PDA

View Full Version : crazy idea?

philly
04-29-2010, 19:39
is it a crazy idea, to drive down from Boston to VA to hike up to McAfee Knob, spend the night and then drive back? I cant get a whole lot of time of this summer, the most would be a long weekend....crazy idea?

Stir Fry
04-29-2010, 19:50
No not if you injoy yourself. Nothing rong with a weekend hike.

Roland
04-29-2010, 19:55
is it a crazy idea, to drive down from Boston to VA to hike up to McAfee Knob, spend the night and then drive back? I cant get a whole lot of time of this summer, the most would be a long weekend....crazy idea?

Given your lack of time to hike, wouldn't you rather spend it on the trail than on the interstate?

There are lots of trails much closer to home.

philly
04-29-2010, 20:01
Given your lack of time to hike, wouldn't you rather spend it on the trail than on the interstate?

There are lots of trails much closer to home.

true, and thats most likely what i will do

philly
04-29-2010, 20:16
thats a 13 hour drive....yeah crazy idea. LOL i will wait till i have more time!

J5man
04-29-2010, 20:24

It's only crazy if you don't eat at The Homeplace - down the road from the parking lot when you are finished. You can also do Dragon's Tooth on that trip from the same parking lot - or drive down the road the Dragon's Tooth parking lot if your time is really limited.

Lone Wolf
04-29-2010, 20:27

not at all. do it

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2010, 06:48
Only if you drive it without some Books-on-tape materials. I never go on a long road trip without them.

Oh, and as long as you're not a global warming guy, than you might not be crazy, but some could call you a selfish hypocrite:D:sun

1azarus
04-30-2010, 07:33
only if you don't post a ride offered to the rideboard!

Mrs Baggins
04-30-2010, 07:55
Road trip! :)

Gray Blazer
04-30-2010, 07:58
Sounds like something I would do.

Ladytrekker
04-30-2010, 08:02
Absolutely not doesn't spending large amounts of time in the woods with most everything you own on your back talking to trees, bugs and anything else that will listen make us a little different anyway. I say go fot it.

DavidNH
04-30-2010, 08:14

My friend.. you aren't crazy you are nuts.

Why drive Boston to VA (what's that about 15 hours?) to hike some non descript hill when you could drive 5-8 hours and hike in what is probably the most magnificent scenery in the East.

Now McAfee Knob is nice, don't get me wrong. But it is peanuts compared to what we have in New England --and just a few hours from Boston!

David

PS if you truly want to see the mountains of Virginia.. take 4-5 days when you have the time and enjoy yourself. With the plan you are suggesting, you will be totally exhausted (from all the driving) and probably too tired to notice much