PDA

View Full Version : Fuel Cannisters in Pawling, NY?

Kiwi1
05-03-2010, 00:31
Does anyone know if I'll be able to by fuel cannisters for my Stove in Pawling, NY? I plan on flying to NY and taking the train up to Pawling - don't think I'll be arriving on a weekend so not stopping at the actual Appalachian Trail station.

Thanks for your help.

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 00:43
I don't know for sure but if no one else replies you might contact this store as they are right near the train station in Pawling and have some hiking supplies.

http://www.pawlingcycle.com/outdoor.asp

sasquatch2014
05-03-2010, 06:19
They are closed on Mondays but I know they carry both white gas and Alcohol not sure about canisters. If they don't have them I am sure I could get one or two for you and leave them for you. When do you arrive to start your hike?

stranger
05-03-2010, 15:17
Your best best is to get fuel in New York City, as there are a few good outfitters in town, you will most likely go through Penn Station or Grand Central, you might want to do a search on Eastern Mountain Sports and Paragon Sports in NYC, Paragon is downtown not sure about EMS.

Appalachian Tater
05-03-2010, 15:44
Your best best is to get fuel in New York City, as there are a few good outfitters in town, you will most likely go through Penn Station or Grand Central, you might want to do a search on Eastern Mountain Sports and Paragon Sports in NYC, Paragon is downtown not sure about EMS.

The train to Pawling is from Grand Central.

Tent and Trails is truly downtown, Paragon is right at Union Square, EMS is on Broadway in SoHo. Tent and Trails is really the only true hiking store that I know of, Paragon also has as good selection of hiking stuff. EMS seems to be less for serious hikers in my opinion though they do carry some stuff.

It would be much easier for him to pick it up at the store in Pawling though, it would take ten or fifteen minutes total as it is right at the train station where he is going anyway. It would take longer than that for him to go from the train at Union Square to the hiking section at Paragon by the time he found his way out of the station, to the store, and upstairs, much less travel there and back.

I did just call Paragon and Tent and Trails and they both said they carry canisters. The guy at Paragon didn't seem to know what he was talking about and I simply don't trust that he wasn't meaning empty fuel bottles even though I explained it. The guy at Tent and Trails seem amused that I had to ask, that of course they carry them.

Kiwi1, I still think you should email the store in Pawling and find out if they have the exact canister you need and then get them to hold it for you or else let Sasquatch help out. If that doesn't work out I can go by Paragon and check to see if they have what you need, no problem, it's right near where I live, let me know. That would be the easiest place for you to get to.

Kevin A. Boyce
05-03-2010, 20:49
Kiwi... If you cannot find one, the EMS in Poughkeepsie carries them, as well as my EMS in Danbury...

Just one thing, which stove would this be and does it tkae the standard MSR/Jetboil version?

Someone at the Poughkeepsie Eastern Mountain Sport maybe able to help you, if not, let me know I maybe able to meet you if the timing works out to get you the canisters you need.

stranger
05-03-2010, 23:34
I wasn't aware of anyplace in Pawling that carried canisters...but sounds like good advice on here

sasquatch2014
05-04-2010, 12:26
He normally has some but is out and due to them being considered a hazmat for shipping needs to buy a bunch all at once. He said that he may get more in but it will be a month or so. He does have both Alcohol and White Gas by the oz for those that need that.

makoboy
05-04-2010, 13:18
If you are heading up to Pawling on Metro North out of Grand Central, Tents and Trails is really easy to get to. Once in GCT take the #4 subway train downtown to the City Hall / Brooklyn Bridge stop (15 min ride) then its a 4 minute walk to the store (NW on Murry St, left onto Broadway, 1st right onto Park Place (T&T is at 21 Park Place)). The round trip could take you an hour if you dont get sucked into wandering around the store or the city.

Appalachian Tater
05-04-2010, 13:26
If you are heading up to Pawling on Metro North out of Grand Central, Tents and Trails is really easy to get to.

Paragon is much closer, it's at Union Square which is the first stop on the Lexington AVE express going downtown from Grand Central.

Kiwi1, if you let me know exactly what canister you need then I will check to see if Paragon has it.

Kiwi1
05-04-2010, 20:44
Thanks for all the help everyone. Will PM Sasquatch.

fw2008
05-08-2010, 11:19
I don't know if this is going to be a problem or not...
Going through GCT, your pack will be subject to opening and searching, per NYPD and Homeland Security procedures.
Considering the latest incident in NYC, I would not be carrying any type of explosive or combustible gas or liquid through or on any public transportation system.

While it is relatively unlikely that you will be targeted for a search, the delay and stress a search that revealed your carrying such materials would be prohibitive of your enjoying your trek.

I would buy the gas up in Pawling.

How long do you plan to hike for? If it's a long hike, you have many other re-supply options, and could just eat cold food until you get the gas.

FW