PDA

View Full Version : North of the Smokies

Bootleg
05-02-2010, 09:44
Myself and a couple friends are considering a week long trip on the AT. We are thinking about starting at the Ranger Station on near I-40 just outside of the Smokies. We are planning a hike in and out the same piece of trail so 3 or so days in and then back out. Are there any towns we can refit in along the way and are the shelters in the area in decent condition. Thanks in advance for your help, and stay safe.

Bootleg

Rcarver
05-02-2010, 10:01
Depends on how far you plan on hiking in those three days. Hot Springs is 34 miles from I-40. You could hike to Hot Springs then hike back to I-40. There are four shelters in that stretch. They are all in pretty good shape. I just did that section over Easter weekend.

Father Dragon
05-02-2010, 10:18
Hot Springs is about 3 days (+/- depending on your ability) from I40 going north. The shelters are in good condition except for perhaps Walnut Mtn. Hot springs has all the services a hiker could really ask for. Be careful with your food in this section as bears have been a problem in the past... and there was a recent report of theft (or perhaps a misunderstanding of food being abandoned) at walnut mountain. It's a nice section and Max Patch (between groundhog and roaring creek shelters) is absolutely awesome.

Cabin Fever
05-02-2010, 12:58
I hiked this section in the last couple of days. Worth doing once, but not twice because of the climbing. North out of I-40 and south out of Hot Springs are butt kickers. Arrange for a shuttle and keep going.

Chaco Taco
05-02-2010, 19:38
Start at Max Patch and hike north. The section between HS and Erwin is pretty awesome.

Chaco Taco
05-02-2010, 19:40
Walnet Mtn is a hot spot for bears, just avoid it. Bears in general this time of year are an issue, just be smart

double j
05-02-2010, 21:20
awww yeah snowbird mt you will love it

ChinMusic
05-02-2010, 21:33
Hot Springs would be a good target. But, if you find yourself at night 3 and are short, just turn around there.