PDA

View Full Version : Hot summer weather and the need for caution.

johnnybgood
05-02-2010, 00:53
With the temperatures soaring to 90 degrees and higher , the need to stay hydrated and limit sun exposure to a minimum during the hours of 11>4 are crucial .
Wear a head cover with a brim if you have sensitive skin, elderly or just feel the need to shield the sun from your head. For the folliclly challenged ,like myself, a bandanna or hat is a must. Sunscreen also is recommended when outdoors in the sun for long periods of time. Ditto for sunglasses.

Drinking water even before you get thirsty during hot weather is recommended when hiking or periods of exertion so as to keep the core body temps. regulated .

For those people that have medical conditions such as diabetes , COPD , or asthma keep medications /devices on you for quick access and take it slow during high heat hours of the day.

*** The American Red Cross will also have more tips on their website.

+ If the Mods want to move this to Health&Safety, please do.

fiddlehead
05-02-2010, 01:13
I live in the tropics.
I take note of what the constructions workers, landscape workers, fishermen wear when it's 100+ outside.
Most ALL of them cover up as much as they can. From head to toe.
A wide straw hat (provides ventilation as well as sun protection) is the norm also.

I agree with a need to protect yourself (especially lightskinned people) although I don't think sunglasses are needed on the AT. (perhaps SOBO'ers if they have sensitive eyes)

Just my 2 cents.

Kerosene
05-02-2010, 09:46
The only time I've found a need for sunglasses on the AT is when the trees do not have their leaves or if you're walking above treeline or along the balds for 3+ miles at a stretch. Of course, the sun has to be shining also. :rolleyes::sun

I leave them at home otherwise, because I'm always afraid of misplacing my expensive prescription sunglasses.

garlic08
05-02-2010, 09:57
I agree with all the wisdom above. I live in the desert and the people who work out here for a living always wear long sleeves, long trousers, and a wide-brimmed hat.

The only time I carry sunglasses, if I'm not on snowfields, is if I'm going to be near roads or towns and the reflection off metal and glass gets annoying. I didn't need them on the AT.

Also pay attention to salt intake. I met an old desert rat out here who told a story how he almost died one summer from hyponatremia. The last thing he noticed before he awoke from the coma was that his sweat was really slick--no more salt in his body.

sbhikes
05-02-2010, 10:04
Wearing long sleeves is actually cooler when it's hot, at least in dry climates, because your sweat gets into the shirt and when the wind blows you not only have moist skin to evaporate but a cold shirt to cool you off. Also, a shirt doesn't clog your pores like sunblock.

Hoop Time
05-02-2010, 10:22
Wise advice. Went out yesterday from Route 225 atop Peters Mountain to Duncannon, figuring I'd take a little walk to negate the calories I planned to consume at the Doyle. Finished off my water on the way down the side of the mountain to the trailhead at the railroad tracks by 322. Thought about getting some water from a small spring I hit on the way down, but figured I didn't have that much more to go and didn't feel like taking time to fill a bottle and treat it, so kept going. Regretted that decision about halfway across the Clarks Ferry Bridge. Once out of the green tunnel and in the bright, direct sunlight, it seemed to be 20 degrees hotter. By the time I got to the Doyle, I ended up drinking three pint glasses of water before I had a beer.

modiyooch
05-02-2010, 17:42
I cannot wear long pants or short sleeves in 90 degree temps. I do stay hydrated well and cool off in every water spot I find. I do not bring sunglasses, too much weight.

Mariano
05-02-2010, 18:07
i work in construction, commercial concrete, so i'm always outside.
i agree with the fact that a hat is necessary in summer and of course keeping yourself hydrated.. but i can't wear long pants or sleeves in high temperatures. if you can't take the heat there's no reason to put yourself in a risky situation... i've seen people faint because of dehydration and heat strokes.
take it from someone who spends A LOT of time in the summer sun.
- DO NOT get your clothes wet...the water will evaporate making you feel miserably hot
- every chance you get.. get your wrists and your neck wet.. that would make you feel cooler the instant you do it.
- drink lot's of liquids, and foods containing water
- avoid sunscreen...it doesn't let you pores breathe ( i can't stand it)

johnnybgood
05-02-2010, 18:26
I do bring sunglasses with UV protection , nothing fancy or expensive mind you, as precautionary "gear" for my eyes on bright sunny days .

I also found that the wrap around sunglasses keep the knats from getting in my eyes.

Not sure why the worry over weight , I mean seriously we're talking grams , not ounces. I've seen thru-hikers carry a full deck of cards , I-phones and all kinds of unneccessary stuff... even croquet mallets. I doubt that a pair of sunglasses is the 1 thing that's gonna blow your pack weight to smithereens.

modiyooch
05-02-2010, 18:31
Not sure why the worry over weight , I mean seriously we're talking grams , not ounces. I've seen thru-hikers carry a full deck of cards , I-phones and all kinds of unneccessary stuff... even croquet mallets. I doubt that a pair of sunglasses is the 1 thing that's gonna blow your pack weight to smithereens.all those grams add up. I drive my local supply store nuts.

johnnybgood
05-02-2010, 19:03
all those grams add up. I drive my local supply store nuts.
I bet you do.:D I also forgot to mention that I also wear sunglasses because they make me look soooo cool.:cool:

I feel like a nascar driver being interviewed :rolleyes:. Have you ever noticed that even when its raining , they're still wearing their Ray-Bans.:confused:

Jonnycat
05-02-2010, 19:48
The cardinal rule to hot weather activity is that you MUST acclimate yourself to working in hotter temperatures. This can take upwards of a week or two for some individuals, and there is no shortcut to the process.

garlic08
05-02-2010, 19:54
- DO NOT get your clothes wet...the water will evaporate making you feel miserably hot

My first thought was that this was totally wrong, but then I saw that you're from Jersey and you have to deal with major humidity! I think I know what you mean--when I was hiking the AT on hot humid days, my clothes would get soaked down to my knees in sweat and it wasn't refreshing because it wasn't evaporating like it does in the drier climate out West here. Same reason swamp coolers work in dry desert air, but you'd never think of using one on the East Coast. Imagine blowing more warm humidity into your house in the summer.

Anyway, out West here, wet clothes feel wonderfully cool, but only stay that way for about 15 minutes.

Mrs Baggins
05-02-2010, 19:56
My polarized Ray Bans go with me every time I leave the house....every time. Not wearing sunglasses can = cataracts and other eye problems. I keep them on a neck strap so that I never take them off during the day, just drop them down around my neck or prop them up on my baseball cap visor. I've worn sunglasses since I was a teen (grew up in CA) and at 54 I only have to wear drug store reading glasses, no prescrips.

I don't wear sunscreen. Not only does it burn my skin and my eyes (when I sweat and runs down into my eyes from my face), every person I know that worshiped at the altar of sunscreen got skin cancer anyway. All those I know who didn't bother...no problems. I realize that does not go for everyone with every skin type but so far that's how it's working out for the people I know. If the sunscreen is already in any makeup or moisturizer I might use (but never when I'm backpacking) then that's fine. But I don't buy sunscreen lotions.

Water...all I can possibly carry and refill often. We were hiking in Moab UT at Arches National Park in July 2007. It was 109 degrees when we were on our way down the big slick rock formation, in the full open sunshine and heat, to the parking lot, around 2 pm, and there were still people coming up. I lost count of the number of them carrying NO water - all ages. In that kind of heat (and I've lived in AZ for 3 years near Phoenix) I will shower, in cold water, 2 - 3 times a day. Just a quick jump in and rinse off cools down the body. Same in hot, humid weather. After the Arches hike I did just that at the campground showers. During a 3 day stay in Death Valley in late June, same thing. Allowing my hair to stay wet, rather than blow dry it, kept me cooler longer, too.

Blissful
05-02-2010, 20:17
I make sure whenever I can to eat a banana - helps with leg cramps, etc

sasquatch2014
05-02-2010, 20:46
My first thought was that this was totally wrong, but then I saw that you're from Jersey and you have to deal with major humidity! I think I know what you mean--when I was hiking the AT on hot humid days, my clothes would get soaked down to my knees in sweat and it wasn't refreshing because it wasn't evaporating like it does in the drier climate out West here. Same reason swamp coolers work in dry desert air, but you'd never think of using one on the East Coast. Imagine blowing more warm humidity into your house in the summer.

Anyway, out West here, wet clothes feel wonderfully cool, but only stay that way for about 15 minutes.

I was think that one of those old style canvas canteens that you get the outside wet and the evaporation cools the water inside so it is always nice and cool would be awesome but often in the sumer back her the humidly is so high it would almost have no effect. Same reason why hanging your wet clothes in a the shelter often does little to get them dry.

Slo-go'en
05-02-2010, 20:58
It went from way too cold to way too hot way too quick around here - as usual. 80 degrees in the Whites today. I hiked a ways up the side of Mt Madison today and got up into the snow which is still lingering - lots of it in some places and it was nice and cool, but really mucky up there. Lower down on the Valley way trail, the Cold Brook was ragging with all the snow melt from the foot+ of snow a week ago and the exceptionally warm temps these last 2 days.

Back on topic, when its hot out I often wrap my water bottle with my shammie wash cloth soaked in water and it does help to keep the water in the bottle cool(ish). And if I come across a cold steam, I'll take a cold rock out of the water and put it on my wrists and neck - that feels real good!

I will be heading down to the Smokies in about a week to hike north to VA and I suspect it will be pretty toasty on the trail this trip.

DapperD
05-02-2010, 22:19
Not sure if anyone mentioned it, but also it is wise to avoid any super fat-laden meals when being/working out in the hot heat/sun. The extra fat causes the need for more fluids in order to digest them, which can cause the body to become dehydrated faster. And I think everyone knows the need to also avoid drinking alcohol.

Feral Bill
05-02-2010, 22:32
In a dry climate, soaking your hat does wonders, or, better yet, packing it with snow if there is some around. Back east, sweat and drink.