PDA

View Full Version : Creeper Trail into Damascus

ChinMusic
05-02-2010, 16:45
We have a group doing a section hike from Troutdale to Damascus.

Would it be a good idea to take the Creeper Trail from Creek Junction? Is is more scenic? I understand that it is an old railroad grade so the 10 miles would go by fairly quickly.

Egads
05-02-2010, 18:53
I've hiked this section of the AT & I've ridden a bike on the Creeper. IMO pedestrians should hike the AT since the creeper has lots of bike riders

Lugnut
05-02-2010, 19:02
I liked the Creeper better. Not so closed in and better scenery. YMMV

DesertMTB
05-02-2010, 19:31
I've hiked this section of the AT & I've ridden a bike on the Creeper. IMO pedestrians should hike the AT since the creeper has lots of bike riders

Bikers and hikers can coexist.

Bearpaw
05-02-2010, 19:36
The AT though that section is about 14 miles of PUDS. No views, no particularly nice scenery. The 10 level miles along the creek on the Creeper Trail are very pleasant. Just my opinion, having done both.

Hutch
05-02-2010, 19:43
Two things to consider !!!

How big is your group ??

Will you be hiking during the week or on the weekend ??
During the week the Creeper Trail is less crowded !!

I see hikers and bikers sharing this trail all the time, you should be fine.
Use common sense when crossing the trestles and try to stay to the right while walking and move off the trail when you stop.

Lone Wolf
05-02-2010, 20:16
We have a group doing a section hike from Troutdale to Damascus.

Would it be a good idea to take the Creeper Trail from Creek Junction? Is is more scenic? I understand that it is an old railroad grade so the 10 miles would go by fairly quickly.

no brainer. take the creeper. much more scenic plus you'll hit a cafe

10-K
05-02-2010, 20:41
The AT though that section is about 14 miles of PUDS. No views, no particularly nice scenery. The 10 level miles along the creek on the Creeper Trail are very pleasant. Just my opinion, having done both.

Yup...

When I hiked that section I really wanted to be on the Creeper Trail but being the slave to white blazes that I am, I couldn't bring myself to do it.

Next time, the Creeper Trail, no doubt about it.

John B
05-02-2010, 21:03
I hiked the AT on that section. If I did it again, I would 100% take the Creeper -- it's scenic and runs pretty much along side a nice creek.

bigcranky
05-02-2010, 21:06
Creeper. It's more scenic, and you can have a nice breakfast at the Creeper Trail Cafe in Taylor's Valley. Though if you are out on a summer weekend there are a lot of bikes.

ChinMusic
05-02-2010, 21:11
Two things to consider !!!

How big is your group ??

Will you be hiking during the week or on the weekend ??
During the week the Creeper Trail is less crowded !!

There are 5 or 6 of us but we will be spread out...couple here, couple there. Once we break camp in the morning we might not see each other again til evening.

We will be hitting this section the Wed before Trail Days.

The cafe sounds like a winner. Will be ready for a good meal by then.

Tennessee Viking
05-03-2010, 00:28
If you are a true-ist, then stay with the AT. If you are looking for scenary, then take the Creeper.

You really don't get a whole lot of views out of the AT. And there is good climb from Taylors Valley up to Saunders.

TOW
05-03-2010, 15:24
I've hiked this section of the AT & I've ridden a bike on the Creeper. IMO pedestrians should hike the AT since the creeper has lots of bike ridersplus it is harder on your feet than the AT.......