PDA

View Full Version : Another sock question

sbhikes
04-30-2010, 19:18
I'm going hiking next week on a trail that has about 300 creek crossings in 45 miles. I do not plan to stop and change my shoes or take off my socks every time I cross the creek nor do I intend to take any measures whatsoever to keep my feet dry.

I was wondering what your opinions on the best socks for this type of situation. I'm interested in socks that dry as quickly as the lightest, trail runners. At one point I thought cheap nylon dress socks would work, but they seemed to hold more water than thicker wool socks. So I'm thoroughly confused now about what is the best kind of sock.

Any suggestions?

Egads
04-30-2010, 21:25
Use your normal hiking socks but change your shoes from Goretex to a mesh shoe

sbhikes
04-30-2010, 21:44
I wear a mesh shoe already. I'm looking for a good sock for walking in streams that won't disintegrate and that will dry out quickly.

Old Grouse
04-30-2010, 21:58
Wool. Sheep don't disintegrate in the rain. Wool socks will dry fairly quickly.

fiddlehead
04-30-2010, 22:07
Depends how cold it is.
For me, I wear a light nylon (or polypro) sock (like a liner) if it's warm. Dries fast, no hassles.
If it's cold, I like fleece socks. 200 weight ones. They keep you warm when wet.
I imagine that wool would do the same. I just like fleece.

THe CDT is like that. Sometimes you'll have 20 creek crossings in an afternoon. Just keep walking, don't even slow down. Usually gets quite cold after a while. I hate when my private parts turn numb though.

Marta
04-30-2010, 22:10
I like wicking liner socks. Alone, without the over socks.

LockJaww
04-30-2010, 22:10
I was a big fan of Darn Tuffs...Until I hiked in a pair all day soaking wet.....If I know my feet are going to get wet and stay wet, Ive found Bridgedale Special Op's work very well for me.

ChinMusic
04-30-2010, 22:11
Wool socks. Coat your feet with a product called Hydropel prior to hiking and your feet will barely know that your socks are wet.

Dogwood
05-01-2010, 12:56
300 creek crossings in 45 miles? You need a boat not a sock.

sbhikes
05-01-2010, 16:46
Yeah, it's pretty awful. Every time I do this hike I think I'm not going to do it again. And then I do it again anyway. I'd really like to go somewhere else but a friend of mine has an annual trip. I guess I'll just bring my usual wool socks and hope for the best. I really don't want to ruin my new shoes, either, but oh well. At least I get to sleep outside for a few days.

burger
05-01-2010, 17:00
+1 on liner socks--just wear 1 or 2 pairs of the thin liners. They'll dry in minutes in the sun, but even if you have to them on wet in the morning, they don't feel squishy and damp like heavier socks do.

Where's this hike? Sounds like Paria Canyon...

Egads
05-01-2010, 18:13
Wright Socks are liner socks with wool outers. They work better for me than Smartwool

sbhikes
05-01-2010, 20:55
The hike is on Manzana Creek and the Sisquoc River in the San Rafael in Santa Barbara county.

McPick
05-02-2010, 18:28
Ms. sbhikes, Piper or Diane, I gotta tell ya, I've tried them all. Wool, fake wool, silk... you name it. I've got a drawer full.

The socks I wear now are the Dr. Scholl's Diabetes and Circulatory socks available at your nearby, friendly neighborhood Walbox store. 92% poly, 7% nylon and 1% lycra. The price is right, too. Bought a 2 pair package for a lady friend today... $6.50. (My size, 13 to 15, were $8.50.)

I wore these socks for the latter half of the AT (NOBO) and on the CT. Easy to replace.
Love em!

jcazz
05-02-2010, 18:53
http://www.drymaxsocks.com/

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 00:19
If you are crossing 300 creeks in 45 miles and getting your feet wet every time, your socks are not going to dry out no matter what they're made out of. Wear sandals.

sbhikes
05-03-2010, 10:26
I can't wear sandals, at least not by themselves. I need socks to keep from getting blisters. I might bring my Keen sandals, although I think they're really hard to walk in. Then maybe I can wear liner socks. I find liner socks to be too slippery in my running shoes. I don't mind having wet feet, just not sloshy wet feet. I've never tried my keen sandals in water though. I'm guessing they will be a lot slower to dry than they should be.