PDA

View Full Version : Death on the AT....

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 10:18
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any deaths that happened on the AT. I know years ago there was a murder? (right?) But not just necessarily deaths by that means, any accidental falls? Some type of disease? Anything you've got, I'm interested in hearing. I'm curious.

Thanks

emerald
05-01-2010, 10:30
The topic about which you inquired is discussed often and was just revisited days ago. I don't understand why it generates such a high level of interest.

You could search for it or wait for someone to link it if you do not know how. You're not likely to wait more than a few hours since there seems to be a high level of activity for a time when I would expect more people to be outdoors.

HiKen2011
05-01-2010, 10:32
There was a 20 something yr old man that died of an anuerism some yrs back, in the 90s I think. Someone actually talked to him on a mountain, he was bundled in his sleeping bag complaining of a terrible headache. He died later that day I think. Maybe someone else here knows more about the story.

Dtour

Pedaling Fool
05-01-2010, 10:43
When I hiked in 2006 someone died of a heartattack a few miles ahead of me in one of the shelters. This happened either in Georgia or NC, I don't know too much about it.

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 10:46
The topic about which you inquired is discussed often and was just revisited days ago. I don't understand why it generates such a high level of interest.

You could search for it or wait for someone to link it if you do not know how. You're not likely to wait more than a few hours since there seems to be a high level of activity for a time when I would expect more people to be outdoors.

Yea...I hear ya Emerald.

Tipi Walter
05-01-2010, 10:53
Since the AT goes by Mt Washington, you could include all the deaths up there, too. Here's a neat link:

http://www.mountwashington.org/about/visitor/surviving.php

There's also a good book about the history of Mt Washington and the mishaps over the years. Just can't remember the name of it.

Emerald's way off base and I support a keen interest in backpacking mishaps, whether on the AT or not. There's no better reading when I'm out on a long backpacking trip than taking several mountaineering books about guys right at the end of their tether. As I sit in a cold tent during a blizzard reading, they are describing near-death and often fatal experiences on the high ground. It makes my trips easier when I get to read about people who are really facing some extremes.

Why isn't there a big old book on backpacking mishaps and deaths? It's needed. I know the Smokies has a book about rescues in the last, what, 50 years? That might be relevant to the AT.

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 10:57
Emerald's way off base and I support a keen interest in backpacking mishaps, whether on the AT or not.

I agree Tipi. Thanks for the info!

garlic08
05-01-2010, 10:59
There's also a good book about the history of Mt Washington and the mishaps over the years. Just can't remember the name of it.

"Not Without Peril". Good read.

emerald
05-01-2010, 11:00
Maybe the thread starter might make up his or her mind and Tipi indicate how I'm off-base rather than make an empty, unsupported claim?

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 11:08
Yea...I hear ya Emerald.

When I said that Emerald, I was trying to avoid what your obviously bent on doing. Starting something other than what I created the thread for. My mind was made up when I posted that. I just didn't/don't want this thread to go where you're taking it. With all due respect to you Emerald, you don't have to contribute to this thread if you don't like or agree with it.

emerald
05-01-2010, 11:16
The murders were listed for the umteeth time earlier this week. I won't link them for you. Y'all need to become a bit more resourceful.

That is my only point. Lord only knows what sinister plot you imagined was about to be hatched. Get on with your contribution.

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 11:23
The murders were listed for the umteeth time earlier this week. I won't link them for you. Y'all need to become a bit more resourceful.

That is my only point. Lord only knows what sinister plot you imagine was about to be hatched. Get on with your contribution.

Again..I hear ya Emerald. Thanks for the green light.:)

Mountain Wildman
05-01-2010, 12:48
I posted this on a previous thread.
I admit that I only did about 30 minutes of research so I didn't get specific details.

Crimes and disappearances on the A.T. These are just some of the statistics:
S.N.P. - 1996
Williams 24 years old and Winans 26 years old, Gay hikers murdered.
Blood Mountain - 2008
Meredith Emerson 24 years old, murdered.
Giles County - 1981
2 Hikers murdered
Grafton Notch - 2007
Paul Marsh, Signed trail registry and was never seen again.
Pennsylvania - 1990
Molly Larue, Raped and Murdered.
Geoffrey Hood, Murdered.
Quincy Township, Pa. - 1998
Tumbling Run Shelter, 28 year old woman hiking alone raped.
Pennsylvania - 1988
Woman shot.
Pearisburg, Va. - 1981
Man and Woman hiking from Maine to Georgia murdered near Pearisburg.
Tennessee - 1975
Wisconsin woman hacked to death by a hiker with a hatchet.
Georgia - 1974
26 year old man murdered at a shelter.
Pinnacle Lake Trail - 2006
Mary Cooper 56 years old and her daughter Susanna Stodden 27 years old both murdered while hiking.
Is the A.T. predominantly safe considering the amount of pedestrian traffic? Yes. Is it completely safe to hike with no concern at all for personal safety. Review the statistics above once more.
You tell me, Is it 100% safe?
The answer is obviously, NO!!!

rustedsatellite
05-01-2010, 12:57
My grandpa died about 2 miles south of Clingmans Dome about 13 years ago.

Nevermind
05-01-2010, 13:07
Mountain Wildman, I did a quick search and Paul Marsh was never seen alive again. He was found though. http://appalachiantrail.blogspot.com/2007/08/day-hiker-dies-in-maine.html I couldn't access the actual article.

Mountain Wildman
05-01-2010, 13:15
Mountain Wildman, I did a quick search and Paul Marsh was never seen alive again. He was found though. http://appalachiantrail.blogspot.com/2007/08/day-hiker-dies-in-maine.html I couldn't access the actual article.

Thank God for that, But he was dead either way.
When I posted the list previously it was just to confirm that although the A.T. may be safer than a college campus etc... Like anywhere at anytime we live in a world that can be wonderful and /or dangerous at the same time. And though hiking the A.T. is very safe, people can still be hurt or killed there whether by accident or intention.

Mountain Wildman
05-01-2010, 13:19
My grandpa died about 2 miles south of Clingmans Dome about 13 years ago.

Sorry about your Grandpa Rusted, I lost mine to emphysema in 79,
I still miss him and was just thinking about him last week.
It is a tough way to go, If you smoke cigarettes, Quit! If you don't, Then don't start. It hurts the people who love you as much as it hurts you. We all die but why facilitate the process.

trailangelmary
05-01-2010, 13:44
I agree that might be interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
I, personally, like stories with a good ending. Like the mishap in '03 with a hiker named Snot-rocket! While hiking north on the AT out of Duncannon in July, he passed Dude and Very Small Animal who were doing a southbound slackpack. As they stopped to chat, Snot-rocket got bit by a wasp. Not knowing he was allergic, he proceeded to swell to the point that he couldn't talk. Dude called 911, helped Snot-rocket get to road crossing where an ambulance was wating for him. Since they all only knew each others trail names, when the attendant asked for snot-rocket's name all dude knew was that. We all laughed about that later. It all turned out okay, thankfully.

Mountain Wildman
05-01-2010, 13:49
I agree that might be interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.
I, personally, like stories with a good ending. Like the mishap in '03 with a hiker named Snot-rocket! While hiking north on the AT out of Duncannon in July, he passed Dude and Very Small Animal who were doing a southbound slackpack. As they stopped to chat, Snot-rocket got bit by a wasp. Not knowing he was allergic, he proceeded to swell to the point that he couldn't talk. Dude called 911, helped Snot-rocket get to road crossing where an ambulance was wating for him. Since they all only knew each others trail names, when the attendant asked for snot-rocket's name all dude knew was that. We all laughed about that later. It all turned out okay, thankfully.

I concur!!
I prefer a happy ending.
I don't even like to watch a movie without a happy ending.

Mountain Wildman
05-01-2010, 13:51
A good man out of the good treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is good; and an evil man out of the evil treasure of his heart bringeth forth that which is evil: for of the abundance of the heart his mouth speaketh.

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 13:54

Thanks for sharing that story TrailAngelMary. I, too, like stories with good endings! I should've mentioned something about that in my original post.

Rain Man
05-01-2010, 14:00
I'm wondering if anyone knows of any deaths that happened on the AT. I know years ago there was a murder? (right?) But not just necessarily deaths by that means, any accidental falls? Some type of disease? Anything you've got, I'm interested in hearing. I'm curious.

SBS, it's a valid question. Don't let anyone jerk your chain with petty, uncalled for retorts. Ignore them. We get tons of repetitive questions on WB.

My wife and I used to do a lot of caving. There was (may still be) a very fine annual compendium of caving accidents each year. It really was educational to read and learn from others' misfortune, stupidity, and unforeseeable and unavoidable accidents. Same could apply to the AT.

One cautionary comment. The caving community reports accidents actually in caves. The AT community sometimes reports accidents (and deaths) that are NOT on the AT. Just make note of the difference is all. I don't think deaths off the AT should be reported as deaths on the AT.

Rain:sunMan

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 14:14
SBS, it's a valid question. Don't let anyone jerk your chain with petty, uncalled for retorts. Ignore them. We get tons of repetitive questions on WB.

My wife and I used to do a lot of caving. There was (may still be) a very fine annual compendium of caving accidents each year. It really was educational to read and learn from others' misfortune, stupidity, and unforeseeable and unavoidable accidents. Same could apply to the AT.

One cautionary comment. The caving community reports accidents actually in caves. The AT community sometimes reports accidents (and deaths) that are NOT on the AT. Just make note of the difference is all. I don't think deaths off the AT should be reported as deaths on the AT.

Rain:sunMan

Thanks Rain:sunMan. I understand that Emerald was more than likely referring to this thread as "repetitive thread." Since creating this thread I've looked over some of the similar threads. Though somethings are the same, there comments posted in this thread that were not in the others.

And I agree...deaths off the AT should not be reported as deaths on the AT.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2010, 15:01
I love books on the AT, and hiking in general, and personally I would absolutely read a book that accurately documents deaths on the AT or any other trails. Not for the "scare" factor - I don't even go to "scary" movies. It's just another facet, as horrible as it is, of the history of hiking.

emerald
05-01-2010, 15:25
I agree that might be an interesting read for some folks about the mishaps on the AT, Sidebackside & Tipi. Mountain Wildman, all your entries on your post are about murders & rapes, which may also be interesting to some folks.

Some people like controversy and will imagine it where there is little or none. In so far as such information contributes to useful knowledge and hiker safety, this thread could prove helpful. Were contributors to go into unnecessary detail about hikers now departed, it would be no better than the kind of journalism many of us despise. I don't judge threads by the number of hits generated. Let's try to be respectful as we broach this subject matter.

emerald
05-01-2010, 15:41
Ideas for topics which might discussed profitably can be found on ATC's website. Would some one link them? I should report to work now.

Shutterbug
05-01-2010, 15:44

Thanks

In 2006, I was exploring near the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I came upon this marker in the woods about 1/4 mile from the AT. At the time, I did an online search and learned that a young man died of natural causes at one of the shelters on the AT in the 100 Mile Wilderness. I can't quite make out Anthony's last name on the marker.

10-K
05-01-2010, 16:02
Another geographical location with a history of deaths that makes interesting reading is the Grand Canyon. Several books on the subject.

bulldog49
05-01-2010, 16:09
I agree Tipi. Thanks for the info!

Ditto. Emerald has set himself up as the board Nazi responsible for determining for the rest of us what we are allowed to discuss around here.

Gee, here's a thought Emerald, if you don't like the topic of a thread how about just ignoring it? Get over the uncontrolled compulsion to bitch about every topic you deem unworthy of your time, which by the way you seem to have ample of for pursuing this behavior.

TheCheek
05-01-2010, 16:39
2005 there was a thru hiker that was tragically hit by a train and died outside of Duncannon.

trailangelmary
05-01-2010, 16:52
2005 there was a thru hiker that was tragically hit by a train and died outside of Duncannon.

That was in Duncannon, but not on the trail. Near where the train tracks intersect with Cumberland St.

Jofish
05-01-2010, 17:49
Wow this is some interesting stuff. Despite being a bit squeamish, I would definitely read a book about deaths on the AT. Written well it could be a really good read. A map and a timeline would also be kinda neat.

Mrs Baggins
05-01-2010, 18:32
Wow this is some interesting stuff. Despite being a bit squeamish, I would definitely read a book about deaths on the AT. Written well it could be a really good read. A map and a timeline would also be kinda neat.

Absolutely. I agree. :D

Sleepy the Arab
05-01-2010, 19:27
Green Mountain Man passed in his sleep at Big Bald shelter in 1999.

And the unfortunately named Phoenix died in 2006 - I think at Mt. Collins Shelter.

adamkrz
05-01-2010, 19:49
I think a young lady died crossing the Kennebunc river in Maine and is the reason that a crossing guard with a canoe is now used.

RGB
05-01-2010, 20:46
Ideas for topics which might discussed profitably can be found on ATC's website. Would some one link them? I should report to work now.

Although hiking the AT is statistically safer than living in almost any city, deaths, either by murder or accident, do happen, and I think it is an important topic. Everyone planning to hike should know that it's a possibility, and it should not be dismissed as a "non-profitable" topic, as you have implied. History is doomed to repeat itself, and there is something to be gained from the stories of fellow hikers that have met their end on the trail.

Pagandaddy
05-01-2010, 21:23
I'm with you.
While working in Denali Park I happened upon a book about disasters on the Mountain (Denali). It was quite engrossing. I must say as frightening as some of the stories seemed it was nice learning how to avoid such mishaps. Definitely piqued my interest in going to high altitudes.

Pagandaddy
05-01-2010, 21:26
that last message was @ Tipi Walter. sorry

sidebackside
05-01-2010, 22:49
And the unfortunately named Phoenix died in 2006 - I think at Mt. Collins Shelter.

As in..Mt. Collins Shelter in the Smokies?

TheCheek
05-01-2010, 23:16
There were a couple women murdered at wapiti shelter like 10+ years ago.

Jester2000
05-02-2010, 02:16
Crash 1960 died of a heart attack on the trail in 2000 while hiking out of Kent, CT.

Rest in Peace, Crash.

bulldog49
05-02-2010, 13:07
As in..Mt. Collins Shelter in the Smokies?

Yes......................

Rain Man
05-02-2010, 13:48
There were a couple women murdered at wapiti shelter like 10+ years ago.

IIRC, that was a man and a woman, not two women. I read a book about it. Want to say "Murder on the Appalachian Trail" by Jess Carr. Pretty sure there's a thread on WB about it.

There were two sets of two women attacked in the Shenandoah National Park, but not on the AT.

Rain Man

moondoggie
05-02-2010, 18:50
I mean no disrepect to those (and their families) who have died on the AT, while doing something, obviously, that they loved, but what better way to go. My wife and I have discussed this, and we have agreed that if death happens while I thru hike, then it is far better than in a hospital or nursing home.
I'm just saying...my opinion:-?

sidebackside
05-02-2010, 20:27
...if death happens while I thru hike, then it is far better than in a hospital or nursing home.

I would agree you.

NorthCountryWoods
05-06-2010, 11:31
I'm with you.
While working in Denali Park I happened upon a book about disasters on the Mountain (Denali). It was quite engrossing. I must say as frightening as some of the stories seemed it was nice learning how to avoid such mishaps. Definitely piqued my interest in going to high altitudes.

Surviving Denali: a study of accidents on Mount McKinley, 1903-1990

By Jonathan Waterman

Excellent book. I've read all his books and they are a must read if you enjoy the mountains.

Nean
05-06-2010, 12:30
I think a young lady died crossing the Kennebunc river in Maine and is the reason that a crossing guard with a canoe is now used.

older woman...

Rain Man
05-06-2010, 14:38
I mean no disrepect to those (and their families) who have died on the AT, while doing something, obviously, that they loved, but what better way to go. My wife and I have discussed this, and we have agreed that if death happens while I thru hike, then it is far better than in a hospital or nursing home.

Well put.

Rain Man

general
05-06-2010, 15:22
there was a young lady shot by a hunter near blood mountain some years ago. i can't remember the exact year. she lived. he said that he thought that she was a deer.

bulldog49
05-07-2010, 12:14
there was a young lady shot by a hunter near blood mountain some years ago. i can't remember the exact year. she lived. he said that he thought that she was a deer.

Must of been the antlers that fooled him. :rolleyes:

sidebackside
05-09-2010, 22:31
http://www.knoxnews.com/news/2010/may/09/michigan-man-dies-backpacking-trip-smokies/?partner=RSS&utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

sidebackside
05-14-2010, 13:43
http://www.theoaklandpress.com/articles/2010/05/12/obituaries/1580490.txt

safn1949
05-14-2010, 14:53
Surviving Denali: a study of accidents on Mount McKinley, 1903-1990

By Jonathan Waterman

Excellent book. I've read all his books and they are a must read if you enjoy the mountains.

I was in Talkeetna,AK in 1990.This is the town where the climbers would stage from going up Denali at that time.At the Fairview Inn they had a map with different colored pins showing where people got to or where they had died.
They talked about 2 Italian climbers,cocky young men who knew it all and wouldn't listen to anyone.Froze to death in -100 F temps in their bags hooked to the side of the mountain.They are still there as far as I know,too dangerous to try and retrieve them.

So yes,there are lessons to be learned from these tragedies.

DapperD
05-14-2010, 19:53
I think a young lady died crossing the Kennebunc river in Maine and is the reason that a crossing guard with a canoe is now used.I believe this was mentioned in the AT documentary "2000 Miles to Maine". I also seem to remember reading or hearing about a somewhat older guy who died of heatstroke or something similar a few years back, I think possibly it was on the trail in PA.

weary
05-14-2010, 20:25
Wise folks as they approach their final years will always look for an easy way out. Those of us who have cared for multiple elders as they approach their final conscious moments, I suspect expecially will not turn away when faced with a choice of a few extra weeks, as opposed to leaving spouse, kids, grandkids, a bit of a legacy, while averting for themselves final weeks of pain and humiliation.

Weary

sidebackside
06-06-2010, 18:18
http://www.digtriad.com/news/local/article.aspx?storyid=143298&catid=57

Tinker
06-06-2010, 22:44
older woman...

Kennebec.:)

rambunny
06-07-2010, 08:00
Draw a 2000 mile line any where else in the U.S. and compare the statistics.

scooterdogma
06-07-2010, 08:24
I love books on the AT, and hiking in general, and personally I would absolutely read a book that accurately documents deaths on the AT or any other trails. Not for the "scare" factor - I don't even go to "scary" movies. It's just another facet, as horrible as it is, of the history of hiking.

I recommend EIGHT BULLETS by Claudia Brenner, an amazing true story of tragedy, survival and the hunt to bring a killer to justice.

SawnieRobertson
06-07-2010, 15:51
Draw a 2000 mile line any where else in the U.S. and compare the statistics.

Hey! That was a pretty good point you made there.--Kinnickinic

beakerman
06-07-2010, 16:59
This is an interesting topic however one poit was brought up...deaths on the trail verus not on the trail. It makes a big difference how you define on trail on not on trail. If you say only those that die either while physically on or as a result of an incident that occurred while physically on the trail then does that include white blaze only trail or the trail system? What about folks that die in trail towns or hostels that are slightly off the trail.

A cave is a very clearly defined event horizon...you enter it and are in it until you cross out of it...there is no real ambiguity of being in or out. Whereas the trail with its associated towns and spur trails and such is more nebulous.

I don't have the answer but it could be an interesting discussion to see what folks consider on and off trail.

sidebackside
06-07-2010, 23:04
...it could be an interesting discussion to see what folks consider on and off trail.

I don't have the answer either beakerman, but I definitely agree with you.

Rain Man
06-08-2010, 20:36
I don't have the answer but it could be an interesting discussion to see what folks consider on and off trail.

And it's not just a geographic consideration. I also consider whether the victim was hiking the AT itself, or only a side trail that happened to be near the AT, such as the deaths in the Shenandoah National Park.

That is (to me at least), if a hiker is hiking the AT and goes half a mile off the AT to a shelter, or to camp, or to get water, then I'm more likely to consider it a "death on the AT." On the other hand, if someone happens to be in the SNP, or in the GSMNP, or wherever, within that same distance and dies somehow, but maybe never set foot on the AT itself, then I'm less likely to consider that to be a "death on the AT." Maybe that's just me. YMMV.

I don't think there's an answer.

Rain Man