PDA

View Full Version : Preparing in the Flatlands

Sniddle
05-02-2010, 23:17
First of all, I live in the middle of Kansas, a place that is not friendly for the outdoorsman.

So, I leave for Maine in 30 days and am looking to get into at least manageable hiking shape for the SoBo trip, considering I start with Katahdin and then the white mountains(oh boy!). The decision to go was only made 3 weeks ago.

the only trail within about 50 miles of my APT is the Tallgrass Prairie National Preserve that has a 6 mile loop through the preserve. This is not a challenging trail.

I am planning to climb a peak in Colorado with my sister in 2 weeks or so, but beyond that I'm baffled as to how to get into hiking shape. My only experience is with rugby training and running, which don't train the right muscles. Help!

What are some things I can do to make the first few weeks more bearable and fruitful?

garlic08
05-03-2010, 01:23
You're a 23 yo rugby player, so don't worry too much about it. You're already in better shape than most, I bet.

One of the major aspects of hiking the AT is that it's a lot of walking. Sure, there is some serious climbing, but you will be walking millions of steps. With that in mind, some of the best training I do is just walking a lot. You might be able to help things out just by walking your planned daily mileage a couple of times a week until it's time to leave. If you plan on averaging 15 miles per day, do that, with your pack, on level ground, relatively fast (3+ mph), with one or two short breaks. You'll find out if your shoes, socks, pack, etc. are comfortable and you'll break in your feet, which should prevent blisters on the trail, and that's a big deal.

The hill climbing you get in Colorado will be a bonus. (By the way, climbing in Colorado in two weeks might mean a fairly serious snow climb.) If there are any multistory buildings in your town, do stairs with your pack. You can also strengthen your thighs and ankles by stepping up on a chair, lots of reps, with weight. My guess is that this will be pretty simple for you, and all you'll need is some fine-tuning for the walking.

mudhead
05-03-2010, 05:26
Bet you could find a grain elevator in the area. They might let you do the stairs if you ask nice. Or a college building.

modiyooch
05-03-2010, 06:39
You will get into shape as you hike. Don't focus on mileage, just enjoy your day walking at a comfortable rate. Take your time.

10-K
05-03-2010, 07:26
I read a lot of comments, usually by people who don't run, that say running is of limited use in training for a hike.

I beg to differ.... running is a great way to get into hiking shape. It builds cardiovasclar capacity, strengthens joints and the skeletal system and builds lower body strength and endurance - all of which are very useful hiking.

Running, combined with a weight training routine, IMO, is a most excellent way to prepare for a hike.

FWIW, if you can run 5 miles without stopping you're already probably in better hiking shape than 75% of the folks who are starting out anyway.

Anecdotally, I'm pushing 49 years old and live on the coast. There's not a hill within 75 miles.... When I hike I have no problems doing 20-25 mile days (and often more), consistently without injury and all I do is run and spend 30 minutes at the gym 4 times a week.

bigcranky
05-03-2010, 07:50
Yup, running is great. The cardio improvement is a huge help in backpacking.

Yes, it uses "different muscles." Yes, there are always stories about marathoners who are shocked, shocked that carrying a pack up a mountain is hard. But the running helps a lot.

The other thing I would suggest is to walk for an hour or more each day with your pack, fully loaded. It'll help if it's raining really hard.

Beyond that, as the other posters have mentioned, you're already in way better shape than most thru-hike starters.

Good luck.

Blissful
05-03-2010, 10:31
Best conditioning is to get there and start hiking day after day. :)

modiyooch
05-03-2010, 16:00
I read a lot of comments, usually by people who don't run, that say running is of limited use in training for a hike.

I beg to differ.... running is a great way to get into hiking shape. .For what it's worth, I am a runner, an athlete and from sea level; and ,I am one that says that running did not get me into backpacking shape. I think it's two different animals.
I agree with Blissful "Best conditioning is to get there and start hiking day after day".

10-K
05-03-2010, 16:07
For what it's worth, I am a runner, an athlete and from sea level; and ,I am one that says that running did not get me into backpacking shape. I think it's two different animals.
I agree with Blissful "Best conditioning is to get there and start hiking day after day".

Well, let's be clear...

Hauling a backpack up and down mountains is never going to be easy and effortless regardless of the shape you're in.

I don't disagree that the best way to train for anything is to actually do what you're training for *but* the physcial benefits of running also benefit hiking - especially in the area of injury prevention, leg and core strength and increased aerobic capacity.

Lemni Skate
05-03-2010, 17:01
My daughter runs. She is good. She's only 12 years old and runs a mile in under 6 minutes and 2 miles in under 12:50. She runs 5K's in the 21's. She can go up a mountain and come back down and check on me several times while I huff up it. Once we get up there I'm dead and she's dancing around. I think running definitely gets you in shape...at least better shape than me. Of course she weighs 84 pounds and I weigh 250 and I carry quite a bit more weight in my pack, but I think we could trade packs and she'd still dog me.

RUN!

Dogwood
05-03-2010, 17:17
The running will increase your cardio conditioning and hit the stairs or Stairmaster.

Chif
05-03-2010, 17:26
Stair machines and inclined treadmill at the gym will help train some different muscles for uphill rather than just running on flat ground. I haven't found anything that helps with downhill.

garlic08
05-03-2010, 17:29
...I haven't found anything that helps with downhill.

Now that's an excellent point. From what I can tell, most injuries and accidents happen on descents, so it would be good training. How about stairs?

MrMRSWalkinghome
05-03-2010, 17:29
When we started we were in the worse shape of our lives. The only thing we did to prepare was buy stuff (no joke lol). Honestly, it is mental more than physical. You just need to take it one step at a time, start small, dont push it, take zero's, take short days time to time, build it up. You will know when there is a change and when you can push more miles. Enjoy it all and dont rush.

But if you really want to train, get a day pack, load it with about 1/2 to 2/3 of your trail pack weight and do about 5 miles a day of walking. It works the same muscles but without over taxing and builds all areas equally.

That's what we're doing now to keep in trail shape, working well so far.

Sniddle
05-03-2010, 18:49
Thanks for the advice. As to the snow climb, I trust my sister (who lives in the area), to pick an appropriate route that wont be too crazy. The girl is a full on Colorado convert.

Thanks for the advice guys.

jwalden
05-04-2010, 00:17
What pace are you aiming to hit? I walked onto the trail at 21 from college, where the only exercise I did was frisbee for an hour or two once a week plus daily walking around a small urban campus to get to and from classes. I still finished in 139 days (about a week ahead of the semi-soft 15/day goal I'd somewhat arbitrarily predicted when asked by my future employer when I'd be starting -- which didn't stop me from being 220 miles behind that pace in mid-NJ, but I had my eyes on the prize and recouped the deficit while still having fun [except a couple times, but those were due to short-term deadlines rather than the long-term one]). Unless you have a very hard, very early deadline, you're at an age where I'd say don't go out of your way to train beyond remaining somewhat active, just don't be stupid at the start. Enjoy the mountains while they last; after the White Mountains it's pretty easy to recoup mileage if you have to do it.

Graywolf
05-04-2010, 09:13
Kansas isn't as flat as said to be. The Fint Hills make a wonderfull training area, and a good place to get a great sunset in to. Also, The ADT and Trans America Bike Route runs thru kansas..The wind in Kansas can get pretty stiff, ride into the wind, gets a great workout.

As the one poster said, hiking the number of miles you plan on getting in on the AT is great training, and Kansas has enough open spaces to do just that. The new Hike/Bike trail put in just south of Kansas City is one great way. Don't let the flatness of Kansas fool you. There is a lot of training oppertunities to give a good work out..

Graywolf

Pedaling Fool
05-04-2010, 09:25

I beg to differ.... running is a great way to get into hiking shape. It builds cardiovasclar capacity, strengthens joints and the skeletal system and builds lower body strength and endurance - all of which are very useful hiking.

Running, combined with a weight training routine, IMO, is a most excellent way to prepare for a hike.

FWIW, if you can run 5 miles without stopping you're already probably in better hiking shape than 75% of the folks who are starting out anyway.

Anecdotally, I'm pushing 49 years old and live on the coast. There's not a hill within 75 miles.... When I hike I have no problems doing 20-25 mile days (and often more), consistently without injury and all I do is run and spend 30 minutes at the gym 4 times a week.

For what it's worth, I am a runner, an athlete and from sea level; and ,I am one that says that running did not get me into backpacking shape. I think it's two different animals.
IMHO, you're both right. Running is a great prepatory exercise, but it can't be understated that other forms, especially weightlifting, of exercise must be done to have a healthy strong body.

If someone, less one of those rare animals, only participate in one form of exercise, the body will become very apt at it, but once another activity is taken up the body kind of freaks out. In many respects the body is lazy and does not like change. We need to keep throwing different things at it to keep it from wearing out due to unchanging repetition.

Sniddle
05-04-2010, 10:18
What pace are you aiming to hit? I walked onto the trail at 21 from college, where the only exercise I did was frisbee for an hour or two once a week plus daily walking around a small urban campus to get to and from classes. I still finished in 139 days (about a week ahead of the semi-soft 15/day goal I'd somewhat arbitrarily predicted when asked by my future employer when I'd be starting -- which didn't stop me from being 220 miles behind that pace in mid-NJ, but I had my eyes on the prize and recouped the deficit while still having fun [except a couple times, but those were due to short-term deadlines rather than the long-term one]). Unless you have a very hard, very early deadline, you're at an age where I'd say don't go out of your way to train beyond remaining somewhat active, just don't be stupid at the start. Enjoy the mountains while they last; after the White Mountains it's pretty easy to recoup mileage if you have to do it.

I need to be finished in 6 months at the absolute latest. I have a job waiting for me back home that'll only let me come back if I work the christmas holiday season.

10-K
05-04-2010, 10:37
I need to be finished in 6 months at the absolute latest. I have a job waiting for me back home that'll only let me come back if I work the christmas holiday season.

That's about 12 miles a day, every day, for 180 days.

If you hike 15 miles a day you could even take a zero every 4 days and still make it. (I should probably double check my math....)

warraghiyagey
05-04-2010, 10:40
The 100 mile has a nice way of ramping you up quickly enough to handle southern Maine and NH. . . . :sun

Ladytrekker
05-04-2010, 11:15
Do you have any access to bridges in Florida alot of people train by hiking back and forth across the bridges. But in Florida we have lots of bridges not sure what you have in Kansas.

Dogwood
05-04-2010, 11:54
Running up and down stairs, or as I like to do bleachers, at the nearby high school, will help you prepare for downhills as well as uphills. When the bleachers are covered with snow or it's raining hard I go indoors and find stairwells to run. If I can't find those situations there is always the Stairmaster and inclined treadmill in the gym.

Blissful
05-04-2010, 13:58
Running helps cardiovascularly sure (I ran before my hikes this spring). It does little for getting your knees, feet and ankles in shape for backpacking (muscle groups are used differently plus the pressure of backpack load) or help with blisters, etc. I had lots of problems and had to get used to it while out there with low miles

10-K
05-04-2010, 16:24
Running helps cardiovascularly sure (I ran before my hikes this spring). It does little for getting your knees, feet and ankles in shape for backpacking (muscle groups are used differently plus the pressure of backpack load) or help with blisters, etc. I had lots of problems and had to get used to it while out there with low miles

Just a point of clairification - when I say 'running is good preparation for backpacking' I don't mean running every once in a while, irregularly, or running a 100 feet and then stopping for a smoke and a pork rind.

I'm talking about a regular routine, done consistently over a period of time and, for maximum benefit, paired with weight training. Even if you ignore thiis you're still left with the fact that the better shape you're in period the easier your hike will be. If you can run 5-10 miles without stopping, you're in better shape than most everyone and unless you're a genetic anomaly you'll find hiking less stressful than someone coming off the couch.

I don't know what kind of running you were doing (how long, how far, etc) but I would submit to you that whatever problems you had hiking would have been even worse had you not been running - assuming you were running enough to reap the benefits.

Hiking is hard and I don't care what you do - carrying a backpack up and down mountains is never going to be easy-peasy. If you hiked every day of your life it'd still be tough.