PDA

View Full Version : Camera - Rechargeable VS AA's

Matty427
05-02-2010, 18:31
I'm buying a new hiking camera for my upcoming section hike (3 weeks long). I'm debating between the two types of cameras. The selection of AA cameras seems to be limited. I'm concerned that a rechargeable battery will not last the whole trip and was wondering what you use for your trips.

Lyle
05-02-2010, 18:44
Advantages for AA:

-- easy to replace with new batteries
-- AA can be purchased in most any gas station, camp store or convenience store
-- Can buy rechargeable to save money

Disadvantages for AA:

--Heavy (lithium are light, but not gauranteed in some cameras)
-- AA batteries do not hold as much power as most dedicated batteries, thus you will need to replace them more frequently

Advantages of Proprietary Batteries:

-- Usually much lighter for the equivalent power
-- Hold a charge much longer, will get more photos per charge
-- Most are much smaller than AA

Disadvantages of Proprietary:

-- Must carry or bounce a charger
-- New batteries are more expensive than AA

I have gotten over my concern for proprietary batteries. Buy one extra and carry it. Should be able to carry a light charger or bounce it once you figure out how long your batteries will last you. Easy to re-charge when on a zero day.

Car

Lyle
05-02-2010, 18:46
On re-reading your post, I would bet that with most cameras and the way most people use them, one proprietary battery and one spare should probably last three weeks. Just limit your reviewing of photos, that eats up the batteries.

Franco
05-02-2010, 19:12
Matty
Most camera specs now include the CIPA standard to measure battery performance.
As usual that will not tell you how many shots you will take with it, it will just tell you the theoretical difference between one and the other.
So if you have two cameras you fancy and one is rated 340 shots and the other 260 , you choose the former.
The CIPA standard involve taking shots in a particular sequence , using the flash and zoom in at a preset rate.
For example see the chart here :

http://www.dcresource.com/reviews/panasonic/dmc_zs7-review
an easy way to find that out is to Google the brand/model and Cipa like Canon 90 is CIPA.
Franco

Toolshed
05-02-2010, 20:24
If you go the rechargeable route, you will have to replace them within two years or so due to their diminished charging capacity. At least i find that with my Nickle Metal Hydrates...Though they do last longer than the old Nickle Cads.
My Pref is with AA's. I can always carry a spare set for about a buck and if I want to go the rechargeable route, I can get rechargeable AA's.

Rocketman
05-02-2010, 20:29
I'm buying a new hiking camera for my upcoming section hike (3 weeks long). I'm debating between the two types of cameras. The selection of AA cameras seems to be limited. I'm concerned that a rechargeable battery will not last the whole trip and was wondering what you use for your trips.

My section hikes are more nearly a month long.

I use cameras which accept AA batteries, and I use the Eveready Energizer Lithium batteries - buying them at Sam's club for roughly $1.50 per cell.

I have an old Eveready battery package which guarantees that they won't harm your camera (or your camera money back), and they never have with 3 different cameras.

What causes problems is that the older cameras will not have the correct voltage-discharge information to allow them to give a good ongoing estimate of the state of charge of the camera with the newer Li AA batteries.

The Li AA batteries are about 30% lighter than the alkiline batteries and less than half the weight of the heavier NIMH rechargables.

I carry an extra set of AA Li batteries, and replace them when the camera begins to slow down and otherwise act funny.

I don't know if the old guarantee is still available. You can call them. From thier website:

Just call 1-800-383-7323. Our customer service experts can answer all your Energizer questions. Or Contact Us (http://www.energizer.com/Pages/enr-contact.aspx)electronically and we'll get back to you within 24 hours.

The greater the megabyte content of the image, and the greater the display size, the greater the battery drain. I remember numbers as high as 600 pictures on a set of batteries, and have forgotten (as unimportant anymore) what I got on last years 30 day section hike.

I would suggest that you try the batteries out before embarking on the trip. Just in case that there is something that the batteries actually do manage to do to your camera. It will happen pretty fast if it is going to happen.

I have heard stores of some LED headlamps being burned out from the extra heat and extra light created by the slightly higher initial voltage of the Li AA and AAA cells. I don't think that the LED screens, for example, are as brightly and heavily driven by the batteries as the LED in a flashlight.

From the back of one of my AA12 Energizer packages purchased last year at Sams Club.

GUARANTEE: We will repair or replace, at out option, any device damaged by these energizer batteries. Guarantee void if batteries are charged by user or device. Contact 1 800 383-7323

Lyle
05-02-2010, 20:52
I would suggest that you try the batteries out before embarking on the trip. Just in case that there is something that the batteries actually do manage to do to your camera. It will happen pretty fast if it is going to happen.

Not just the batteries, but make sure you try out the camera for a while too. I made the mistake a few years ago of getting a brand new camera, charged the battery, took about 8 or 10 shots with it, then packed it along on a section hike. When I tried to fire it up as I was setting out on the trail, it wouldn't start up. I carried that blessed thing for 17 days and didn't get a single photo. Had to exchange it when I got home.

Learned that lesson.