PDA

View Full Version : canister fuel availability

joflaig
10-21-2004, 16:35
I love the ease of use of canister/butane fuel stoves. The last thing I want to do at the end of day or first thing AM is to deal with a white gas stove. Generally speaking, along the AT how easily available are fuel canisters? Should this be an item I rely soley on mail drops for?

Footslogger
10-21-2004, 16:41
Generally speaking, anywhere there is an outfitter you'll find cannister fuel. Some hiker hostels have begun to sell them as well. The trick is figuring out your consumption rate and then making sure you can make from one source to another before running out of fuel. You'll sometimes end up carrying more than one cannister of fuel at one time, just to be on the safe side.

'Slogger
AT 2003

chris
10-21-2004, 16:54
This shouldn't be a problem. Off the top of my head, you can get fuel at Walasi-Yi, NOC, Hot Springs, Erwin (I think Uncle Johnny has them), and Damascus. I didn't stay in many towns in VA, but don't think Pearisburg has it. Waynesboro certainly does. Harpers Ferry is a yes. I don't think Duncannon or Boiling Springs has them. There is an outfitters in Port Clinton, but I didn't stop in. I'm pretty sure Delaware Water Gap has cannisters. I didn't stop in any town in NJ, but Unionville, NY (accessed from NJ) doesn't. I didn't stop anywhere in NY. Kent is a yes. I don't think Salisbury has anything. Great Barrington doesn't. The little part of Williamstown I stopped in doesn't. The only town I went to in VT was Machester Center, which definitely has cannisters. That is as far north as I've gone.

JoeHiker
10-21-2004, 16:55
For that matter what about Esbit Stoves and fuel? Are those common in most outfitter stores? I only ask because my local REI store (at least one of them) does not carry them, but REI's website does.

BookBurner
10-21-2004, 17:11
I love the Esbit but you will not find its fuel tablets in most outfitters. For a thru-hike, I strongly recommend buying your supply in bulk beforehand and then mailing it to yourself, city by city. For planning purposes, figure one tablet brings approx. 2 cups of cold water to a rolling boil.

As far as mailing Esbits via the USPS, check the mailing regs for yourself and determine whether you think the fuel can be mailed via air delivery or whether it is restricted to ground delivery (with appropriate identification on the outside of the box). I've read the regs and find the entire matter rather grey. I know REI restricts delivery to ground transportation but the lawyer in me thinks there is a very plausible argument to be made in favor of air delivery.

-- BookBurner

www.enlightenedthruhiker.com (http://www.enlightenedthruhiker.com)

Jack Tarlin
10-21-2004, 17:19
Chris is correct that there are many places to get fuel cannisters (And they are in fact available in Williamstown, MA. at the excellent outfitter there, the Mountain Goat). After that, you can find them, among other places, in Hanover, Pinkham Notch, Gorham, Caratunk, and Monson. (They may be available at other places, such as certain hiker hostels or general stores. You might want to call ahead to be sure).

You mentioned putting these in mail drops....check with your postmaster, as I suspect that in most cases, this is prohibited. There may, repeat MAY be circumstances where you can send these in boxes marked specifically for GROUND mail, but check to be sure. Sending flammables illegally in the mail could potentially cause some real problems.

Footslogger is correct about figuring out your needs....the medium-sized cannister should last you a week or so, maybe more if you're only using it for dinner. I also had great success in "stretching" cannisters by shutting off the gas several minutes before I was going to eat, and letting my meals continue to cook in a covered pot. By killing the gas early every day, this probably got me at least one or two extra days use out of every cannister.

To Joe Hiker: Esbit tabs are generally found ONLY at an outfitter's or at some selected smaller shops, Shenandoah Park, etc. If you're going to go with an Esbit stove , you might want to get in the habit of always carying some extra fuel tabs.

Kerosene
10-21-2004, 19:24
I swear by my SnowPeak GigaPower titanium canister stove for my 6-9 day section hikes. However, if I ever get the opportunity to thru-hike, I'm pretty sure that I'd switch over to an alcohol stove. First, you don't need to guesstimate how much fuel you have left. Second, you don't have to worry about disposal (you shouldn't toss those used canisters in the nearest garbage can). Third, you don't have to worry about getting to an outfitter for a new supply of fuel. Fourth, with alcohol during thru-hiker season, you at least have to potential to borrow some fuel from a fellow hiker should you run out (you'd probably have to spill your fuel bottle to be that short), paying him/her back later in the hike.

Pencil Pusher
10-21-2004, 23:45
I too have a Snow Peak Gigapower, not titanium though. I didn't think the extra cost was worth the nominal weight savings. Canister stoves are hard to beat for their convenience. No priming and the Gigapower does a pretty good job of staying lit when windy. And if you're using it during the summer, I'd think you could reasonably guesstimate your remaining fuel. Disposing of a canister is pretty easy and safe if you make sure to puncture it (definitely empty) before disposal. If you're concerned about getting canisters, just start off with one of those big honkers from Primus, weighing 21 ounces. They work fine with the Snow Peak and that one should last you close to a month, depending on usage.

TakeABreak
10-22-2004, 07:38
In Cheshire the Bershire outfitters outsideof town also carries these canisters. The safest way to be sure where they are available is to contact the outfitter by eamil or phone.

I found on my hike that each 12 oz (8oz of fuel) canister lasted me 9 -12 days, that was cooking oatmel in the morning and dinner at night.

One way of saving fuel with these canisters, is once you stop for the evening and cook dinner leave the canister attached to your stove till after you cook you morning breakfast. to see what I mean here, attach your stove to the canister then detach it, when you detach it you will here a short hiss, that is fuel being wasted.

Theres no much you can about while your hiking but, this a way to get another meal or two out of each canister.

Mailing a canister through the USPS system is illegal (a felony), according to my postmaster. In places where I needed a canister and knew i would not be able to get one I either carried two, or had one shipped from REI via UPS, these items must shipped by ground transportation.

Footslogger
10-22-2004, 12:01
Mailing a canister through the USPS system is illegal (a felony), according to my postmaster. In places where I needed a canister and knew i would not be able to get one I either carried two, or had one shipped from REI via UPS, these items must shipped by ground transportation.
Unless the USPS had instituted new regs your statement above is incorrect and you were given bad advice by your postmaster.

As long as the carton containing the cannisters is clearly marked as including "ORM - D" materials it can be shipped. The post office has the actual ORM - D stickers or you can write it on the carton with a marker pen.

I mailed several butane cannisters to my wife via USPS during her thru in 2003 ...and that was AFTER consulting with the local post office and reading their regs (which are on-line).

'Slogger
AT 2003

By the way ...I carried an alcohol stove on my thru last year and didn't have to worry about the mail.

tlbj6142
10-22-2004, 12:31
The USPS actually has a small brochure on transporting fuels. They explicity list small propane canisters as illegal. I always thought an ORM-D sticker would be fine, maybe the rules have changed?

TakeABreak
10-22-2004, 12:33
well I will definitely bring this up with them the next time I am at the post office, because that was there exact words. I do appreciate you letting me know, and correcting my statement, I hate to pass on bad Info. :)

slatchley
10-22-2004, 16:08
http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

This does make it look like it is possible unless I am misreading it

342.22 Mailable Gases
The following are examples of mailable gases:
a. Butane. Butane (UN1011) and Receptacles, small (UN2037) with
butane or butane mixtures are Division 2.1 flammable gases. Butane
gases that can qualify as ORM-D materials are acceptable only in
domestic mail via surface transportation when properly prepared under
342.3 and Packaging Instruction 2A in Appendix C.
b. Oxygen, Compressed. Oxygen (UN1072) is a Division 2.2
nonflammable gas and is acceptable in domestic mail only if it can be
reclassified as an ORM-D material. The requirements in 342.3 and
Packaging Instruction 2B in Appendix C must be followed.
c. Propane. Propane is a Division 2.1 flammable gas and is acceptable in
domestic mail via surface transportation only if it can be reclassified as
an ORM-D material. The requirements in 342.3 and Packaging
Instruction 2A in Appendix C must be followed. Propane is nonmailable
in domestic mail via air transportation.

tlbj6142
10-22-2004, 22:07
I'm glad you found that pub. I'll bring it up the next time I'm at the PO.

michael rowlands
02-11-2014, 19:54
I carry a alcohol stove on long hikes 200 miles plus. I like to carry my Svea 123 r too. It is 16 ounces and loves cheep unleaded gas at less than 3 cents an ounce. If you are hiking with another hiker the weight is nearly the same. This little stove is a gas sipper and a pint will last 10 days. I make coffee 2 times a day too. New stuff isn't always better. I own nearly 40 stoves of all types and this Svea can not be beat in my opinion. It is a simple design and was originally made in 1895. My least expensive stove is my favorite. I have done most of the A.T. with this stove. This summer I will re do the northern 400 miles and may just finish it out with the Svea.

Dogwood
02-11-2014, 20:05
Now, this is a surprise. Someone used the Search feature. :D