PDA

View Full Version : The Misery of Road Walking

SawnieRobertson
05-02-2010, 09:51
This guy has got to be a masochist of huge dimension. I like his remarks about foster youth though. Maybe he deserves better, like walking on a beautiful trail. Lion King might be able to persuade him. Geez, it made me cringe, just reading this article:

http://www.theboot.com/2010/04/29/jimmy-wayne-meet-me-halfway-walk/?icid=main|main|dl5|link5|http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theboot .com%2F2010%2F04%2F29%2Fjimmy-wayne-meet-me-halfway-walk%2F.

Kinnickinic

sbhikes
05-02-2010, 18:55
Sounds like he's having a great adventure to me.

The_Saint
05-02-2010, 19:50
Sounds like a good thing, but I agree, road walking is brutal on the shins and feet.

Wise Old Owl
05-02-2010, 20:13
Sorry-he's nuts... "Spiderman"?

fiddlehead
05-02-2010, 21:19
Different strokes for different folks aye?
Makes you wonder if he ever heard of the AT or just would prefer road walks?

Lyle
05-02-2010, 22:57
Long distance road walking has it's own very interesting and fulfilling advantages. It is different than trail walking in many regards, but also very similar. As in hiking in general, if you stay flexible, and open to what the way presents, you can reap tremendous rewards.

You think you meet a lot of local folks on the AT? You think trail magic is exclusive to long-distance trails? Think there aren't fantastic sights and experiences in walking this countries back roads and two lane highways? Well if you do, you would be wrong on all counts.

The people of this country are fantastic, and open and caring. And they will go out of their way to be a part of your adventure, even more so when they don't see hikers every day for months at a time.

Guess what I'm saying is don't knock it until you try it. Read Peter Jenkin's books if you don't believe me, especially the first two.

Skyline
05-02-2010, 23:30
Long distance road walking has it's own very interesting and fulfilling advantages. It is different than trail walking in many regards, but also very similar. As in hiking in general, if you stay flexible, and open to what the way presents, you can reap tremendous rewards.

You think you meet a lot of local folks on the AT? You think trail magic is exclusive to long-distance trails? Think there aren't fantastic sights and experiences in walking this countries back roads and two lane highways? Well if you do, you would be wrong on all counts.

The people of this country are fantastic, and open and caring. And they will go out of their way to be a part of your adventure, even more so when they don't see hikers every day for months at a time.

Guess what I'm saying is don't knock it until you try it. Read Peter Jenkin's books if you don't believe me, especially the first two.

Also read some of Lion King's American Discovery Trail experiences on Trailjournals. LOTS of roadwalking, many varied experiences involving locals. Some similar to the AT, some not.

DapperD
05-03-2010, 10:25
Here's a man who is also on a mission:http://www2.wsav.com/sav/news/local/article/dads_death_inspires_man_to_walk_across_america/10546/

sbhikes
05-03-2010, 19:19

Yeah, I went to a talk recently about a guy who rides his bicycle all over the world. He started as a high school kid riding his bike across the US. He told us stories of incredible generosity and "trail magic" from this trip. It sounded just like hiking the trail, except without the expectation that there'd be so much trail magic.

Graywolf
05-03-2010, 19:52
Here's a man who is also on a mission:http://www2.wsav.com/sav/news/local/article/dads_death_inspires_man_to_walk_across_america/10546/

I enjoyed this article..It talked alot about his reason to hike and not himself..The OP article, to me was self-centered..And he isn't walking or carrying his own pack. He has a shuttle driver that carries his stuff for him..

This one is all about the journey, and thats good reading..

Graywolf

JAK
05-04-2010, 00:39
Within our city we have alot of parks, one very large one only 2 miles away with lots of trails, but my wife still prefers to do all her walking on our more urban paths and along city streets and residential neighbourhoods. I like to go with her. There is a really a continuum from one world to the other. Its all connected and hopefully as we add more trails and make or towns and cities greener, it will become increasingly seamless, and our everyday lives will not be so disconnected from our hiking lives either.

Lion King
05-04-2010, 09:38
$350 a day?!!!!???!??!

HAHAHAHHHAAHHAAH!

Oh man...less then 6 months, with a car and a driver and $350 a day...are you kidding me?