PDA

View Full Version : Pfaff Serger question

Loneoak
05-01-2010, 13:37
I ran across a Hobbylock 783 today at a yardsale, I hope it is a decent sewing machine and able to sew things that are used for backpacking: tents, hammocks etc...
Price seemed cheap to me, but I know absolutely nothing about them.

Anyone here own one by chance?

thanks

Lellers
05-01-2010, 13:42
While I don't have that particular serger, I do have a Pfaff sewing machine and a Viking Husqvarna serger. They are both excellent machines, and I love the Pfaff machine in particular. Very good machines.

HeartFire
05-01-2010, 15:17
The Hobbylock 783 is a 3 thread serger. It will be good for finishing edges that will have a tendency to ravel, but it doesn't have a safety stitch on it so it will not sew a tight seam. You need a lock stitch sewing machine.

sbhikes
05-01-2010, 19:49
I bought a Pfaff from an estate sale a couple of weeks ago, too. Not a serger, though. Just a sewing machine from the late 1950s or early 1960s. It had been serviced in the last year. $35. Great machine. Pfaff makes excellent sewing machines. German engineering.

Rocket Jones
05-01-2010, 20:20
Pfaff are great machines, but a serger is not the same as a sewing machine. There may be some overlap in what they can do but they're not interchangable.