PDA

View Full Version : Hi-Tec Tioga 65 Pack question

swash
05-01-2010, 11:44
I'm looking to buy my first pack. I'm planning on doing a hiking/camping trip with a friend up in the UP over the summer. I was looking on the REI-Outlet store and came across the Hi-Tec Tioga 65 and it looks awesome for the price. Does anyone have experience with this pack? Also, how does the 65 liter size compare to the packs you thru-hikers use? Thanks.

http://www.rei.com/product/806518

Maddog
05-01-2010, 12:09
its definitely a good price, but its kinda heavy...im currently using a ula catalyst on my thru-hike...best pack ive ever had and only 3lbs! maddog

swash
05-02-2010, 15:49
Thanks for the info. The weight is a little much but this pack will mainly be used for couple day trips only, so I won't need as much gear.

I ordered this pack yesterday, should be here May 10! I might review after doing some field testing.

Maddog
05-02-2010, 15:57
good luck and enjoy your hike!

Feral Bill
05-02-2010, 20:49
If you find you do not like it, return to REI. Do not live with a pack that does not fit.

swash
05-03-2010, 16:32
Definitely. My torso length is actually the bare minimum, but I opted for this one instead of the odyssey (twin but 1" less torso minimum) because the Tioga had added airflow and padding. I'll have to load it up and keep it on my back for a while to see if it is comfortable

danahyatt
06-26-2010, 22:06
I purchased the Tioga for my trip to Maui. There I planned to hike a bit but it didn't work out for the overnighter. The pack loaded easy. But better than that it was only $50 thru Big 5 discount sports in California. I usually travel lite and this pack has room for a week of food and then the essentials. The size fits a 6'1 frame, about xl or 30", comfortable. Also a place for a Camel Back inside. Everything inside can be accessed through a large zipped flap. It has ripstop canvas but only comes in orange. It should be rugged enough for part of the AT. It seems to weigh less than 5 lbs.