PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Mid Boots/Shoes

PHeller
04-29-2010, 08:51
Looking for boots/shoes that are mid cut but around the weight of a running shoe or trail runner.

I've spent a fair amount of time shoes to learn that I like the weight reduction, but also live in rocky country.

Something along the lines of the Salomon Wings Sky but without Gore-tex.

Mountain Wildman
04-29-2010, 09:58
I've been looking for the same, I did some research on Vasque last night and they have a few mid light options, Not sure how good of a product it is though, I've read a couple negative reviews on Vasque but I guess that's par for the course.

John B
04-29-2010, 11:20
I really like La Sportiva, but that's mostly because they have lots of shoes cut for a narrow, low-volume foot (very few brands are, the other exception being North Face), and they fit me perfectly (I use the Fireblade). But I road run in Brooks. The Sportiva trail has a little more arch support and a thicker sole. They have lots of models/styles. You might check out their website if you're interested.
www.sportiva.com (http://www.sportiva.com)

One other thing, Sportivas are hard to find in stores (at least in Kentucky), so I order from Zappos. It totally sucks ordering shoes over the net, but not much choice. The upside is that they do free return shipping if the shoes don't fit.

Mountain Wildman
04-29-2010, 11:26
I really like La Sportiva, but that's mostly because they have lots of shoes cut for a narrow, low-volume foot (very few brands are, the other exception being North Face), and they fit me perfectly (I use the Fireblade). But I road run in Brooks. The Sportiva trail has a little more arch support and a thicker sole. They have lots of models/styles. You might check out their website if you're interested.
www.sportiva.com (http://www.sportiva.com)

One other thing, Sportivas are hard to find in stores (at least in Kentucky), so I order from Zappos. It totally sucks ordering shoes over the net, but not much choice. The upside is that they do free return shipping if the shoes don't fit.

Looks interesting, Decent price and under 13 ounces.
I'll have to look into these.
Thanks!!!

JAK
04-29-2010, 12:33
I have an old pair of leather ankle boots that have lasted a long time. They are of a single layer of soft leather and weigh 1 pound each in size 12, so they are 4oz heavier than typical trail runners, but they are a nice change from trail runners. A little more support, but just as comfy, not as good for trail running, but better in cold wet conditions and snow. They can be waterproofed with beeswax for wet late winter conditions, and by the following dry mid-winter conditions the beeswax has worked its way out just about right. They can be dried with fire when wet. They are nice to wear and nice to own and nice to work with. They are old friends in a way a pair of relatively short lived trail runners can't be, though I have made some nice aquaintenances in that respect also.

The brand name is HMO, and I can't remember for sure when or where I got them.

PHeller
04-29-2010, 13:45
La Sportiva doesn't really have a lightweight mid-runner.

The Crossleather and Crossover GTX seem interesting, more geared towards hiking.

Loneoak
04-29-2010, 15:11
Keen also makes some

PHeller
04-30-2010, 10:51
Keen doesn't have many lightweight shoes, and those that they do aren't mid-cut.

Loneoak
04-30-2010, 16:04
Here is a Keen low cut boot (no goretex), they also have it in a regular trail runner.

http://www.dickssportinggoods.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3676411&cp=2367438.2367824.2277089.2368759.2361225

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 16:29
I just ordered a pair of Vasque Blur SL from Sierra Trading Post for $41.96 so I will compare between those and my Asolo Fugitive GTX and see which I like, I live 4 miles from the Rattle River Trail Head on the A.T. so I'll test them there. Website says they weigh 12.6 ounces.

PHeller
04-30-2010, 16:38
I stand corrected about Keen. Those Voyaguers look pretty nice. Only 2lbs? By comparison the Vasque Blur SL is 1.5lbs...so the Keen's are darn light.

I'm gonna look around to confirm that weight on the Keens.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 16:45
I stand corrected about Keen. Those Voyaguers look pretty nice. Only 2lbs? By comparison the Vasque Blur SL is 1.5lbs...so the Keen's are darn light.

I'm gonna look around to confirm that weight on the Keens.

The Vasque website lists the Blur SL at 12.6 ounces, unless it's per shoe, usually the sites indicate if it is per shoe.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 16:48
The Vasque website lists the Blur SL at 12.6 ounces, unless it's per shoe, usually the sites indicate if it is per shoe.

My mistake, I ordered the Vasque Blur and not the Blur SL.

PHeller
04-30-2010, 17:28
I have some military friends who swear by the Lowa Zephyr Desert. It lacks Gore-Tex and is technically a high-cut, but its still fairly lightweight and flexible.

PHeller
04-30-2010, 17:33
Ooo found something really nice:

Salomon XA Pro 3D Mid

Super light and ankle support.

jmorgan
07-09-2010, 15:07
I just picked up the ECCO Loa and really like them. They are made with Yak leather which is a lot stronger than normal cow leather. They also are really light, flexible where you want them to be and the tred on the bottom is a unique design but i find i grip grip rocks a lot better and tree stumps.

moon424
08-26-2010, 04:47
Lightweight Mid Boots/Shoes? Sounds like cute, I'm really excited to give these a try!

Danielsen
08-26-2010, 16:40
I plan on getting a pair of Inov8 X-talon 240s. Mid-cut, good soles, not too cushy, and about 8 oz. Exactly what I'm looking for. Inov8 has a couple other ultralight mid-cuts worth looking at as well, and all are designed to excel at running as well as hiking.