PDA

View Full Version : Another sleeping bag question

Freedom Walker
04-29-2010, 22:09
Since last Nov when I decided I would like to thru-hike someday, I have been upgrading my gear to make it better/lighter. I am now ready to purchase a bag. Goal is to keep it under $200, Be a down bag, and be good enough to keep me warm April-Oct. I was thinking about the Campmor bag until I read some reviews on WhiteBlaze. This is what I am looking at now Kelty Light Year 20 Degree Down Sleeping Bag Long (http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___43125). Opinions or other suggestions. I am 6-2, 195 lbs, so I need a long.

Lone Wolf
04-29-2010, 22:12
right here. it's all you need. i've owned one for years http://www.campmor.com/outdoor/gear/Product___40066

flemdawg1
04-29-2010, 23:03
I have the down Light Year 40. My biggest gripe is the zipper is only hip length, which limits how much you can vent it, despite the foot box vent.

flemdawg1
04-29-2010, 23:04
Also the 40 deg is warm enough for April to Oct in the South.

Tinker
04-29-2010, 23:23
A few years ago I read many opinions online about the Kelty down bags. The rumor was that they were underfilled, the down shifted away from the tops to the sides, and, without the proper amount of down on the top they weren't as warm as they were rated.
I have no personal experience with them. I didn't buy one back then because of the reputation they had. It may be different now.
One thing I learned is that if a bag is roomy and appears to be very light for its listed temperature rating, the rating is very likely optimistic. If the shell and liner material is exceptionally light, however, the bag rating may well be right on the money even though the bag is very light.

daddytwosticks
04-30-2010, 08:22
Tinker's dead on. I owned a Kelty Lightyear 25 years ago when I got back into hiking. Down used to shift around like crazy. :)

butts0989
04-30-2010, 10:38
if you can find one an old (pre 2009) Golite Ultra 20. great quilt, cost 200 but would be cheaper now, easily keep you warm from april to october. weighs 1lb 3oz

scope
04-30-2010, 10:49
if you can find one an old (pre 2009) Golite Ultra 20. great quilt, cost 200 but would be cheaper now, easily keep you warm from april to october. weighs 1lb 3oz

Agreed, but you're not likely to find one, not in a long anyway. There are other quilts available, most are over $200, but not by too much, and you might find a sale or used one as you're looking. Go to hammockforums.net and just about all of the hammock makers except Hennessy have a top quilt product. This is where you're likely to find the most bang (i.e. down) for your buck.

That said, in a bag, that campmor looks like a good deal and I have heard good things about it over the years.

Freedom Walker
05-01-2010, 22:26
I found the Kelty light year long for $159. After reading at least a dozen reviews that were positive, I ordered it. The Campmor down was $129. and there were many who was satisfied, but I believed it was worth the extra $30.

Monkeyboy
05-04-2010, 22:58
Everyone keeps spraying me with pepper spray when I'm in my sleeping bag........can't figure out why........

http://www.blogiversity.org/blogs/cstanton/the-perfect-sleeping-bag-bear.jpg

sbhikes
05-05-2010, 08:54
For a goal of under $200 you should buy a used bag and get a good one. You really should not skimp on the sleeping bag. Restorative sleep is important. Put the money in perspective. You probably will easily waste $200 on a weekend stay in some trail town, or at home easily waste $200 driving to your job (is that a huge waste of money or what? They should pay you to drive to their stinkin' job.)

buz
05-06-2010, 10:15
Just comparing the Kelty to the campmor, I see it has 2 ounces more down then the campmor. That is positive, because IMO, owning the long campmor, it is a warm 30 bag, no way a 20 bag, at least for me. I added 4 ounces of down to the campmor, and it is now a real 20 bag, and it has 2 more ounces than the kelty would.

I think it is a good value, but would be skeptical of the true 20 rating, maybe in the 25 range, depending on ur sleep patterns of course.

A little heavy, and I am not a fan of their zipper length, I want a full zip for quilting, but it works.

I would seriously consider a money upgrade if you plan on owning the bag and using it a long time. $250 or so can put you in an 800 fp bag from one of the top makers if you shop around and strike at the right time. Smaller, lighter by a lot, and more re sellable if times change. Likely last bag you would buy.

Also, since you have time, figure out exactly what size bag works for you, by trying on known size bags at a quality outfitter. Makes shopping and comparing waaaaaaaaaaayyyyyyyyyyy easier on the 'net, and likely will bring a good fit bag to ur door the first time around.

Good luck.

buz
05-06-2010, 10:29
Just looked at the campmor site, and saw the MH Piute long is on sale for $220. Same weight as the Kelty, but has 3 ounces more down, rated at 20. To me, reinforces that the Kelty and Campmor are not true 20 bags. Not sure that you need the 20 rating, but being cold at night totally blows. That is a good deal on a higher level bag than the Kelty.