PDA

View Full Version : How's My Loop? GSMNP Hiking Trip

tony_673
05-02-2010, 17:34
Hello!

A couple of my buddies and I are traveling down from Ohio to hike for four days in the GSMNP in late June. Our route goes as follows:

Day 1
Start:
Newfound Gap AT ------> Goshen Prong Trail -----> Campsite #23
Day 2
Goshen Prong Trail ----->Little River Trail -----> Campsite #30
Day 3
Relax, Re-hydrate, Re-whatever at Campsite #30
Day 4
Little River Trail----> Rough Creek Trail ----> Sugarland Mountain Trail----> Newfound Gap AT
End

Thoughts from anyone who's been in this area? Pictures? We're really looking forward to it and any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

Egads
05-02-2010, 18:54
Looks like a nice loop, plenty of water, have fun:D

Doctari
05-02-2010, 19:59
NICE loop, I have only done 1/2 of it, but that part is nice.
Camp 24 is on / near 2 semi large creeks, good sleeping. The official campsite (lots of "bootleg" ones near it) is through a small gate on your right after a 90 degree turn just before a moderate creek crossing. There is a small cave about 1/2 way from the AT to the campsite. Do you have a reservation?
When you cross the little river (there was a bridge when I was there last, about 8 years ago), camp 30 is to your right. Past camp 30, the LRT used to go all the way up to the AT. To the left after crossing the river the LRT is a gravel service road to Elkmont campground.
That is the extent of my knowledge that section. If you want a swim, go Left on LRT to the waterfall about 1.25 miles down. It's a small pool, but fun to swim in. Be careful getting down to it, not hard, but I think a fall would hurt,,, a lot!

sidebackside
05-02-2010, 20:15
Good choice of trails. Looks like a good one! Should be fun. If you have time, might wanna consider going on up to Chimney Top's. Awesome views!!! Enjoy your trip.

tony_673
05-03-2010, 01:37
Thanks for all the info! We're all really looking forward to it. I was down at Newfound Gap in November last year as a "tourist" and I can't wait to make it back.

We plan on calling for the reservations once we get to the one month maximum period of time that the park requires for making them.

Good recommendation on the Chimney Tops stop. I'd like to go, but that would add some extra miles to an already 14 mile day. I did hear something about a shortcut from Sugarland Mountain Trail to Chimney Tops Trail. I've heard that going off trail is not recommend or even legal though. Correct me if I'm wrong.

sidebackside
05-03-2010, 11:11
My mistake. You're hiking to the "Goshen Prong Trail". The trail from the AT to Chimney's is the "Road Prong Trail." So yea, it would add a couple extra miles. If you weren't already hiking the 14 miles, I'd say go for it. As to what you said about a shorcut from Sugarland Mountain to the Chimney's. I'm not familiar with it, but if you look at a GSMNP trail map, you can clearly see the 2 trails come very close together at one point. What lies in between, who knows? Either way the loop you're taking should be a good one!

Frolicking Dinosaurs
05-03-2010, 11:56
There are two trails that appear to be very close to each other on the map in the Chimney Tops area - however, one is at the top of a cliff and the other is at the bottom - the only way to connect is to cut down a steep ridge and thru some thick rhododendron hells. Even if cross-country hiking were legal in the GSMNP (which it isn't without a special permit) I would not recommend trying it in this area.

As for your loop - it looks well planned and totally doable to me. Hope you have a wonderful time.

tony_673
05-04-2010, 10:35
Good to know! Thanks!

liteweight
05-04-2010, 21:16
Tony, you will like both campsites. #23 is a large site with numerous flat tent spots and if I remember correctly pretty spread out. #30 is not heavily used but is a very pretty site right on the creek. It is also a really nice hike out to the Goshen Prong trailhead. You might be a little winded on your way back up to the AT, but this should be a great trip.

tony_673
05-05-2010, 13:38
So let me ask, when I reserve campsite 23, will our group be the only ones there or do they allow multiple reservations up to a certain amount of people? I'm not really all that concerned, but just wondered in case we show up and there's others there.

I understand campsite 30 doesn't require reservations, so I would expect that others may be staying there. The more the merrier I suppose, as long as their not a bunch of yahoos. :0

sidebackside
05-05-2010, 13:58
So let me ask, when I reserve campsite 23, will our group be the only ones there or do they allow multiple reservations up to a certain amount of people? I'm not really all that concerned, but just wondered in case we show up and there's others there.

I understand campsite 30 doesn't require reservations, so I would expect that others may be staying there. The more the merrier I suppose, as long as their not a bunch of yahoos. :0

Your group won't necessarily be the only one there. You may be, then again, you may not. It's hard to say. And yes, your correct. Only certain amount of people are allowed at each site. Either way it'll be a good trip. If other people are at the campsite, it shouldn't be a problem (feeling crowed). The campsites for the most part are pretty good size.

liteweight
05-05-2010, 20:46
#23 has twelve reservation spots. The site is big so you should have plenty of room between groups. I doubt it will be full, but I guess you never know.