PDA

View Full Version : SOBO - seasonal closures ?

Puppy
04-30-2010, 18:49
When heading SOBO - at what point are there issues regarding places "closed for season" ?

I read somewhere that places listed in the guidebooks may not be open when the SOBOs come through the area, and I am trying to figure out at what date range / area this starts taking effect.

Thanks !

warraghiyagey
04-30-2010, 19:19
I'm guessing it varies from one hostel to the next. . .

wcgornto
04-30-2010, 19:30
I went SOBO last year. June 14 to November 29. I didn't have any issues with services being closed.

There were very few services at NOC. It was like a ghost town. The restaurant was only open from 11:00 to 3:00. The bunk room was open, with space rented in the office.

stumpknocker
04-30-2010, 23:43
The only places I've ever really had closings where I had to carry more food walking south was a couple times when I was really late coming through Shenandoah.

One year I walked through there just days before they were closing services down. That made it a lot easier.

I don't remember the exact dates, but any guide you're carrying should have the dates.

You may not find all the services a nobo has, but walking south makes it worth it. :)

fiddlehead
05-01-2010, 07:11
Dont' know dates but even some state parks were closed. I want to guess it was in NY or NJ in Nov or Dec.
Many hotels were closed. Also many hostels (Uncle Johnny's in Erwin was one of the few open all year)
Yes Shenendoah NP was closed as was the Blue Ridge Parkway through it after 5 pm I believe it was (we were there in Dec)
I wish I had some exact dates for you.
You could read through our journal entries that are here (http://fiddlehead.wordpress.com/2010/03/08/logs-from-appalacian-trail-portion-of-our-triple-crown-in-one-year-attempt-20012002/) for that SOBO in 2001/2002.
You must read them backwards as they begin at the end I believe.
Good luck.

The Unknown Hiker
05-24-2010, 16:09
There are indeed various small stores that may have reduced hours or even close during late Fall/Winter mnoths. The guidebooks may have updated hours/days - or they may not. If you are planning on resupplying at a particular place, I would call and ask them specifically.

The same can apply to motels/hostels.

Here are some examples of places that do close:

1) The huts in the Whites
2) Hostels where winter weather prohibits normal customers
3) The campground stores through the Shenandoah NP
4) Parts of the NOC
5) Access roads from Trail to towns

On the other hand, some places are MORE expensive because they do their business at that time of year - places near ski resorts, etc.

Keep in mind that the Post Service is starting to cut back (or close) the small town post offices. If you can't receive a parcel then you depend even more on a local store.

It's not practical to call everywhere, but for those places you plan on resupplying at - call about their hours of operation; credit card acceptance; even if they might accept a resupply package.

If a business has reduced hours, you need to factor in the shorter period of daylight hours available and the time you will need to get to that business.