PDA

View Full Version : White Mountains-Hiking-Trails?

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 12:36
Me and my Girlfriend are camping in the White mountains National forest the end of may.
We reserved a campsite,Now camping isn't the reason for this thread.
My question is she is relatively new to hiking and I'm not.
Can anyone give me some suggestions on really great hikes that aren't to difficult for a semi-newbie? A few trails that would boost her experience but at the same time not scare her away from Hiking?
-Great Views
-Animals viewing
-Waterholes.
2 miles plus please.:)

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 12:47
I am looking into the same thing for Memorial Day, I moved up here 2 years ago and I am finally able to get out and explore, I was thinking of Dolly Copp campground which is fairly close to me but I want to find a campground that has the A.T. through it or nearby or at least a hiking trail. Originally from Connecticut :-)

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 12:49
im staying at cover bridge campsite and yeah memorial weekend also! Maybe hook-up for some hiking that hiking.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 13:01
Your about an hour from where I live, I will keep an eye on this thread to see what others recommend, maybe we could hook up for a hike, sounds good.
Roland and Slogoen live in this area, they may have some ideas once they see this thread.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 13:02
I'm going to look into Covered Bridge, Maybe I'll reserve a site there.

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 13:09
YEah would love to, keep in touch, when it get's closer to the time, i will shoot you my cell phone # if your still interested.

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 13:10
yeah its supposed to be really nice. dolly copp, i have experienced bear problems in the past. So i reserved one at the covered bridge site.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 13:13
Yeah, I noticed the warning signs they posted at Dolly Copp last time I cruised through. Yes, I am on this site every day, We can connect in a few weeks.
Sounds like a plan.

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 13:31
Indeed,it doese, good luck reserving a site

MelNino
04-30-2010, 13:36
While sadly I am not camping...a group of us will be hiking in the Whites Memorial Day weekend (and my boyfriend and I be staying longer, to celebrate my bday! Case of Tucks, anyone?)

Maybe I'll see you in that neck of the woods :)

Alaskanhkr23
04-30-2010, 13:44
would love to join anyone,up- Will be looking forward to hiking haven't went for along time

Slo-go'en
04-30-2010, 17:45
Well, in the Dolly copp area, you have lots of options. 100's of miles of trails in that general area. Warning: most all of them are steep and rocky! Plus you'll need to get one of those stupid NF parking stickers to avoid a fine at nearly all the trail head parking lots.

At Dolly Copp, your right across the street from the Carter-Moriah ridge with a number of trails which go to the various summits along there. Your not far from Pinkham Notch and various trails up Mt Washington.

For easier trails, try some on the Randolph side of Madison/Adams. One of my favorite day hikes is up to Dome Rock. You start at Appalachia on RT 2 (trails parking, one of the only free parking lots in the area) go up the Brook side trail which goes past 3-4 water falls, cross over to the Valley way trail for a short ways, cross back over the stream to the "In look" trail and up to Dome rock, which has a nice series of ledges with views of Mt Madison and Mt Adams along the way. Only one fairly short steep streach of trail on the In Look trail. From the top of Dome Rock, there are several ways you can loop back to where you started if you want to make it a longer hike.

I have a youtube video of the Dome Rock hike, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJxaTb_ngw

Be sure to stop at Gorham Hardware or Moria sports and pick up an RMC trails map, there is a maze of trails on the Randolph side of the mountain and it's easy to get lost if you don't keep track of which one your on.

Or, just get a map and pick a trail. Thier all good.

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 17:55
Well, in the Dolly copp area, you have lots of options. 100's of miles of trails in that general area. Warning: most all of them are steep and rocky! Plus you'll need to get one of those stupid NF parking stickers to avoid a fine at nearly all the trail head parking lots.

At Dolly Copp, your right across the street from the Carter-Moriah ridge with a number of trails which go to the various summits along there. Your not far from Pinkham Notch and various trails up Mt Washington.

For easier trails, try some on the Randolph side of Madison/Adams. One of my favorite day hikes is up to Dome Rock. You start at Appalachia on RT 2 (trails parking, one of the only free parking lots in the area) go up the Brook side trail which goes past 3-4 water falls, cross over to the Valley way trail for a short ways, cross back over the stream to the "In look" trail and up to Dome rock, which has a nice series of ledges with views of Mt Madison and Mt Adams along the way. Only one fairly short steep streach of trail on the In Look trail. From the top of Dome Rock, there are several ways you can loop back to where you started if you want to make it a longer hike.

I have a youtube video of the Dome Rock hike, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuJxaTb_ngw

Be sure to stop at Gorham Hardware or Moria sports and pick up an RMC trails map, there is a maze of trails on the Randolph side of the mountain and it's easy to get lost if you don't keep track of which one your on.

Or, just get a map and pick a trail. Thier all good.

Awesome!! Thanks,
I live about 200 feet from Gorham Hardware, I'll pick up the map from them.