PDA

View Full Version : Fabric choices on a down jacket/vest

chris
10-22-2004, 18:15
As I'm not leaving the country for Christmas, I've got a little cash sitting around and thought I might replace my well battered MEC Northern Lite II pullover with a new insulating piece made out of down. I'm thinking of either a jacket or vest from Feathered Friends or Western Mountaineering. The FF people have several choices for shells, including regular nylon, pertex quantum, eVent, and Epic. I know only vague generalities about these things. Given that the insulating piece would be worn in camp, while long distance hiking during the summer time, I'm hard pressed to think of why I might need a super water resistant shell for my primary insulation. However, someone might be able to illuminate me. For winter backpacking, I've got a big gun down jacket (2.5 lbs, eek!) with a microfiber shell on it.

By the way, on the FF Jacket, Epic and Quantum are $175 while eVent is $195. Nylon might not be available at the moment, but judging by the relative costs of other garments, I would expect Nylon to come in around $150.

tlbj6142
10-22-2004, 21:49
eVent is waterproof and the most breathable WP fabric on the market. It blows away anything from Gore. Epic is almost waterproof, I think there are a few bivies or winter shelters (from bibler?) made from the stuff.

Pertex Quantum is suppose to be a tad more water resistent than ripstop.

Since you'll have a hard shell over the jacket in case of rain, I see no reason to go with eVent or Epic. Its a toss up between Quantuum and Ripstop.

I have both a ripstop and a Quantuum windshirt. The Quantumm stuff feels better next to exposed skin (it doesn't "stick" or "cling" as much as ripstop). Otherwise, I think they behave about the same. You probably have Quantum in your WM bag, correct? I know they recently switch to using it in their lightweight series of bags.

Singletrack
10-23-2004, 08:38
Check out the Montbell UL Inner Jacket and Vest. Both with 725 down. My medium jacket weighs 7.7 oz. Both on sale at prolitegear.com $102.00

tlbj6142
10-23-2004, 09:24
I own a Montbell UL Inner Jacket. Its nice. But the FF and WM jackets look twice as warm.

Singletrack
10-23-2004, 12:38
Your right, I am sure the WM and FF are alot warmer, but the Montbell would fit his needs to be worn in camp during summer long distance hikes, IMO. Prolite no longer has the "on sale", but at regular price now. $129

tlbj6142
10-23-2004, 14:36
According to ads in a recent bp'er, the Montbell liners (both down and synthetic) have undergone a weight reduction.

If you look around, you might be able to find last year's model on sale.

steve hiker
10-23-2004, 14:49
Looking at the WM Flight Jacket and FF Hyperion Jacket --

WM: 10.5 oz. total weight, unspecified down fill weight
FF: 11 oz. total weight, 5 oz. down fill weight

WM: 850 fill down
FF: Unspecified –800 fill (upgrade to 800 fill available)

WM: Tafetta shell
FF: Various shells

WM: $200
FF: $175-$195

Both have draft protected zippers

Both have insulated front pockets

Anyone know of a side-by-side comparison on the web? WM generally has a better reputation, so I’m leaning to the Flight Jacket. And you can get it for $175 if you browse around the web.

DavidR
11-03-2004, 22:39
If I had a choice it would be the Quantum. Fairly water resistant and light.