really makes for a great start to the morning.

bikebum1975
05-07-2010, 21:11
I've tried there powdered instant coffee but never the liquid to be honest I am not really impressed with Starbucks and those little tubes are just a rip off if you ask me a bit to pricey for my taste and as said it's still instant coffee I want real coffee or nothing. When I do go on my thru hike someday I will be taking a real perked coffee pot.

sheepdog
05-08-2010, 00:38
all instant coffee is an abomination

it had to be said

John B
05-08-2010, 07:05
I can't find the liquid Starbucks "Coffee Shots" on their webpage. If anyone can, please post the link because I'd like to try it.

For a long time, the Starbucks in Lexington, KY did not sell VIA. I had to order it over the net.