PDA

View Full Version : Minnesota Shuttle? (Duluth to Ely)

skeeterbait
04-29-2010, 18:51
I'm hoping to hike from Ely to Duluth this summer (mid August start) via the Kekekabic/Border Route/Superior Hiking Trail. So far I haven't had much luck tracking down a way to get from Duluth to Ely to start the hike... well, I should say that I did find a shuttle - for $175. I'm not adverse to paying for a ride, but a better deal sure would be nice.
Was wondering if anyone on here had any bright ideas?
Last ditch when the time draws closer I could try a post on the Duluth Craig's List.

Thanks!
skeeter

toegem
04-30-2010, 06:41
The only suggestion I would have, is to try one of the paddling boards such as BWCA Bulletin Board. You probably have better luck finding a ride to share.

Lyle
04-30-2010, 08:55
I hiked from Judge Magney State Park (on the Superior Trail) to Ely via the Border Route and KEK last May. GREAT trip, Great trail. Not as difficult to follow as we had been lead to believe, but I can definitely see that it would be more challenging later in the year with more undergrowth, especially in the areas of the '99 Blow and the more recent fires.

Make sure you have current maps (McKenzie) and a good compass and the knowledge to use them. I would also recommend a GPS. That was very reassuring for peace-of-mind. The Boundary Waters is an amazingly confusing environment with surprisingly similar-looking landmarks to use for navigating. Experienced people do get lost there quite frequently. You will have the advantage that there will be a lot more people around at that time of year, but it is still wilderness in the true sense of the word.

Regarding you shuttle. I would consider $175 to be a fairly reasonable fee. Remember that whoever is providing this service has to travel the distance twice, and there are no real direct routes in Minnesota. :-).

You could try giving the Gunflint Lodge a call, they may know of someone who could help you out. I would call them and speak with them anyway. They are a great place to send a re-supply, get a place to stay for a rest day (ask about the bunkhouse if you want to save some money), and have some great meals. They are very hiker friendly. Nice folks, and only a very short distance off the trail itself.

Good luck and have a blast. Keep us informed on how it goes.

Lyle
04-30-2010, 09:03
One more suggestion.

You may want to contact Matt Davis. He is the Regional Trail Coordinator for the North Country Trail in Minn and ND. He's a great guy and may be able to put you in touch with some local folks who could help you out. Tell him Lyle from NCTA in Michigan suggested you contact him for suggestions. Here is his email:

[email protected]

Again, have fun.

Bonjour
04-30-2010, 21:42
My daughter and I attempted the Kek in August a few years ago. We walked in about 10 miles and decided it wasn't a good plan for us. By the end of the summer there are places where it is very overgrown in some areas. The GPS, map and compass is a very good idea. I wouldn't let our experience dissuade you. I wonder if the Superior Trail office in Two Harbors may have a list of shuttle people. If price is a problem you could stick out a thumb.

Dogwood
05-01-2010, 12:31
Others seem to have given you some good leads but I will tell you that it's been my experience that it's a relatively easy hitch from Diluth into the Thunder Bay area because that route is used by quite a few outdoorsy types and truckers.

skeeterbait
05-02-2010, 06:51
Thanks for all the tips!
I have the guidebooks for all three trails, and I'll be ordering the maps soon. GPS I'll have to think about... but it sounds like a good idea.
The $175 is for a van ride. It's the same price whether it's 1 person or 9... so yes, I'll give the boards and even the outfitter a shot and see if I can connect with another group. The airfare is going to be a lot more than that... but it also means somebody would have to go far out of their way for one person.
If any of you have tips for resupply besides Gunflint Lodge (going to try to send a drop there) and Hovland or Grand Marias I'd love to hear them...

Thanks!
skeeter

Lyle
05-02-2010, 07:57
We left a vehicle, with a resupply, at the parking area on the Arrowhead Trail. This is about the only real road that the trail crosses other than the Gunflint Trail (near the Gunflint Lodge). The Arrowhead Trail is a 30-40+ mile dirt road, generally passable with regular passenger vehicles. It's mostly used by fishermen and auto sight-seers. The Superior Trail crosses it once, then later the Border Route crosses it between Little John lake and McFarland Lake. That is where we left our re-supply. Unfortunately, there are no businesses or even year-round cabins that I am aware of in this area. Pretty much the middle of no-where. You may be able to find a local who could drop a package for you, but I wouldn't really have a suggestion as to where, without a vehicle. Again, the folks at Gunflint Lodge may have a suggestion for you, worth a shot.

skeeterbait
05-04-2010, 12:38
Not looking for a middle-of-nowhere drop (tho it would be nice). I'm expecting to have to make it from Gunflint Lodge to Hovland or Grand Marias on the SHT. So I should have said I was asking about more drops on the SHT... ;-)

McPick
05-04-2010, 19:11
Others seem to have given you some good leads but I will tell you that it's been my experience that it's a relatively easy hitch from Duluth into the Thunder Bay area because that route is used by quite a few outdoorsy types and truckers.

Hope so, Dogwood. I'm leaving soon for the SHT. In addition to this and your earlier comments, others I contacted in the area said that Hwy 61 is an easy hitch for hikers. (Props, buddy... Props!)

Ely is about 62 miles west of Hwy 61 (at Illgen City) on Hwy 1 (NF-7).

If it's paved, I'd consider CR 2 (NF-15) north out of Two Harbors. It's a more direct route from Duluth. About 72 miles. I would think that anybody going north on 2 is going to Ely.

With gear, I'd go for it. But I also realize some people aren't comfortable hitchin'.

Good luck!

buz
05-06-2010, 09:46
Maybe try bwca.com, ask under general discussion in forum section. Somebody may be headed that way around when you want to go.

bulldog49
05-13-2010, 13:59
Thanks for all the tips!
I have the guidebooks for all three trails, and I'll be ordering the maps soon. GPS I'll have to think about... but it sounds like a good idea.
The $175 is for a van ride. It's the same price whether it's 1 person or 9... so yes, I'll give the boards and even the outfitter a shot and see if I can connect with another group. The airfare is going to be a lot more than that... but it also means somebody would have to go far out of their way for one person.
If any of you have tips for resupply besides Gunflint Lodge (going to try to send a drop there) and Hovland or Grand Marias I'd love to hear them...

Thanks!
skeeter

I'd resupply on the SHT at Grand Marais and Silver Bay. Don't believe there is much of anything in Hovland. The trail goes right along the outskirt of Silver Bay. There are stores a short walk from the trail. Finland also has a decent store but it's a little further off the trail, about a 1 mile walk.

I'm heading up there tomorrow for a week long hike from Britton Peak to Castle Danger. Can't wait!