PDA

View Full Version : Container for Olive oil

dabjrnl
04-30-2010, 11:58
I'm going to try hummus on my next section hike. I found a dehydrated version at Whole Foods made by Fantastic Foods that is prepared with water and olive oil. I'm going to use those new thin bagels by Thomas' and rehydrate in a ziplock. My question to anyone who carries olive oil..... What do you use to carry it in? I seem to remember some type of "dropper" type container at Campmor but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.

Dobie Swift
04-30-2010, 12:01
http://www.nalgene-outdoor.com/store/SearchResult.aspx?CategoryID=59

white_russian
04-30-2010, 12:15
Those nalgene droppers look like the lid would come off real easy and squirt all over your stuff when you put it in your pack.

kayak karl
04-30-2010, 12:20
I'm going to try hummus on my next section hike. I found a dehydrated version at Whole Foods made by Fantastic Foods that is prepared with water and olive oil. I'm going to use those new thin bagels by Thomas' and rehydrate in a ziplock. My question to anyone who carries olive oil..... What do you use to carry it in? I seem to remember some type of "dropper" type container at Campmor but I'm not sure about that.

Thanks.
if you go when it's cold it will be a paste. i used a small peanut butter jar. warmer weather 1/2 pt and pint liqueur bottles work good to. they slip into side pouches easy. carry my fuel the same way.

Dogwood
04-30-2010, 12:41
Some of the WholeFoods and many Healthfood stores sell dried Hummus in bulk that is cheaper than the boxed Fantastic Foods Hummus. Also allows you to buy as little or as much as you might want when purchased in bulk. I'll either carry a small clove of garlic or add some dried cives to hummus and drop it into a resupply package.

I carry olive oil in a light wt 3 oz or so plastic screw capped bottle and double baggie it just in case. They can be found at at Bed, Bath, and Beyond or at REI.

Ender
04-30-2010, 12:52
I use this...
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3662704&cp=3677338.3737364.3686914
Works great, never leaks, though I still carry it in a plastic bag in case of user error.

Alligator
04-30-2010, 12:55
It's nice to have a lemon pack for the hummus as well.

dabjrnl
04-30-2010, 14:55
Thanks for all the suggestions everyone. Ender.. that looks like the ticket. I have a gift card at EMS too so I'll pick that up. Dogwood... I tried the Whole Foods in Middletown. Only had the boxed hummus according to the clerk. Is there a store in the Brick/TR area that you use? I work in Ocean Cty. and can shop on lunch hour.

Thanks

BigFoot2002
04-30-2010, 17:22
I reuse an empty 8 oz disposable water or juice drink bottle. Costs nothing. I put it in a ziplock, although I've never had a leak. That dehydrated hummus is good stuff. Use plain olive oil instead of extra virgin, unless you LIKE the taste of olive oil.

garlic08
04-30-2010, 17:43
You guys are making me drool, talking about hummus. It's about my favorite trail food. They don't call me Garlic for nothin'.

Dogwood
05-01-2010, 13:11
The WholeFoods in Middletown carried Hummus in bulk when they first opened and then stopped carrying it that way. I bought a 5 lb bag recently purchased in bulk at the WholeFoods in in Charleston SC and paid $1.29/lb. Try Dean's in Monmouth Co.

Now, with all this hummus talk, I'm getting hungry. I'm going to dip into that 5 lb bag of hummus and mix it up with some sea salt, EVOO, crushed garlic, and lemon. Add some slices of avocado, tomato, grilled eggplant, some Balsamic Vinegar, slice of Mozarella, and a toasted bagel I'm good.

Roland
05-01-2010, 18:36
Why not use the bottle the oil came in? I've seen olive oil sold in 6 and 8 ounce plastic bottles, with screw-top caps. That's an ideal size. And, you know the bottle is gonna be food grade plastic.

steve43
05-01-2010, 18:47
not sure if this will work for you, but subway has little olive oil packets they give away when you order a sandwich or salad if you ask. maybe you need 2 doz. or so for your salad?............ what can i say?... i have no morals....

fifo

BigFoot2002
05-01-2010, 23:31
I dont buy the little bottles of olive oil because they are the extra virgin type, and I am not fond of strong tasting olive oil.

My typical resupply goes like this

1 Check hiker box for oil.

2 If none found, buy 16 oz (typically the smallest size of regular olive oil) of said oil.

3 Split the contents with fellow hikers. If no takers, hiker box the remainder, in the
original bottle.

I use a lot of olive oil. It goes on my grits, in my mac and cheese, liptons, over my tortillinis, and sometimes I drink it straight out of the bottle.

Comet Omega
05-07-2010, 14:10
Single serving size olive oil is avail at http://www.minimus.biz/. All kinds of cool single serving sized items. I use the olive oil in most of my meals to get the extra calorie boost too.

Dogwood
05-07-2010, 14:22
In my experience extra virgin olive oil(EVOO) is more mild(less bitter if that's the word) than reg olive oil. I thought that was the reason why you often have to pay more for EVOO as compared to reg olive oil.

Dogwood
05-07-2010, 14:23
The strongest flavored olive oils I've consumed are from Spain or have been flavored with spices.

Miner
05-07-2010, 14:25
I carried my olive oil in an 8oz plastic water bottle as most places sold it in glass. As most bottles are larger then 8oz, I usually gave the rest away (I could have used a 16oz bottle but I didn't want to carry that much at a time).

For the few times it solidified due to being cold, I squeezed it out as a paste into my dinner pot.

millergear
05-07-2010, 14:52
2nd the 1 oz packets from Minimus. Every multi portion container I've tried always gets slick with the oil.

Spokes
05-07-2010, 15:24
I use this...
http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3662704&cp=3677338.3737364.3686914
Works great, never leaks, though I still carry it in a plastic bag in case of user error.

YES! I used the type Ender suggests and it worked great. I added olive oil and fresh chopped garlic to almost every dinner on my thru last year. Yum!

vonfrick
05-07-2010, 15:36
2nd the 1 oz packets from Minimus. Every multi portion container I've tried always gets slick with the oil.

my minimus oo packets last year were almost rancid, very bitter...and being a chemist i can spot oxidation a mile away.

OP, whatever you do double bag it. even the packets can bust open.

Mountain Wildman
05-07-2010, 15:49
In my experience extra virgin olive oil(EVOO) is more mild(less bitter if that's the word) than reg olive oil. I thought that was the reason why you often have to pay more for EVOO as compared to reg olive oil.

The different grades are determined by the sequence of pressing.
Extra Virgin Olive Oil is the first pressing of the harvested olives, The lesser grades come from the following pressings of the same olives.
From what I understand.

dabjrnl
05-07-2010, 16:26
Thanks to everyone for getting me pointed in the right direction. I'm heading to EMS tomorrow to pick up some trekking poles for Mom for Mother's Day so I'll get one of those small 4oz containers for the oil. I'll be out next Saturday on a dayhike near Boiling Springs so I'll give the dehydrated hummus a test run for lunch.

Dogwood, Deans is 10 minutes from my house. Never knew it was there. Thanks for the tip.

vonfrick
05-07-2010, 16:32
i can imagine that the store-bought hummus is expensive. do you have a dehydrator?