PDA

View Full Version : Legs gave out

double7
04-30-2010, 15:23
I just don't understand. Hiking on upgrades on the AT caused a tremendous pressure on my legs. I'd walk 50 to a hundred yards and my legs would be so week I had to drop my pack which weighed in at about 28 pounds and litterally dropped to the ground. On downgrades or leval grades I had no problems. It's that uphill climb. I noticed my inner nylon socks caused a ring around my lower leg about 5 inches above my ankle. The indentment ring was about a 1/4 inch in depth. I found this out after 3 days of wearing my socks. I'm thinking that maybe circulation. Or perhaps I wasn't eating the proper food. To explain how bad it was that if I set a target to reach on an upgrade sometimes I would not be able to reach it . Maybe by only ten feet or so. I had to discontinue my hike and come home. It was a very dissapointing thing for me since I have been hiking and backpacking for almost a year down here in Florida. Mostly leval. I intend to go back to the AT in September. Soon as I figure out why. I wonder if any here on this forum experienced the same thing. Pain was not an issue. Legs just gave out. I know a doctor might be able to explain it but I believe there are so many experienced hikers here that maybe they might have some sort of answer. I worked so hard all year long and feel very hurt on leaving my planned hike

Ender
04-30-2010, 15:27
First, you should for sure go and see a doctor about this.

Second, it sounds a lot like circulation issues to me. But I'm not even remotely a doctor, so I could be way off base.

So yeah, your situation seems pretty extreme. I would go to a doctor.

Jonnycat
04-30-2010, 15:35
Did you experience these problems in the training hikes you did in the months before your more extensive excursion?

Also: ask your physician.

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2010, 15:49
Is this your first time in the mountains? (from your post I believe the answer is: Yes, first time hiking in the mountains).

Where did this happen (curious about the terrain)?

Did these symptoms just occur one day or start from the very beginning of your hike?

Try and simulate the experience by lunges/squats. If you can see if repeated repititions will relieve the symptoms.

I know, I know I'm not a doctor...

double7
04-30-2010, 15:56
I definately will see my doctor. I have hiked with my backpack in 10 mile days, 6 mile days and never experienced any problems. I felt I was ready. Hiking up to Springer from Bib Stamp Gap I had some issues. But Hiking up to Hawk Mt. Shelter was a disaterous. Did about 8.7 miles that day.

Pedaling Fool
04-30-2010, 15:57
...Try and simulate the experience by lunges/squats. If you can see if repeated repititions will relieve the symptoms.

I know, I know I'm not a doctor...

When I say, see if repeated repititions will relieve the symptoms, I mean over a long period of time, such as weeks...In other words see if it's just a matter of building up a little muscle and associated cardio-conditioning needed for working the large leg muscles. Walking on the AT uses much more muscles than walking on the FT, I know I live in Florida.

But of couse see a doctor.

TheCheek
04-30-2010, 16:49
See a doctor. At first pass the indentation on your legs sounds like pitting edema which is usually a symptom of more serious underlying issues. Definitely see a doctor before heading out on the AT.

Lellers
04-30-2010, 17:09
I was thinking pitting edema, as well, which could be an indicator of a more serious problem. Definitely see doc.

That being said, I also struggled quite a bit with uphills at first. I live in fairly flat terrain, and I don't often get into real uphill grades to train. I thought I was a fairly strong person, until I signed up for some training sessions at a gym. The trainer had me doing lunges and other leg work, and it very quickly became apparent that I had far less leg strength than I had thought. I was completely surprised by that, since I was able to do 10 to 15 mile hikes on flat and rolling terrain with no problem. Uphill definitely requires greater muscle strength.

See what your doc says. If all is well, then you may need to work on building leg strength. I added lunges, weight training, and stadium stair runs, which improved my uphill hiking greatly.

jesse
04-30-2010, 17:13
77 y/o.........

Kerosene
04-30-2010, 18:24
I wonder if he was sufficiently hydrated also. I've found that the older I get, the more everything has to be 'in balance', with hydration being a lot more important than when I was in my 20s. Regardless, I'd go see a doctor also.

weary
04-30-2010, 19:32
Us elderly folks certainly should see our doctors. But I have identical symptoms when I climb hills these days -- and I'm only 4 years older.

If you find a solution, please let me know. But somehow, I think it may be related to age. I know when I talk to my doctor he is very sympathetic, but offers no solutions.

Sometimes I think he's thinking, "what do you expect, you've lived longer and are more active than most of my patients, regardless of age. Just live with it and stop dreaming about being a teenager again."

I'm planning a backpack into Chimney Pond on Katahdin in July with family and friends. I figure by going slow, I can get that far. And if I do, I plan a summit attempt. From the Chimney it's only a 4 mile round trip to the summit, I figure it may still be doable. I just hope I have the wisdom to give up if it beomes too difficult.

You should also.

Weary

sbhikes
04-30-2010, 19:53
Are you consuming enough salt or other electrolytes? Forget what the doctors tell you about low sodium diets when you are hiking.

mmais68569
04-30-2010, 19:57
By looking at your home location in Florida, it is a whole different world down here. I can do 14- 18 miles on the 3rd or 4th day here in FL. but in the mountains I max at 10. The mountains & the up hill grades are hard to find in FL. & the altitude with the thinner air also hurts us. I walk 5miles a day & bike 10 a day to get ready for my hikes this starts about 6 weeks before I go. I also walk up & down water retention pond slopes to help the legs.
If you would like to do a FL. hike let me know I am just up the road from you.

Mike

modiyooch
04-30-2010, 21:01
I grew up at sea level. It is definately not the same.
I truly believe you can not train for backpacking except for maybe a rock climbing class.

sbhikes
04-30-2010, 21:21
Even Florida has overpasses, stadium steps and tall buildings.

SawnieRobertson
04-30-2010, 21:36

My suggestion is that you see a sports medicine physician. If she/he believes that this is a cardiology problem, then go to a cardiologist who specializes in sports medicine.
Do you get my drift? Too many physicians are still out there who fear rather than promote use of the body for whatever reason in their training. And to me it sounds like it's time for you to hop on an elliptical machine that "climbs" plus what John Gault said after having the right doctor check you out.

Another 77 year old,

Kinnickinic

WILLIAM HAYES
05-01-2010, 16:12
try glutamine powder mixed with electrolytes i use it in a liter of water and hydrate with it in the morning- if u are hiking 6 miles without pain i doubt if its PAD- if its is you can take arginine 1000mgx2 a day and along with exercise it should resolve itself-if you are taking statins one side effect is leg and muscle pain and peripheral neuropathy along with some memory gaps try red yeast rice in lieu of statins this should help good luck- google glutamine,arginine and red yeast rice for more info- you can buy it from swansons virtamins -get glutamine from GNC
Hillbilly

sbhikes
05-01-2010, 16:49
Awesome info, William. I passed along the info about red yeast rice to someone I know who I think could do better than take cholesterol meds. I might have to try it myself, too since I refuse to take meds.

Toolshed
05-01-2010, 17:47
I used to have the same issues Double7. mine was related to a genetically deformed Aortic valve, or aortic insufficiency. I didn't have the problems with the swelling and the pitting edema until I started on Calcium Channel Blockers, ACES, ARBS and Beta Blockers - I went through a whole regimen of them over a 6-7 years trying to find one that offered the best benefits with the fewest side effects. My problem was solved when I moved to a different state and a new, more agressive cardiologist recommended I just get aortic valve replacement surgery. I am free of this issue now, but I wonder if at 77 years old, you are on any of these classes of drugs or any Afib drugs, or are experienced some sort of Aortic Insufficiency or Stenosis.
Before doing anything, I would strongly recommend a visit to your PCP to see what he or she feels the underlying cause or disease state could be...

Blissful
05-01-2010, 17:49

My suggestion is that you see a sports medicine physician. If she/he believes that this is a cardiology problem, then go to a cardiologist who specializes in sports medicine.
Do you get my drift? Too many physicians are still out there who fear rather than promote use of the body for whatever reason in their training. And to me it sounds like it's time for you to hop on an elliptical machine that "climbs" plus what John Gault said after having the right doctor check you out.

Another 77 year old,

Kinnickinic

Agree = Sports Dr all the way.