PDA

View Full Version : 2000 Miler List

Clark Fork
10-21-2004, 23:29
Is there a list on-line of all hikers who have completed the AT? I am looking for two that finished in 1982.

I last went to the top of Katahdin in 1982. I returned after a long absence having been to the top 5 times in the sixties when I was at Bates. It was a nostalgic trip. So much had changed. In the sixties, Chimney Pond was a wonderful place to camp with many shelters, paths and yes, there was even a dump. When I returned in 1982, the shelters were mostly gone. The dump had long been closed. The lean-tos had been burned back in 1963, when a search party had been on the scene looking for Ranger Ralph Heath and two hikers he had tried to save. Ralph Heath was an authentic Maine humorist. One night in the sixties I wandered down near the dump only to spy a bear. Alarmed, I ran to tell the Ranger. He laughed and looked at his watch and said, "Yup, he is right on time."

In 1982 the Ranger there then, not quite an eco-nazis but certainly a eco-puritan, had dragged dead trees over what paths were left. It was an effort to bring back the "wild" to Chimney Pond. I thought Chimney Pond looked terrible from the days when I spent many hours there. On the trail journals, I never see it mentioned since the approach is from the other side. My whole orientation is towards climbing up from Chimney Pond.

At the summit that weekend in October of 1982, I met two thru hikers. The other night I was going over some old notes and came across two post cards I received from them. I had given them a ride to Orono. Their names were Ed McCarthy and Scott Hackman. I have often wondered what happened to those fine young men. I was curious if they had registered their trip back in 1982. I would like to see if they are on the list. Is there a list on-line?

One last story about Ralph. When he told a story, it always highlighted a "New Yawker", people from New York, apparently being the bane of his existence. I asked him once if there were any fish in Chimney Pond. He laughed and told me that some weeks before, a "New Yawker" had been fishing in Chimney Pond. Ralph recounted how he had asked the gentleman if he was using worms or flies. The fellow replied he was using flies. Ralph said, "Well, we sure don't want no worms in the drinking water." At nearly the end of the day, the tired "New Yawker," came by the ranger cabin and asked indignantly, "Are there any fish at all in Chimney Pond?" Ralph replied, "Nary a one, it is too cold, don't cha know." Well, the fellow became really angry, remonstrating Ralph, saying "Why didn't you tell me when you came by this morning." Ralph, as only he could say it, said, "Ya didn't ask.." He was great guy and it was a tragic loss when he lost his life in an early snow storm in 1963. I wouldn't imagine there would be anyone around who remembers him now but I will never forget his wit, charm and helpfulness.

Thanks,

Clark Fork in Western Montana

attroll
10-22-2004, 00:57
There is no list that I know of that is why I started one on this site here. If you find one let me know. But in the mean time here is the link to the one I started: http://www.whiteblaze.net/threg/index.php?

Gonzo!
06-10-2005, 13:44
I was looking at the 2000miler statistics the other day on the ATC website and began to wonder about the ones that are shown in the annual AT News issues. Each year there are new people added and they are listed by date. My question is does anyone know if the date that the person is listed is the date that they started the hike, or the year that they finished the hike? If it is the year that they finished the hike, it makes me wonder why some hikers waited so long to register as having completed the trail. Does anyone have any idea on this issue?

Also, is there a list that differentiates between thru hiker and section hiker?

Spirit Walker
06-10-2005, 16:39
A few years ago, in 1998, ALDHA, in conjunction with ATC, put out a booklet in honor of the 50 year anniversary of Earl's hike, that had all the people who had reported thruhikes up to that time. Both are listed - McCarthy was from Connecticut and Hackman from Pennsylvania.

Clark Fork
06-10-2005, 22:51
A few years ago, in 1998, ALDHA, in conjunction with ATC, put out a booklet in honor of the 50 year anniversary of Earl's hike, that had all the people who had reported thruhikes up to that time. Both are listed - McCarthy was from Connecticut and Hackman from Pennsylvania.Thanks for the info. They told me many stories of the condition of the trail. At that time trail maintenance was not very good. They said their worse experience was pushing through brambles and thick brush. Both had just graduated. They were off to start families and careers. I hope they did well.

Thanks again for the update.....

Clark Fork in Western Montana