PDA

View Full Version : Gravity Wells

ChinMusic
04-29-2010, 12:02
How common is it for thrus to hit trail towns and find it hard to leave?

10-K
04-29-2010, 12:08
I'm not even a thru hiker and I experience this. :)

Disney
04-29-2010, 12:32
I met a man in Kent, CT who had hiked there from Springer, hooked up with a waitress and never left. He had been there for several years. I didn't believe him at first (yeah sure you were a thru hiker) until we really got into some specifics about the Southern States. He talked about places that had closed, and how much had changed. So he never could escape that one town. But that's an extreme case.

The gravity well is real. It's pretty common.

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 14:51
It is a physical fact, towns suck you into a vortex and it is very diifficult to leave. Especially Duncannon, Franklin, Vernon, even Abol Bridge where I spent a week once because I kept meeting hikers I knew coming thru.

Bare Bear
04-29-2010, 14:54
LOL I just remembered in 2006 a group of the young guns stayed in Hersey for eleven days! We all thought they had gone off the trail until we heard of them heading on thru the grapevine. When one of those 25 mpd kids caught up to me in Maine he was very reluctant to admit they had partied eleven days straight. I figure God Bless em, it is great to be young.

Graywolf
04-29-2010, 18:07
Towns suck, hotels suck, bars suck..You never ever leave the comforts of the trail..NEVER!!!

bigcranky
04-29-2010, 20:58
I have this problem on section hikes. It's just so easy to spend another night in town....