PDA

View Full Version : Dog gear list for a 4 day 48 mile hike

JEBjr
04-30-2010, 12:04
I think I have the obvious stuff: bowls, food, leashes, plastic sheet and bed. I hope I can treat any minor first aid problems with whats in my first aid kit. Any other suggestions?

Thoughts, suggestions, wise cracks.

Leaving the Mt Rogers HQ on Tuesday, May 11th at high noon and heading towards Trail Days if anyone wants to join Z and I. Schedule thus far: Mt Rogers HQ to Trimpi, Trimpi to Hurricane/Old Orchard/Pine Mtn (will just see how we feel), short day to Thomas Knob (blue blazing across the Crest/Pine Mountain trail), big day to Bear Tree Campground with shuttle pick up if it comes to it, then hiking into Damascus Saturday morning.

kanga
04-30-2010, 13:54
baby aspirin
check paw pads at night for cuts or cracks

sasquatch2014
04-30-2010, 20:27
Toy? Even after hiking al day my dog likes to have a toy to play with at camp that he also sleeps with at night i guess it is a substitute for the cats. Slinky dog the plus stretchy toy has made many a hike and will never quiet be clean after so many trips through the fire pit with dog slobber added to the mix.
http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/files/1/3/7/5/0/dscf2269_thumb.jpg (http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=32648&c=searchresults&searchid=31354)

Rising star played with Hank for hours even after getting to the shelter. Unless you are doing big miles for a bunch of days your pooch may still need play time at camp at night.

JEBjr
05-06-2010, 16:32
Thanks for the replies. I got a tip from another site to bring an extra collar. I consider the collar going bad.

Jager
05-15-2010, 20:20
you might consider getting self adhering gauze. Tape won't work well on fur....

lucky luke
08-19-2010, 11:54
hi,

absolutely no asprin for dogs, says my vet. only because someone mentioned it above.

i take a ring of webbing, which is his toy at home too, a leash for the waiting times at supermarkets, a ridgerest pad, a nalgene bottle for water. a bowl for his food, plus food of cause. he drinks right out of the nalgene. tick-pliers. thats about it. in winter he needs a blanket.

for treats he will eat vegetables and fruit with me and he loves almonds which i have along.

happy trails
lucky luke

Gray Blazer
08-19-2010, 12:03
tweezers for splinters.

Ironbelly
08-21-2010, 12:15
Your vet is wrong then. Aspirin is practically the only over the counter pain med that a dog can have. It can not be more than 81mg, so baby aspirins are best. You can get Rx meds from your vet that cost alot more $$ and have alot more side effects. Do some research and you will see aspirin in the right dosage amount is perfectly safe and effective for dogs.

Ironbelly
08-21-2010, 12:18
I forgot to add. I run sled dogs all the time, and have been using aspirin on my dogs for years, and my father who taught me how to sled has been using it for well over 40 years. Never once had a problem. If you don't have a baby aspirin then about a 1/4 of a regular 200mg aspirin is fine and roughly 50mg.

shelterbuilder
08-21-2010, 21:49
I forgot to add. I run sled dogs all the time, and have been using aspirin on my dogs for years, and my father who taught me how to sled has been using it for well over 40 years. Never once had a problem. If you don't have a baby aspirin then about a 1/4 of a regular 200mg aspirin is fine and roughly 50mg.

I also run sled dogs, and have used aspirin for their aches and pains for years. If I recall correctly, the recommended dose is about 5 mg. per pound of dog - a 50 lb. dog should be able to tolerate up to 250 mg. Of course, if in doubt, undermedicating with this is not going to be a problem - it will still knock the dog's pain levels down. And if REALLY confused, talk to your vet! :D
The other OTC human pain relievers (Tylenol, ibuprofen, Aleve) cannot be excreted by the dog's kidneys, and quickly build up to toxic levels. These should NEVER be given to a dog under ANY circumstance.

Sarcasm the elf
08-21-2010, 23:11
Looks like the posts above have you fairly well covered. I second the separate dog water bottle. We always bring a separate bottle for the dog, this way we can fill a bowl of water, the dogs can drink their fill and we can then pour the water back in to the bottle so that it is not wasted, this is especially useful on dry summer hikes.

You probably already know this, but pay close attention to your dog's movement and body language to see how they are holding up on the trail. They can't complain and will always follow your lead, even when they've had too much, so its' our job to know when to stop for their sake and ours.

My hiking partners and I have also learned that if we want to take a zero day, but nobody wants to admit that we should, we can always say "I think the dog's hurting, maybe we should take tomorrow off."