PDA

View Full Version : Thru-Hike Traditions

Graywolf
05-02-2010, 14:45
years ago, I read that hiker would get a small pebble or rock and carry it with them to Katahdin..Is this still a tradition?? I havn't heard much about it lately.So, what are the new traditions, if any??

Graywolf

Dogwood
05-02-2010, 15:41
The tradition is, for the ones you know well, or strongly despise, is to secretly slip a HEAVY object like a rock or railroad spike into the hiker's backpack with the lowest wt. in your group. When finding the extra wt in your pack you discretely slip it into another's pack.

Best thru-hiking tradition that I can think of is to realize you are an ambassador of the hiking community. Act like it. Be aware that what you do effects others. Live the tradition of making the places you visit somehow just a little better off.

Blissful
05-02-2010, 16:17
I carried the pebble.

wcgornto
05-02-2010, 16:23
I carried the pebble.

I didn't carry a pebble since I went SOBO. I didn't want to undo somebody else's hard work ... possibly yours.

David@whiteblaze
05-02-2010, 16:25
so is this pebble carried from the approach trail? r the road on the N. side of springer? or the top of Springer? And what happens if you're like me and you start on a beach somewhere? just gotta find one?

sasquatch2014
05-02-2010, 16:59
so is this pebble carried from the approach trail? r the road on the N. side of springer? or the top of Springer? And what happens if you're like me and you start on a beach somewhere? just gotta find one?

You must collect enough sand grains that when carefully glued together over the course of your hike they will resemble a pebble when left. Please make sure it is a non toxic glue possibly even a paste that will be vegan friendly.:D

10-K
05-02-2010, 17:44

You can order ultra-light pebbles online now.

Rocket Jones
05-02-2010, 18:33

I looked at those, but couldn't see spending that much money for a titanium rock.

Sniddle
05-02-2010, 18:43

Are you serious???

stranger
05-02-2010, 23:08
OK...this is old school, circa 1995 ish.

Wait until a good hiking friend goes to the privy, quickly gather up all hikers in the area and distribute small rocks to each person.

Wait until the person in the privy is "committed", I recommend 45-90 seconds or so.

Then on the count of 3, all parties throw rocks at the privy from close range, it's good fun!

Windcatcher
05-03-2010, 12:47
Traditions, the pebble from Springer to Katahdin.....

Summer Solstice is Nude Hiking Day
1/2 Gallon of ice cream at the half way point, Pine Grove Furnace
Stopping at the ATC
Stopping at the historical sites; Washington Monument, the Old General, Mountain Momma's, Trail Days

Plus the age old tradition of simply being outside, enjoying the spirit of the trail!

Elder
05-03-2010, 13:05
I found a 1.5-2" granite round rock, looks similar to Katadin Granite.
It was sitting on a log at a campsite North of Neels Gap near Leveland.
It is crudely carved to look like "Wilson"....the soccor ball?
I always wondered if a SOBO lost it/left it on that log.
It has a place among the history at Mountain Crossings.

Miner
05-03-2010, 13:08
If you must carry a rock from Springer, do us a favor and don't leave it in Penn when you either decide to get off the trail or lighten your pack. There are already far too many left there already.

Nean
05-03-2010, 15:35
Traditions, the pebble from Springer to Katahdin.....

Summer Solstice is Nude Hiking Day
1/2 Gallon of ice cream at the half way point, Pine Grove Furnace
Stopping at the ATC
Stopping at the historical sites; Washington Monument, the Old General, Mountain Momma's, Trail Days

Plus the age old tradition of simply being outside, enjoying the spirit of the trail!

:confused: No more da kine Mountain Mommas.

Besides, Standing Bear is mo beta like dat ;)

Windcatcher
05-03-2010, 19:01
And don't forget the Maryland Challenge.....

Mountain Momma's is closed? Bummer...

sbhikes
05-03-2010, 19:17
I carried a Canadian flag to Canada. But I took it home. I wish I'd taken a rock from Canada home with me.

Graywolf
05-03-2010, 20:14
Best thru-hiking tradition that I can think of is to realize you are an ambassador of the hiking community. Act like it. Be aware that what you do effects others. Live the tradition of making the places you visit somehow just a little better off.

This is the best tradition we can all benefit from..Thanks..

Graywolf

fredmugs
05-04-2010, 08:47
Beards and stinking.

Spokes
05-04-2010, 08:59
I adapted an old cyclist tradition and tossed some red rotini noodles atop Mt. Katahdin signifying the end of the journey. YEEHAW!!!!!

Jeff
05-04-2010, 09:13

Great point Dogwood !!!

Plenty of hikers do indeed have this attitude...a few rotten apples sure do mess things up.

Mountain Goat
05-04-2010, 09:19
I adapted an old cyclist tradition and tossed some red rotini noodles atop Mt. Katahdin signifying the end of the journey. YEEHAW!!!!!

What happened to "Leave no trace"?

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2010, 09:28
What happened to "Leave no trace"?
Don't forget to use the smilies:):sun;):D:welcome

amac
05-04-2010, 13:29
And don't forget the Maryland Challenge...

Is that the one where you start in VA at 1 min past midnight and then hike to PA in less than a 24-hour period, resulting in having hiked in 4 different states in one day?

Slo-go'en
05-04-2010, 13:38
If you must carry a rock from Springer, do us a favor and don't leave it in Penn when you either decide to get off the trail or lighten your pack. There are already far too many left there already.

Maybe everyone should wait until they get to PA before picking up a rock to carry :-? Then carry it as far as the DWG and toss it into the river - no sense carrying it too far :D

David@whiteblaze
05-04-2010, 23:50
Is that the one where you start in VA at 1 min past midnight and then hike to PA in less than a 24-hour period, resulting in having hiked in 4 different states in one day?
that's the four/quad-state challenge, and that's a "challenge" not a tradition... (tradition is something done for fun, like purism, sorta... but a challeng is a challenge and afterwards you receive something... bragging rights usually...)

tawa
06-30-2013, 17:45
Remember talking with three thru hikers that in keeping with some tradition---hiked 24 miles--in 24 hrs--while drinking 24 beers! Yes they were slack packing! Said its a longing standing tradition with the younger hikers!

Datto
07-02-2013, 16:08
There's a tradition of jumping up and down at McAfee Knob in Virginia. Here, several AT thru-hiker's from Year 2000 test their courage and sense:

Datto

rocketsocks
07-02-2013, 16:15
carrying a watermelon up the approach trail to springer and sharing is not a bad way to start.

Datto
07-02-2013, 16:16
Forgot to mention -- at McAfee Knob in Virginia there's a tradition of hanging off the bottom and drinking beer at the picnic table. You don't have to hump the beer up there though, the Knob Concierge and Knob Hostess who have it on tap and cold waiting for hikers when they arrive:

Datto

rocketsocks
07-02-2013, 16:28
Forgot to mention -- at McAfee Knob in Virginia there's a tradition of hanging off the bottom and drinking beer at the picnic table. You don't have to hump the beer up there though, the Knob Concierge and Knob Hostess who have it on tap and cold waiting for hikers when they arrive:

DattoNow that's a dumb waiter!

one need only look below the knob to understand the forces of gravity and the erosional processes.

illabelle
07-02-2013, 16:35
There's a tradition of jumping up and down at McAfee Knob in Virginia. Here, several AT thru-hiker's from Year 2000 test their courage and sense:

Datto

I really really hope that's photo-shopped!

Datto
07-02-2013, 17:06
Now that's a dumb waiter!

The Knob Hostess didn't have any mints on my pillow that night if you can believe it. I had to call the ATC and let them know.

Datto

Datto
07-02-2013, 18:09
I had to call the ATC and let them know.

A few days before McAfee Knob I had gone up and over Dragon's Tooth. Coming down on the north side of Dragon's Tooth on the rebar rungs embedded into the rock wall, I'd thought this can't be right. So I called OSHA just to let them know. The friendly guy who answered the telephone at OSHA said I was the first person to report the problem. He told me that it's whispered soon that if we all call the tune, then a piper will lead us to reason.

Well, I couldn't figure out what to make of that conversation. You know, sometimes words have two meanings and all.

I'd forgotten all about it -- about the conversation -- for the longest time.

Boy, did that guy at OSHA get an earful after Palmerton! I called him back up and he told me there were two paths I could go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on.

I didn't know what to make of that conversation neither. But it made me wonder.

Datto

A.T.Lt
07-02-2013, 21:39
A few days before McAfee Knob I had gone up and over Dragon's Tooth. Coming down on the north side of Dragon's Tooth on the rebar rungs embedded into the rock wall, I'd thought this can't be right. So I called OSHA just to let them know. The friendly guy who answered the telephone at OSHA said I was the first person to report the problem. He told me that it's whispered soon that if we all call the tune, then a piper will lead us to reason.

Well, I couldn't figure out what to make of that conversation. You know, sometimes words have two meanings and all.

I'd forgotten all about it -- about the conversation -- for the longest time.

Boy, did that guy at OSHA get an earful after Palmerton! I called him back up and he told me there were two paths I could go by, but in the long run there's still time to change the road you're on.

I didn't know what to make of that conversation neither. But it made me wonder.

Datto

Hmmm.....you got my head humming and it wont go!!
....in case you dont know

Sarcasm the elf
07-02-2013, 21:53
Remember talking with three thru hikers that in keeping with some tradition---hiked 24 miles--in 24 hrs--while drinking 24 beers! Yes they were slack packing! Said its a longing standing tradition with the younger hikers!

I believe that you are referring to the Duncannon 24, not really my thing, but sounds like it could be fun for the right people...

http://theduncannon24.blogspot.com/

Date: tentatively November 6, 2010

Objective: Hikers trek to The Doyle Hotel in Duncannon PA, on November 6 from Boiling Springs PA (on the Appalachian Trail). Hikers will be expected to carry 24 beers in their pack, and the 24 miles over a 24 hour period.

Potential benefits: beside excercise, anytime you drink too much between now and then, you can simply rationalize it as "training for the Duncannon 24!"
Rules: this is not Bowling, it's hiking. There are no rules.
One is only required to carry the 24 beers, not consume all of them, unless they want to.

Sanctioning Body: no right minded organization would align themselves with this endeavor

Objectives and rulesThe objectives and rules:

-One must leave Boling Springs Pa on April 16 with a case of beer in tow.
-one must return to the Doyle hotel
In Duncannon Pa within a days time with 24empty cans.
- if you choose to finish quickly and get to The Doyle early (before you finish )
Then u must hand a beerfromyour pack to Vicki with each one you order from the Doyle.
- i will try to trail behind got hiker/drinker safety
- there will be prizes.
The route is 24 miles in length or 26, can't nail that down.
Only the worst hiker trash need to investigate this endeavor.

Datto
07-02-2013, 22:27
One is only required to carry the 24 beers, not consume all of them

Baslysfemy! Over maa..my bed daughty.

Sanctioning Body:

I would take a shaa..shshankshaning body over a teapeeper any day.

Foster Brooks

Migrating Bird
07-03-2013, 16:16
Are you serious???

I believe 10K is right, it may be on the Golite website, it is a 15 gram pebble which only weighs 5 grams due to dehydration must only add powdered water and it costs $$$, rumor has it new models to be released next year will be contain cuben fiber but price will be extremely heavy.

Rasty
07-03-2013, 16:28

Would that be sand?

Datto
07-04-2013, 15:29
Hmmm.....you got my head humming and it wont go!!
....in case you dont know

I hadn't called the guy at OSHA all the way through New Hampshire but I probably should have for the safety of the people coming after me. I just didn't want to be known as a complainer at OSHA. You know, they won't listen up if you keep calling them like that.

HOWEVER...

When I got to this place called Mahoosuc Notch, Geez! The place is just outright dangerous. Sometimes I would get turned around and couldn't fine my way north. Had to sit inside a boulder bridge to get out of the driving rain to figure it all out. A southbounder approached me headed north. Wow you would not believe the mouth on that guy when he did his own figuring out. His mother would have been ashamed I tell you, ashamed.

So while I'm in this cave of a boulder bridge I called that dang

Datto
07-04-2013, 16:00
...I called that dang OSHA guy again. I'd thought, man alive, is the entire state of Maine going to be like this?? I'll never make it to Katahdin. How do people get through these boulders? It's completely unsafe. Someone should do something about this and get this trail fixed up.

You know what the OSHA guy asked me when I got him on the telephone? He asked me what I was wearing. What kind of question is that? He as giggling and all too. Anyhow, I told him I was wearing black hiking pants with the zipper ripped out of the front, barn door had been open for miles. No use worrying out it -- nothing but southbounders out here anyhow.

So he says, the OSHA guy mind you says, "Ask me what I'm wearing."

What?? Now I'm a get along kinda guy so I didn't want to make any waves, those guys at OSHA being powerful and all. So I asked him, "What are you wearing?"

You know what he told me? He told me he was wearing a white wig.

Huh. A wig. What is that supposed to mean? Is he wearing the wig for me or is there some kind of taxpayer sponsored party going on at the OSHA headquarters. Someone in the background saying it's a groovy party. I didn't know OSHA people did that kind of thing.

Anyhow, the OSHA guy went on to tell me the mountain is high and the valley is low. And I'm confused on which way to go. He's coming here to give me a hand and to lead me into the Promised Land.

Didn't know what to make of that neither. Is he going to arrive wearing that wig? I mean, I'd bet Caratunk hasn't ever before seen two guys walking in with a wig and a wide-opened barn door asking about the Post Office.

Anyhow, I figured I'd git it a shot and ask him if I was going to make it to Katahdin.

He told me I gotta do better. It's time to begin. I should know all the answers must come from within.

He's right. No use waiting around for him to get to Maine. You know what I did? I got up from my spot out of the rain, the dry spot underneath that boulder bridge, and started hiking north again in the driving rain. Traditionally speaking that is.

Datto

hobby
07-04-2013, 16:01
...to be a rock and not to roll... guess thats why you had to climb over?

Datto
07-04-2013, 18:38
When I was in Hot Springs, North Carolina on my AT thru-hike I was busy with chores and getting things done like I do when I reach town between naps.

W-O-W, was there some T-R-O-U-B-L-E in Hot Springs.

No doubt about it there were dangerous curves in that town. I'd seen 'em with my own eyes although my mama always told me not to stare because it was impolite (my mama did the best she could to raise me right).

Well those curves being a risk to church goers on busy Sunday mornings and me being a civic conscious person, I hiked out of Hot Springs with the intention of calling that guy at OSHA -- to let him know just in case he got more dangerous curve reports he could put me on the list of reporting people.

When I got to Jerry's Cabin I'd already known I could have one free telephone call from that Appalachian Trail shelter so I took the opportunity to call the guy at OSHA from the telephone there the shelter.

He wouldn't pick up.

Datto

Datto
07-04-2013, 21:18
No doubt about it there were dangerous curves in that town.

By they way, one of those dangerous curves had a mother. Contacted me concerning what I'd written about her daughter in my on-line AT trail journal.

I hadn't even mentioned anything about the shorty-shorts that were destined to stop at least a dozen thru-hikes and slow a couple dozen more to the point of who cares.

Anyhow, I got along well with the mother after I figured out she was pulling my chain for fun. Evidently she'd been following along on my trail journal from the beginning. Had a great personality, just like her daughter.

I remember thinking to myself, boy, this whole Internet thing is gonna be big.

If technology employees knew how attractive women on the Appalachian Trail are the number of H-1B visas would skyrocket. So please, for the sake of the economy, don't tell anyone.

Datto

Rasty
07-04-2013, 22:39
No doubt about it there were dangerous curves in that town.

By they way, one of those dangerous curves had a mother. Contacted me concerning what I'd written about her daughter in my on-line AT trail journal.

I hadn't even mentioned anything about the shorty-shorts that were destined to stop at least a dozen thru-hikes and slow a couple dozen more to the point of who cares.

Anyhow, I got along well with the mother after I figured out she was pulling my chain for fun. Evidently she'd been following along on my trail journal from the beginning. Had a great personality, just like her daughter.

I remember thinking to myself, boy, this whole Internet thing is gonna be big.

If technology employees knew how attractive women on the Appalachian Trail are the number of H-1B visas would skyrocket. So please, for the sake of the economy, don't tell anyone.

Datto

I think the Vietnamese spammer just applied for a H-1B