PDA

View Full Version : Right zip or left zip, and why?

spirit4earth
04-30-2010, 15:59
What are your sleeping bag zipper preferences, and why?

Ender
04-30-2010, 16:11
I am right handed and I have both a right zip bag and a left zip bag. I prefer the left zip bag... it's easier to reach across my body to unzip than it is to contort my wrist to grab the zipper.

Sadly, it's my lighter bag with the right zipper, so I just deal with the wrist contortions and carry the lighter bag. :rolleyes:

Mountain Wildman
04-30-2010, 16:24
My bag is a center zip, All of my past bags were right zip, I didn't even know they offered zip options until last year. I prefer right zip because I am right handed and figure if I have to grab a weapon to protect myself from an intruder whether animal or otherwise I would use my strong hand. I've never had any intrusions in 26 years but you never know.

Lyle
04-30-2010, 16:49
Most of mine are left zip for the reasons Ender gave.

beakerman
04-30-2010, 16:55
All of mine are left zip but I didn't have the option.

jesse
04-30-2010, 17:10
Quilt. No zipper.

mykl
04-30-2010, 17:49
It could depend on the tent being used. With a side entry tent, I like the zipper to be on the door side, if possible, to get in and out of the bag and tent easier.

Franco
04-30-2010, 18:23
The right handed left zip preference may sound odd but in practice works best for most. Here is why.
Imagine you are fully zipped up , how can you reach with your right hand the spot above your right shoulder where the zip ends and pull that down ?

Franco

lucky luke
05-01-2010, 03:52
hi ,
have left zip only. strictly for right hand convenience. if it was for safety reasons i would stay at home, lock my front door, and sit in the rocker right behind it with a loaded gun on the lap all night. but i would never go out in the wild where the skunks are roaming.

sweet dreams
lucky luke

Roland
05-01-2010, 19:12
Either will work, but most prefer the zip to be opposite their dominate hand, for reasons already stated.

Another consideration is whether you will be coupling your bag with your partner's. In that case, you'd have to get the opposite zip of your partner's bag.

ChinMusic
05-01-2010, 19:19
With my Lunar Solo I like the zipper AWAY from the opening. So I choose right zips. On trips where I take my dog it makes it easier to pull him in if he gets cold, as he sleeps to my right.

STICK
05-02-2010, 00:09
I bought a right zip with my first bag, thinking I am right handed, so, ya know.....I have found that I am not to fond of it. I will be ordering a Marmot Helium soon, and I will be sure to get a left zip on it. Just more natural for me to reach over and grab the zipper normally than try to bend my wrist all around and fight with it.

Roland
05-02-2010, 05:11
I bought a right zip with my first bag, thinking I am right handed, so, ya know.....I have found that I am not to fond of it. I will be ordering a Marmot Helium soon, and I will be sure to get a left zip on it. Just more natural for me to reach over and grab the zipper normally than try to bend my wrist all around and fight with it.

Exactly. In a mummy bag, it's much easier to reach across your chest than it is to bend your elbow to bring your hand up to your shoulder. That's not something you think of until you've tried it.

bigcranky
05-02-2010, 21:10
Left side zipper. I like to sleep on my left side, and I prefer not to have the zipper running down my back.

BOWSINGER
05-02-2010, 21:46
I have right zip bags because I am left handed, but my favorite bag is center zip and as a side sleeper it is the only way to go.

spirit4earth
05-06-2010, 20:35
I bought a right zip Megalite at last. I tried the left and right zips side by side, and I really like having my dominant arm free if necessary. No problem at all using the zipper with my left hand, and I prefer reaching across and adjusting the hood toggle with my right hand. Perfect!

stranger
05-06-2010, 21:07
It's completely personal preference...I'm right handed and I prefer a right hand zip...I do write left handed however use my right hand for almost everything else, including zipping my bag.

Do what feels right for you, there is no correct or preferred way. Kinda like asking:

- What's your favorite food and why? Then someone says pizza, but your allergic to cheese!

Personal preference is what matters

modiyooch
05-06-2010, 21:31
I like to sleep on my side facing the tent opening. I also like to stick my feet or legs out the zipper at times. Therefore, my vote would be for the side that faces the door- left.