PDA

View Full Version : hard core '10

mountain squid
04-30-2010, 17:56
It is almost that time again. For those who don’t know, Hard Core is the Sunday and Monday after Trail Days. It is an opportunity for everyone to get out and work on the AT with the TN Eastman Hiking Club. This year it will be on the 16th and 17th of May.

Hikers will be picked up Sunday morning in Damascus and transported to work site. On Sunday, we will be working on Pond Flats and on Monday we will be working North of Hughes Gap on Roan Mountain. On Tuesday, current hikers will be transported back to where they got off the trail.

Dinners on Sun and Mon will be provided. You will need to have your own breakfasts, lunches and snacks. Lunches will be eaten at the work sites. You will also want to bring water/something to drink to the work sites. Lodging will be at Kincora and Braemar Castle in Hampton, TN.

Sign-up for Hard Core will be on Friday and Saturday of Trail Days. Me and Bob Peoples will be at the ATC booth in town. Sign-up early, because the list fills quickly.

For those with a vehicle, we may need your assistance in transporting hikers to and from the work sites and then back to the AT. We usually have work gloves available. However, sometimes it is difficult to get a matching pair...you might pick up a cheap pair prior to. Sturdy footwear is a good idea too.

It's always a good time (even if you do get a blister or two on the hands). Hope to see you there!

See you on the trail (and at Trail Days),
mt squid

CrumbSnatcher
04-30-2010, 23:03
MS I wish i could be there :(
tell bob hello for me, if it crosses your mind, thanks

mountain squid
05-12-2010, 19:08
MS I wish i could be there :(
tell bob hello for me, if it crosses your mind, thanksSaw Bob yesterday. He mentioned something about a couple of 80# bags of concrete...

All the preps have been done for Hard Core. Nothing left to do but dig new trail. There should be plenty of rocks for the rock crews . . .

Both work site trailheads have very limited parking available, so some shuttling will be necessary.

See you on the trail (and at Hard Core),
mt squid

CrumbSnatcher
05-12-2010, 19:42
Saw Bob yesterday. He mentioned something about a couple of 80# bags of concrete...

All the preps have been done for Hard Core. Nothing left to do but dig new trail. There should be plenty of rocks for the rock crews . . .

Both work site trailheads have very limited parking available, so some shuttling will be necessary.

See you on the trail (and at Hard Core),
mt squid
clyde smith shelter was my first and favorite of my 3 hardcores, it felt so great to give back to the trail! i hope you all have a great time, wish i could be there!!! mountain squid, thanks for passing on my message to bob

Tennessee Viking
05-12-2010, 21:54
I am Hardcore bound.

Bags of concrete???? Are we doing Curley Maple instead??

mountain squid
05-13-2010, 19:36
You're Welcome, CrumbSnatcher.

No changes to the projects, Tennessee Viking.

See everyone tomorrow!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

mountain squid
05-19-2010, 20:03
Another Hard Core is in the books. This was the 10th year of hikers giving back to the trail during the Damascus Hard Core event. Over 100 hikers volunteered their time to play in the dirt, oops, I mean, dig new trail. A great, big THANK YOU to everyone involved.

Early Sunday morning we gathered all the hikers at the Bingo Training Center (how do you train for bingo?!?) in Damascus. After a trip through Mountain City everyone arrived at Watauga Point. Since parking was limited at the access point, shuttles were provided for transporting to the trailhead.

Arriving at the trailhead, hikers found tools neatly arranged per section. Everyone picked up some gloves and a tool or two and then headed up the path to the AT. It was fairly steep but not as steep as the other route that had been scouted out beforehand.

Work began on a relocation on the South side of Pond Flats. Digging through duff, roots and while moving rocks, 1900 feet of new trail was constructed. Although there are still several sections yet to be worked on, this section was completed and blazed open. Brand new trail, which avoids a steep and eroded climb.

Back at Watauga Point Pavilion, Dinner was provided to the hard working hikers. Luckily, the heavy rain held out until after eating.

To commemorate the 10th Anniversary of Damascus Hard Core some very nice gratuities were passed out: a T-shirt (Thanks Bob and ATC), a hat (Thanks Hammer) and a Nalgene Bottle (Thanks Otto). Patches and Year rockers were also passed out.

After spending the night at either Kincora Hostel or Braemar Castle in Hampton, hikers were once again transported to a shuttle stop on Monday morning. This time we met at the Convention Center in Roan Mountain State Park. From there we went to Hughes Gap on the South side of Roan Mountain.

This relocation is a long switchback, which also avoids a steep climb. Although it rained off and on and despite getting very muddy, everyone remained enthusiastic and was able to continue digging another 1900 feet of new trail. Only one 3000# rock was moved (numerous smaller rocks were moved) and expertly placed as a step at the switchback. This section was not opened due to the conditions.

All the tools were gathered and then everyone was shuttled back to Roan Mountain State Park (sorry about the mess in the restrooms). A spaghetti Dinner was provided back at Kincora.

On Tuesday, all the hikers were transported back to wherever they were on the trail.

Once again, Thank You to all the VOLUNTEERS who helped to make this event a success. Without VOLUNTEERS the AT would eventually cease to exist. Hope to see everyone next year . . . do you have a patch yet?

I’ll upload some pictures soon.

HARD CORE!!

See you on the trail,
mt squid

Lauriep
05-28-2010, 18:22
We've posted 83 photos from Hardcore on the Appalachian Trail Conservancy Facebook page. Check them out!

Laurie Potteiger
ATC