PDA

View Full Version : Browns Restaurant & Hotel in Glasgow is out of business

Tuney
04-30-2010, 12:34
Brown's Hotel and Restaurant and Hotel in Glasgow is closed permanently.
Ken Wallace brought me to Buena Vista instead. There's a Budget inn right close to the quick stop, and several fast food places. There's a very good inexpensive restaurant Captain Tim's about 8 blocks east (left from the Budget Inn). Cassie served me a very nice shrimp dinner with hushpuppies, salad frenchfries, green beans, and a Yuengling for less than $17 including tip. She said she'd be happy to see my friends from the trail.
Now for the bad news. It's about a 3 mile round trip up the hill to the Food Lion and CVS for your long term resupply. There is another motel in town the Buena Vista. Don't know anything about it but it's about 10 blocks east on 60 from the junction with 501, and kind of far from everything else. The public Library is on Magnolia Street in the center of town about 10 blocks from the Budget Inn.

Slo-go'en
04-30-2010, 17:18
I was not impressed with Browns hotel, but the restaurant was okay when I stayed there a few years back. Not too sorry to see them go.

Last year when I passed through that area again, I scored a ride to Buena Vista at the John's river crossing. I stayed at the Buena Vista motel (I got there real early in the day and at first the lady didn't want to let me check in, but after I explained I was a hiker, it was raining and could I please at least stash my pack in the office, she relented)

The rain cleared up later in the day, good thing as it was a REAL long walk to the Food Lion and no one would stop and give me a ride (maybe it would have been better if it was still raining!)

On the way to the Food Lion, I passed the Budget Inn and it really didn't look all that inviting. Was glad I was at the Buena Vista motel (which had a microwave and fridge in the room), even though it was farther away.

The next morning I figured it would take all day to get back to where I got off the trail at river and since I was already on the road which lead back up the hill to the other end of the trial, (and I had already done that section of trail at least twice before) I hitched from there. Took a while, but actually got a ride from a forest ranger (who was heading into town, but turned around to pick me up) How often does that happen?

Puppy
04-30-2010, 17:28
Which state is this town in ? I am looking in my handbook for it to make a note. Thanks !

10-K
04-30-2010, 17:30
Virgina... Glasgow is between Daleville and Buena Vista.

Tuney
04-30-2010, 18:32
The budget inn is ok it's close to places you want to get to.

It's not pretty to look at. There are other hikers here.

Blue Jay
05-01-2010, 08:58
About 20 miles north is the Dutch Haus in Montebello. One of the best, if not the best place to stay on the entire trail.

bigcranky
05-01-2010, 11:40
We're hiking that section this summer, and planned to resupply in Glasgow. Maybe get a shower, night in a motel, etc. We're starting in Daleville and ending somewhere in SNP.

Can anyone recommend a resupply spot near the James River Bridge? Just send a mail drop to the PO in Big Island or Glasgow? Or hitch into B.V.? (We are planning a night at the Dutch Haus, but being section hikers I'd prefer not to carry 7-8 days of food needed to get there from Daleville.)

Thanks!

S

10-K
05-01-2010, 13:23
We're hiking that section this summer, and planned to resupply in Glasgow. Maybe get a shower, night in a motel, etc. We're starting in Daleville and ending somewhere in SNP.

Can anyone recommend a resupply spot near the James River Bridge? Just send a mail drop to the PO in Big Island or Glasgow? Or hitch into B.V.? (We are planning a night at the Dutch Haus, but being section hikers I'd prefer not to carry 7-8 days of food needed to get there from Daleville.)

Thanks!

There's nothing near the foot bridge except for hitching into Glasgow and if I had to pick which to hitch into, Glasgow or Buena Vista I'd pick BV. Resupply is better in BV for sure but the grocery is a ways from any hotel if I remember right.

I've got a number for a shuttler out of Buena Vista who will pick you up at the trailhead and take you into town if you want it. You can also PM Frau here on WB who lives in Glasgow - I got a ride from her once too.

Tuney
05-03-2010, 17:29

Thanks!

S

Ken Wallace 434-609-2704 will meet you and shuttle you to Glasgow or BV. Very helpful. He's listed n the TH companion under U.S.501 VA.

The Old Chief
05-03-2010, 18:03
Another option for re-supply could be Middle Creek Campground near the crossing of VA614 at Jennings Creek. The campground is about a mile from the AT crossing. They have some hiker bunkhouses, a great grill, and short term resupply. They will also hold a mail drop. The folks that run it are good to hikers.

Tuney
05-03-2010, 18:52
Another option for re-supply could be Middle Creek Campground near the crossing of VA614 at Jennings Creek. The campground is about a mile from the AT crossing. They have some hiker bunkhouses, a great grill, and short term resupply. They will also hold a mail drop. The folks that run it are good to hikers.

I took a zero there a week ago. The lady is very nice. But I wouldn't recommend it for long term resupply.

bigcranky
05-04-2010, 08:34
Thanks, folks. We'll check our options and figure it out. Looks like the campground or a ride into BV will work.

Sly
05-04-2010, 09:38
The Thru-hikers Companion has it listed as Howard's Restaurant and Motel. Phone number has been disconnected.

On another note the town of Glasgow spoke of making a hiker hostel but I'm not sure if it ever happened.

WalkinHome
05-04-2010, 11:40
I was not impressed with Browns hotel, but the restaurant was okay when I stayed there a few years back. Not too sorry to see them go.

Last year when I passed through that area again, I scored a ride to Buena Vista at the John's river crossing. I stayed at the Buena Vista motel (I got there real early in the day and at first the lady didn't want to let me check in, but after I explained I was a hiker, it was raining and could I please at least stash my pack in the office, she relented)

The rain cleared up later in the day, good thing as it was a REAL long walk to the Food Lion and no one would stop and give me a ride (maybe it would have been better if it was still raining!)

On the way to the Food Lion, I passed the Budget Inn and it really didn't look all that inviting. Was glad I was at the Buena Vista motel (which had a microwave and fridge in the room), even though it was farther away.

The next morning I figured it would take all day to get back to where I got off the trail at river and since I was already on the road which lead back up the hill to the other end of the trial, (and I had already done that section of trail at least twice before) I hitched from there. Took a while, but actually got a ride from a forest ranger (who was heading into town, but turned around to pick me up) How often does that happen?

Hey, Slo, good tactic - to get in early - threaten them with stashing your pack in their office LOL. Future hikers take note!! Have a safe hike.