PDA

View Full Version : Trail Name For Dog

Waya
05-02-2010, 16:46
Has anyone given their dog a trail name?

Phreak
05-02-2010, 16:49
Yep, Maggie is "Energizer" and Suzi is "Mud Wallow".

FritztheCat
05-02-2010, 18:15
Wouldn't that confuse the dog after a while?

Skidsteer
05-02-2010, 19:36
Tucker(Mala's dog)is trailnamed "Stud Puppy".

maicheneb
05-02-2010, 20:21
Wouldn't that confuse the dog after a while?

Nope. Each of my dogs has its own series of nicknames. They answer to their 'real' name and each of their respective nicknames.

kayak karl
05-02-2010, 20:30
my dog was PRINCESS, the kids called her PUPPY all her life, but if i yelled Puppy she ignored me:)

my Dad's dog was DAWG. always liked that name.

Two Speed
05-02-2010, 22:12
Barney seems to understand that "Leaf Beard" is his trail name.

Seriously, they seem to respond to tone of voice as much as what you say. When they're pups it's probably better to be consistent.

Bama Jack & Sadie
05-02-2010, 22:35
My Sadie got the name of 'Princess' after on day one, she froze with fear at the stairs of Amicalola and I had to carry her halfway up before I ran out of gas and put her down. Up or down she was on her own four feet. Thankfully she chose up. She was immediately crowned the Princess at the first campfire story time.

http://whiteblaze.net/forum/vbg/showimage.php?i=40625&catid=531

AmonStone
05-06-2010, 15:02
Anybody ever bring a cat along on an AT hike?
Perhaps I'll bring my disabled cat along when I hit the trail.
He's missing the paw from one back leg, and from the knee down on the other.
We call him Scootch because that's what he does. He doesn't really walk so much as he scootches along.
Generally you pick him up and he'll lay across your shoulder, perfect position for carrying him.
Although, we can't declaw him, and the thought of cat claws meeting nylon tent or nylon sleeping bag would invoke some nightmares.
I can just picture waking up and there he is, hanging upside down from the ceiling of my tent.
Still, might be cool to bring him along.
The first altervatively-abled cat to ever walk the AT.

Jester2000
05-06-2010, 18:14
Anybody ever bring a cat along on an AT hike?
Perhaps I'll bring my disabled cat along when I hit the trail.
He's missing the paw from one back leg, and from the knee down on the other.
We call him Scootch because that's what he does. He doesn't really walk so much as he scootches along.
Generally you pick him up and he'll lay across your shoulder, perfect position for carrying him.
Although, we can't declaw him, and the thought of cat claws meeting nylon tent or nylon sleeping bag would invoke some nightmares.
I can just picture waking up and there he is, hanging upside down from the ceiling of my tent.
Still, might be cool to bring him along.
The first altervatively-abled cat to ever walk the AT.

Geek did. On whiteblaze his name is Jim Adams. The cat was Ziggy. As far as I'm aware, Ziggy was an able-bodied cat.

TOW
05-15-2010, 06:12
Any male animals I have ever had are called Ralph and the females are called Sally.

With one exception, my little cat is called Little Bit. The reason is that last year when he was rescued from under the house where he was born sick I just kept on telling him "All you got to do is hold on just a little bit."

To trail name your animal would just confuse them I think. But on the other hand ny dog Sally will answer to anything when you give her food just like a hiker would........

Ol Mole
05-15-2010, 06:18
Has anyone given their dog a trail name?

"Tacker" and "Gym Shorts"